SASS Wire Forum

I need some advice. I gave my phone a drink of water last night, and it looks like it drowned. So I am looking for a replacement. What I currently have is a Coolpad (?) that I got from T-Mobile for $99. My old phone went TU just as the Galaxy 7's were blowing up, so I got this to tide me over until they got all that settled. I would like to know if I can buy a phone from an individual or another company that will still work with the T-Mobile carrier. Can I buy another phone that uses a sim card and just drop my card in and be off and running? How do they set the phone number, with that sim card? I am not under contact but have had good service for the past 12 to 15 years so see no reason to switch. I appreciate any insight you might offer.

I don't use T mobile but if you give them acall they will help you out. Shouldn't be too hard. Your phone cal be re-set on line.

Thanks, Bob. I got good advice from Hey You on Facebook. She gave me a link to a Consumer Reports article about buying used and slightly outdated phones. I think it explained everything I need to know. Each time I have been in the local T Mobile it has been a struggle to get what I want and to understand why they push the choices they do. I am not interested in the employees commission, only what meets my needs to best.

Goody,

As a general rule phones are sold locked to a particular carrier. That means that a T-Mobile phone will not accept an AT&T sim card and vice versa. You can buy unlocked phones that will accept any carriers sim card. You can also request that a carrier unlock a phone that you paid full price for. I bought my last two phones from AT&T at full price no contract. After I got the phones I had to request the unlock codes from AT&T. Took about a month but they finally sent the unlock codes. 

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Do you have any interest in saving your no longer thirsty phone?  I've had good luck drying out phones by covering them up with rice. 

I have to make my phone last until someone makes a slider again.  I can't stand them virtual keyboards. 

Drying out a phone with rice or desiccant will work.

21 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Drying out a phone with rice or desiccant will work.

5 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I gave my phone a drink of water last night, and it looks like it drowned.

Take a quart baggie. Fill it half full of rice. Before putting your phone in shake out as much water as possible. Toss your phone in and cover it with the rice and lay it somewhere that it won't be disturbed, Leave it for 24-48 hours. If it wasn't actively sending or receiving when dropped it may be okay. If it was off it probably will be okay.

Thanks. I had put it in a Tupperware last night covered with rice. It was off initially when it was dunked. But after I dried it the headphone symbol was lit. This was the end that went in the drink. I initiated a you tube video and got no sound from speaker, but did when I plugged earbuds in. I then used a can of air for blowing out computers and such and the symbol went away and the speaker was working. A little while later I picked it up again and it would not power up. I'll let it sit until morning then check it again.

Having been incharge of some occasionally clumsy boat and backcountry patrol officers before, it has been my experience that the container of rice or dessicant simply does not work. At least on the dozen or so phones I tried it on. It worked on two. But only temporarily. In a  few days they were dead as bricks. Maybe we used the wrong rice. ;)

I hope you have better luck.

I'm giving it a shot, but as I said it was only $99 new. I just have a very strong aversion to buying the latest and greatest for what I use it for, a phone. I will occasionally browse a bit, but do not stream movies or watch sporting events. I found some Galaxy S5, new, with T Mobile stuff for $155. That's more my style!

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Goody,

As a general rule phones are sold locked to a particular carrier. That means that a T-Mobile phone will not accept an AT&T sim card and vice versa. You can buy unlocked phones that will accept any carriers sim card. You can also request that a carrier unlock a phone that you paid full price for. I bought my last two phones from AT&T at full price no contract. After I got the phones I had to request the unlock codes from AT&T. Took about a month but they finally sent the unlock codes. 

I just buy them unlocked.

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Thanks. I had put it in a Tupperware last night covered with rice. It was off initially when it was dunked. But after I dried it the headphone symbol was lit. This was the end that went in the drink. I initiated a you tube video and got no sound from speaker, but did when I plugged earbuds in. I then used a can of air for blowing out computers and such and the symbol went away and the speaker was working. A little while later I picked it up again and it would not power up. I'll let it sit until morning then check it again.

The more you try to fiddle with it the greater the chance it will be permanently damaged. Leave it buried in the rice for at least a week.

Just not worth it, SD. I just took it out, pulled the battery. Put it back in and the phone sounded like it came on, but no  display. Had my brother call me and was able to answer and talk to him. But again, no display. I can't wait a week on a $100 phone.

There are two phone standards in the country - GSM and CDMA.

Verizon and Sprint use CDMA

T-Mobile and AT&T use GSM

If the phone is GSM it should work. If it's locked to AT&T you can call and request it be unlocked. Or just buy one unlocked.

Note, for 4G data - Verizon also uses a GSM card in their CDMA phones. Technically they may be able to be used for T-Mobile, but for data only, not calling.

Most popular phones, like the Samsung S7, will be both CDMA and GSM to be able to be used on any U.S. network and can be purchased unlocked.

Archived