SASS Wire Forum

73 Leather Butt Stock wrap

Randingo

The dagger point on the 73's butt stock has got to go.  I am 6' tall and do not wish to loose any length of pull.  I would like a it leather wrapped.  I know i'll have to flatten it out a bit, but are there options out there that will assist me?

Thanks!!!

Are you referring to the crescent stock?  What I do is take a piece of yoga mat or similar material and 'fill' in the crescent and place a leather wrap over it to keep it in place.  This adds both cushion and make the stock flatter against the shoulder.

6 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

Are you referring to the crescent stock?  What I do is take a piece of yoga mat or similar material and 'fill' in the crescent and place a leather wrap over it to keep it in place.  This adds both cushion and make the stock flatter against the shoulder.

Yes.  Thank you.  Sounds like that may work well.  Who makes a good leather cover??   Thanks again!!

1 minute ago, Randingo said:

Yes.  Thank you.  Sounds like that may work well.  Who makes a good leather cover??   Thanks again!!

I like the leather covers that don't have a seam at the back, so I use Kirkpatricks.  But if you are going for something 'purdy', Ricochet Roy makes some nice ones.

Totes

4 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

I like the leather covers that don't have a seam at the back, so I use Kirkpatricks.  But if you are going for something 'purdy', Ricochet Roy makes some nice ones.

Totes

Do you have his contact info?

Persimmon Dan has the best wraps out there in my opinion....

He puts some padding where the butt cap is and it really helps hold the rifle in place. It has sueded leather where the cap is and it holds the rifle to your shoulder well. He builds it over the crescent and it works it just works! 

http://www.customgunleather.com/site/ContactUs/tabid/55/Default.aspx

Cowboys Shooter Supply offers 73 butt covers for both cut and uncut. Sassy and I have them for 73s (both versions) and SKBs.  Very reasonably priced.

If you have miter saw, cutting tip off is easy (if I can do it, then it can not be to hard). After cut, you can follow with thin pad of rubber, leather, etc on end then cover with one of these 73 "cut stock" butt covers.

Or, you could learn to shoot it the way it was designed to be shot.

Hiked out a little bit farther on your shoulder so the crescent encircles the shoulder joint.  That way the crescent does what it is supposed to do and keeps the butt from sliding up or down. That way the 'dagger points' will not contact you at all.

3 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Hiked out a little bit farther on your shoulder so the crescent encircles the shoulder joint.  That way the crescent does what it is supposed to do and keeps the butt from sliding up or down. That way the 'dagger points' will not contact you at all.

Shooting that way causes me to bring my head and eyes down to the sights rather than bring them up to my eyes.  I need a flatter butt plate as to allow it to sit higher in my shoulder.  

9 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

I think Driftwood has a good point that the crescent plate was made to help the shooter. The speed in which we operate the rifles at recent times is a little different than the speed 100+ years ago. This game is about speed and accuracy in the scoring. BTW - I struggle with both at times. A well designed stock cover can help the shooter. From my moderate experience picking up and shouldering the rifle, staying on target and then setting down the rifle is where there is the biggest difference in time for most shooters. There is not a big difference in time operating the lever a lot of the time during a live stage. Yes, there are exceptions either way. A good stock butt cover will only help a shooter. I really like they way a well fitted crescent plate looks on a stock. I wouldn't consider changing the crescent plate on my high wall.

Good luck on your decision!

I've had the 73 for about two months and shot 3 matches with it.  I used a Marlin prior to that.  The 73 has been a struggle to keep on target while running the action.  The stiff action is most of the issue but that is being cured this week.  The crescent but plate is causing the rifle to sit low on my shoulder which in turn causes me to tilt my head down to the sight.  The Marlin with it's flat butt plate sits high on my shoulder allowing me to place the bottom of the plate in my shoulder which brings the sights up to my eye .  

I understand the design of the 73's stock, it just doesn't work for me.  I plan to take Billy Boots advice an cut the stock.  Will shape it to match the Marlin and put a leather cover on it.

Thanks for all the info and advice!!!

2 hours ago, Randingo said:

I've had the 73 for about two months and shot 3 matches with it.  I used a Marlin prior to that.  The 73 has been a struggle to keep on target while running the action.  The stiff action is most of the issue but that is being cured this week.  The crescent but plate is causing the rifle to sit low on my shoulder which in turn causes me to tilt my head down to the sight.  The Marlin with it's flat butt plate sits high on my shoulder allowing me to place the bottom of the plate in my shoulder which brings the sights up to my eye .  

I understand the design of the 73's stock, it just doesn't work for me.  I plan to take Billy Boots advice an cut the stock.  Will shape it to match the Marlin and put a leather cover on it.

Thanks for all the info and advice!!!

You got a guy working on that action who will make it soooo smoooooth.  Lefty W can do it....and probably cut that stock if you want him to.  I can send you the cover to try.  Good luck.

13 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

You got a guy working on that action who will make it soooo smoooooth.  Lefty W can do it....and probably cut that stock if you want him to.  I can send you the cover to try.  Good luck.

PM sent.

On 5/24/2018 at 10:45 PM, Randingo said:

Shooting that way causes me to bring my head and eyes down to the sights rather than bring them up to my eyes.  I need a flatter butt plate as to allow it to sit higher in my shoulder.  

I raise my right elbow nice and high, which brings the rifle up to my face.

I also do not stand straight on to the target but instead face the target at about 45 degrees, which slings the rifle across my chest.

Of course, I am not a fast shooter, and what I do may not work for everybody.

10 hours ago, Rustler, SASS #33316 said:

You may want to check out some of these butt stock covers -

http://ddbleather.com/stockcovers/

Amazing. I did not know about him!

Gunstock Cover. He is in Michigan and makes very cool buttstock covers. He will also put extra material in where the crescent is making it flat like a shotgun. 

Archived