SASS Wire Forum

Rossi R92 in 454 Casull-info/help

sassnetguy50

Hello,

I'm looking for a quick handling carbine to take deer at 150yd and feral hog at 20yd.  The choices have been narrowed down to the 454 Casull in the round barrel 1892.  Rossi by Braztech seems to make the only one under $1,500.  I like the fiber optic sights for my bad eyes.  The factory tapped barrel for a scope.   Quick action while shouldered and it should pass any gun bans.

Questions:

How do I tell an early production non-tapped barrel from a late production tapped barrel without removing the sight?

Should I have a gunsmith borescope it for throat wear before buying it or are they too mild?

Anything else I should look at specifically related to the 454 in a 92?

20" or 16" round barrel model?  I'm leaning towards the quick handling of the 16" but the extra sight radius and velocity is tempting in the 20".

The other options were an AR15 in 450 Bushmaster or the HighPoint carbine in 10mm.

They are very 'tuff' on the shoulder. -_-

I say that as someone who owns and often shoots a Freedom Arms .454 Casull mod 83, w/4 3/4" bll revolver.

For 150yds-A .44 mag will serve you just fine. ;)

OLG

Will store bought 44 magnum cartridges be sufficient for 350 pound live weight at 150yd?  People claim 2,000FPS with handloads but I don't have a loader.  I would prefer to keep the barrel at 16" but will switch to 20" if necessary to achieve the ethical take energy.  There are opportunities to take them at longer distances but I'm not confident in an ethical shot with sights beyond 150yd.

You can do your own comparisons here.  http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/

AFAIK the default velocities are for factory ammo.

For the same bullet weight the 44 Mag has better sectional density and will give you about 25 yards better performance.

JMHO but neither round is adequate for a hog past 100 yards.

28 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Have you thought of the Marlin 1895 in 45-70?  It’s a proven hog and deer getter at the ranges you describe, and since you don’t reload the ammo can be store bought much cheaper than 454 Cassuls.

A 45-70 would be lethal on hogs out past 175 yards no problem.

56 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You can do your own comparisons here.  http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/

AFAIK the default velocities are for factory ammo.

For the same bullet weight the 44 Mag has better sectional density and will give you about 25 yards better performance.

JMHO but neither round is adequate for a hog past 100 yards.

That page is bookmarked, thanks.

The hogs will only be taken short range with this rifle.  IMO they are a varmint that should run away.  If they don't,  the next step is charging children so the hog needs dispatched.  Feral hogs don't have a season or require a tag here so its shoot on sight.  When we specifically hunt for them, the bottleneck bolt actions come out.

33 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Have you thought of the Marlin 1895 in 45-70?  It’s a proven hog and deer getter at the ranges you describe, and since you don’t reload the ammo can be store bought much cheaper than 454 Cassuls.

Yes, I've tried that route.  The Marlin was two heavy at 7-7.5pounds in 444 and 45-70.  By switching to the 1892 platform, I figure to save a little over two pounds.  45-70 ammo availability and variety has increased greatly the last couple years in local stores.  The hunting load was impressive.  The price per round isn't really a factor for this rifle.  It'll be a hunting/dispatch only carbine that will see 2 boxes at most per year.

If there are any other suggestions for a platform under 5 pounds without scope, please tell me.

I would get a 44Mag .

This would serve all your needs and at 1/2 The cost .

IMHO.

Rooster

Howdy:

This is a rather light firearm as you know.  The recoil is rather stout due to its weight and the power of the cartridge.  While I have not hunted with it, I would be amazed that any hog with a proper shot placement would  not suffer a relatively quick death.  It really punches your shoulder - believe me.

STL Suomi

Poorly edited but you can figure this out:

#          Name          Muzzle Velocity  (Avg. f.p.s.)       Muzzle Energy (Avg. ft-lbs.)       Bullet Weight (Avg. gr.)       Data Points       Case Capacity (Avg. grs. H2O)

1.       .44 Remington Magnum      1440     1199     261     325     37.9
 2.       .454 Casull                                1684     1724     282     112     44.7

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

If you do get a 92 in 454, consider shooting 45 +p Buffalo bore. Still a lot of punch.

Had to look that up: 260gr HP gas checked, 1890FPS in a 20" barrel.  Will have to read up on how that gaping hollow point flys.  That is basically a 454 load.  I'd prefer to shoot 45 Colt for the Americana of it rather than a 60s or 80s invention.  

As a hunting rifle, I would normally lean towards the greater availability instandard pressure ammunition.  This rifle will be for local use so lost, mispacked, bad batch ammo on a trip won't matter.  

So it is down to the used '92 in 454 to have the action length needed for 45+p or a new R92 in 44 mag and save $200.  16" either was, the factory 44 mag loses speed in a 20" barrel according to a couple articles.

2 hours ago, St. Louis Suomi SASS #31905 said:

Howdy:

This is a rather light firearm as you know.  The recoil is rather stout due to its weight and the power of the cartridge.  While I have not hunted with it, I would be amazed that any hog with a proper shot placement would  not suffer a relatively quick death.  It really punches your shoulder - believe me.

STL Suomi

Poorly edited but you can figure this out:

#          Name          Muzzle Velocity  (Avg. f.p.s.)       Muzzle Energy (Avg. ft-lbs.)       Bullet Weight (Avg. gr.)       Data Points       Case Capacity (Avg. grs. H2O)

1.       .44 Remington Magnum      1440     1199     261     325     37.9
 2.       .454 Casull                                1684     1724     282     112     44.7

The avg fps listed for the 44 Mag looks like it is for pistol and not rifle.

My Brother-in-law has a 92 in 454 .

WOW does that thing kill from both ends .

I can kill anything in my State of Michigan with my 44 Mag .

With out killing my shoulder. 

I would dare say it kicks harder then a 94 in 30/30 .

Rooster 

Archived