SASS Wire Forum

Combat handguns in the Information Age

Pat Riot

I read this article just because of the title. Since Google has decided guys like me just cannot hide from news articles anymore they plant news feeds at the bottom of my "search screen" which I do my damnedest to ignore and I cant't get rid of them.

Anyway the title grabbed me, and I am glad it did. 

"Does a Combat Handgun Really Matter in the Information Age Warfare?"

My first thought was "Okay, here we go. Some limp-wrister is going to rail against our troops having handguns."

This title was "click bait". I took the bait. Glad I did. 

This is the real title of the article:

"Does a Combat Handgun Really Matter in the Current Warfare?"

http://www.tactical-life.com/military-and-police/combat-handgun-information-age/

:FlagAm:

"The primary strength of the military handgun is not its effectiveness or its lethality. It is, rather, its simple portability."

That, I think, sums it up.  No one is saying that a handgun is a replacement for a battle rifle or that it should be the primary weapon for the infantry.  If I'm reading it right, he is saying that handguns are a reliable tool that can, in extremis, be a life saver.  

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

"The primary strength of the military handgun is not its effectiveness or its lethality. It is, rather, its simple portability."

That, I think, sums it up.  No one is saying that a handgun is a replacement for a battle rifle or that it should be the primary weapon for the infantry.  If I'm reading it right, he is saying that handguns are a reliable tool that can, in extremis, be a life saver.  

Exactly!

46 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

All the writer did was to repeat what has been known in military circles for the last 150+ years.

That is-Better to have and not need, than-etc, etc, etc.

OLG

DANG!! LUMP!!  I was thinking the same thing when I read it earlier!!

I know...I'll get a stick and then all we need is a dead horse... maybe one without flies...I hate flies...OLG can beat on it some...:P Better yet, I'll find an old nag...oh, wait...:lol:

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Combat handguns in the Information Age

:FlagAm:

Hate to bust anybody's bubble... but there are NO combat handguns.  Just some... that are better than others.

Just... an FYI...  if yore interested.

Keep yore powder dry...

ts

Archived