SASS Wire Forum

WTB 45-60 brass

Hoss

Just acquired a 76 Uberti Winchester. Need  some brass, and pet loads. 

6 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Good Evening:

You probably mean 45-60

You are correct! Fixed it. 45-60 is enough of a unicorn!!!!

4 hours ago, Maddog Al said:

I believe you can cut down 45-70 to 45-60.  Might be easier to find 70 brass.

Yes on this route. I looked on Buffalo Arms site , they have none , but the price was 2.39 each. 45-70 brass runs about .50 each. Just takes a bit of trimming.

That can be tiresome , many years ago I made a bunch of 30 Herrett brass from 30-30 cases and hand-trimmed them all with my hand-cranked RCBS rotary case trimmer.

Had blisters galore after making 100 cases.:P

Good luck , Rex :D

• 1 month later...

Still looking for 45-60 brass

Johnny Meadows has 100 new Jaimeson cases listed on gunBroker.

Works well in my Uberti '76

--Dawg

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792155755

Just got a flyer from Starline yesterday   They have it but only 250 per bag        GW

1 hour ago, G W Wade said:

Just got a flyer from Starline yesterday   They have it but only 250 per bag        GW

Really? I can’t find it on their website. Are you sure it’s 45-60 and not 40-65? If so, can you provide any further information? I’ll order up 250

6 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Really? I can’t find it on their website. Are you sure it’s 45-60 and not 40-65? If so, can you provide any further information? I’ll order up 250

Guess I got things screwed up again   Redwood is right 40/65 is at Starline not what he is looking for      GW

4 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Guess I got things screwed up again   Redwood is right 40/65 is at Starline not what he is looking for      GW

Damn it. I really wanted to be wrong. Thanks for keeping an eye out though. You just never know sometimes. 

14 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Johnny Meadows has 100 new Jaimeson cases listed on gunBroker.

Works well in my Uberti '76

--Dawg

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792155755

Crumbs! Just missed it. 

Trim 45-70 brass to 1.89 inches and it's 45-60.  No other modification needed. 

My best load is a Lee 340 gr soft lead ( about 3% tin) bullet sized to .458,  25.7 grs H-4198, Winchester lg rifle primer. Blue Angel lube. 

Do not used mag primers in this cal. it seems to screw your muzzle velocities up by pushing the bullet out of the crimp before the powder is really burning well even with H-777.  Or at least that was my experience with it. Does the same thing in my Spencers.  

22 hours ago, Irontree said:

Trim 45-70 brass to 1.89 inches and it's 45-60.  No other modification needed. 

My best load is a Lee 340 gr bullet sized to .458,  25.7 grs H-4198, Winchester lg rifle primer. Blue Angel lube. 

I've pushed this load up to 28 grs for hunting Elk (muzzle velocity was then around 1460fps ) and my Uberti handled it fine but other than for hunting I don't see much benefit to burning the extra powder.

Do not used mag primers in this cal. it seems to screw your muzzle velocities up by pushing the bullet out of the crimp before the powder is really burning well even with H-777.  Or at least that was my experience with it. Does the same thing in my Spencers.  

I have some trimmed 45-70 cases that came with the rifle, and I got a jig from a 3D printer and a mini chop saw from Harbor Freight, so can make more. Just hoping to find some 45-60 headstamps! 

Gee Hoss ( hey that's funny!),

Get a stamp set at Harbor Freight and over stamp the "7" with a "6".   45-70 brass is usually half price or less of 45-60.

Tell you what, PM me your address and I'll send you 20 of 45-60 Jamison,  you send back 35 of 45-70 matched brand maker, untrimmed ( I'm picky so I'll do that myself).

I never read the silly head stamp before I shoot something with it anyway.

While I'm thinking of it, don't try that  load in an original 1876.  Outside of the fact that it might be too stiff for the gun depending on the year of manufacture and whether it was made with nickel steel, the bore of the original 45-60 WCF and 45-75 WCF  was in the area of .450-.451. 

So like the original Sharps rifles in .45 ( bore .450) you don't want to run  .457 to .459 bullets through them. 

That's why there was .45-70 Government as opposed to .45-70 Sharps.

A. Uberti uses the ,457 bore in all the large .45 calibers for their rifles 

Sorry if I've rattled on too much.  

It’s a Uberti-Win 76. So that load would be fine. Guy I. Ought rifle from had 300 grn Bullets with 28 grn 4198. Pretty snappy!

so far I’ve been pleased with a 305 grn bullet and 12.0 Unique. 

And thanks for the offer. I’ll dig thru my stuff and get some 45-70 headed your way. 

Archived