SASS Wire Forum

Red River D belt buckles

Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439

I may not be able to find the one I bought a long time ago and the ones on EBay look stupid!  I can’t remember who had the one that looked that exact copies, or I maybe out of luck. 

Anyone have a source that I can shop at?

thanks!

Western and Wildlife Wonders  (509)782-3018   $30.00

orders @westernandwildlifewonders.com

JRJ

I have one I purchased from not sure where it is dated 1948 instead of 1946 and has no initials in the lower left corner like the originals . Just saying they aren't all the same .

Woodfox

where it is dated 1948 instead of 1946 and has no initials in the lower left corner

Here's the rest of the story:   http://www.redriverdbeltbuckle.com/

The original buckle maker (Bohlin) made a small batch in 1946 on orders from Howard Hawks (director of the Red River movie).  Each individualized with two or three initials in the lower left for the intended recipients (John Wayne, Howard Hawks, etc).  Since John Wayne disliked wearing anything with his (alias) initials on it, he traded his buckle for Hawks', and only wore that one.

Believe the maker then made a larger lot for general sale in 1948 (at the time of release of the film).  Those are normally blank in the lower left section.  These are the ones with the 1948 date in upper right.

The original JW buckle went back to Bohlin later to be copied again, was reported stolen, and has not resurfaced since.

So, even the "originals" are not all dated the same.  And non-Bohlin copies are almost all you will find for sale.

Good luck, GJ

Archived