SASS Wire Forum

Hurrricane Harvey

Hoss

Nice sign. 

If you open the link, it shows properly.  I think it is the forum software making it fit, so it is sideways.

But maybe that's also why it reminded you of Jim :P:lol:

11 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Nice sign. 

If you open the link, it shows properly.  I think it is the forum software making it fit, so it is sideways.

But maybe that's also why it reminded you of Jim :P:lol:

In Firefox, if you click the pic then hover on the enlarged pic until the cursor turns into a +, then click again (whew) it displays upright (for me).

Lost power for 3 hours Saturday from 3 - 6 a.m., but generator kept the a/c going.  Haven't lost power since then.  Front of subdivision road has flooded and drained a few times since yesterday.  We're high and dry, but getting sick of all this rain.  Wish Crazy Harvey would give it up and GO AWAY.

KHOU Channel 11, CBS affiliate on Allen Parkway flooded and had to evacuate.  They're saying this is worse flooding than Allison and it's supposed to hang around for a few more days. 

Have to turn off cell phone because of constant (every 15 minutes or so) alerts for tornado warnings or flooding.  Hope everyone else stays high, dry, and safe.

Steady rain here in Austin but nothing like Houston. Houston is a major major disaster getting worse by the hour as Harvey slides back near the Gulf picking up more moisture. Please send them your prayers...Jim

Awoke this morn to no rain over the last 6 hours, here in NW Harris County.  Extremely blessed.  No flooding in our home.  Totally surrounded by rising rainwater several times during this weekend.  We had 20" of rain over Saturday and Sunday.  Many areas had over 24" over those two days.  Forecast for 5-6 inches on Monday and Tuesday.  It may be too soon to say the worse is over.....but I hope and pray it is.

Extremely sad and prayers to those that are impacted or completely wiped out from this storm.  There are many....too many.  

News states that Flooding will continue in the Houston, Katy, Humble, Tomball, Cypress, Pearland, Pasedena, Baytown, Rosenburg wide area, as flood waters from the north will move thru the Houston network of bayous and creeks to the Gulf.  This system is now moving across Texas eastward into Louisiana.  Please be prepared.  

This storm will change many lives...forever.

This storm will hopefully provoke some sort of new method/upgrade of moving/tranferring water through this part of the SW region.  As it stands now, the current antiquated network of bayous and creeks are woefully inadequate, as there is a new standard of measurement.

Hopefully our little high island in the middle of the mandatory evacuation area for Ft. Bend including River's Edge and New Territory will remain high and dry.  We may not be able to get out for a week though.  Brazos crested at 54-55 ft. last year and this small high area didn't even flood the street.  Is predicted to crest on 9/1 at 59 ft.  

If you check the Fort Bend evacuation map, we're just north of the UP rr line in one of the two white, non evacuation areas. We're at 74-75 ft. which will hopefully keep up high and dry.  Several neighbors are staying also.

New Territory is in mandatory and voluntary evacuation area as they are afraid the levies will be breached.  Biggest problem is getting anywhere north of this area has multiple flooded roads and feeder streets.  Would rather not get stuck on the road in a car when I can stay at home and hopefully stay high and dry.

Dee...keep us posted....our prayers are with you and your neighbors. Be safe...we have not forgotten you...Jim

Hey Jim No Horse and anyone else interested,

I am simply amazed at what is happening on TV.  Spellbinding.  Through the night, with trucks, bus's, (helicopters will wait til daylight), boats, canoes, bass boats, dump trucks being used brothers and sisters - rescuing and caring for people in need.  The amount of people that are helping is staggering.  So many different areas that are being searched and the flooded people lifted out is ever increasing.  It is all about rescue and care at this time.  

The physical taxing labor in high water and yet the Spiritual uplift that these hero's are giving is a truly life saving.

We are kinda cutoff in our little neighborhood, in NW Harris county, we are sandwiched inbetween a creek to the north and one to the south, that are flooded and spreading out even into a wider area, as the rainfall from the north and west is being pushed down through these creeks and across the Houston metro wide area to dump into the Port of Houston and on to the Gulf of Mexico.  At our home we received almost 6" in a 24 hour period on Monday. Down from the 20" on Saturday and Sunday for somewhere around 29" total with this storm.  We were lucky to receive so little.

Last night the spreading flooded creek from the north was making its way eastward, while spreading southward down major roads, streets and yards heading to the path of least resistance with many neighborhoods in the way.  Around 11pm last night, it had reached 1 block north of our home.  Our neighborhood is made up of older homes sittin on an acre or more.  Many ditches and homes are flooded and then the water just keeps on moving in and around homes and streets.  So far we have not flooded in our home and still have power.  We are on a bit of a higher spot than many homes.  Even if we flooded here, there is no place to go to.  Maybe higher ground on a street to the east.  No access to a highway and if there was, where does one go?  Water is everywhere and escape is currently denied.  So we wait, watch and pray.

This morning, the flood waters have receded off our yard and most of streets in our neighborhood.  Many generators runnin, helicopters scootin over head, boats and trucks on the outside of our neighborhood helping where needed.  Maybe the rains will slacken enough to for those to start rebuilding or make adjustments accordingly.  

I have been flooded twice in Houston, when I lived down in SW Houston. Both times I had flood insurance..... Moved to the NW portion to get away and it nearly found me again.  Currently we do not have flood insurance....that may change.

Currently for Tuesday, we are forecast for 1-3" of rain.  It seems that access to highways and more roads will be available later today...maybe.

This is being categorized as a 800 to 1,000 year flood, something none of us has seen in our lifetime and most likely will never see again. This storm will also go down as one of the worst if not the worst in US history. I have been very lucky with no flooding and no power loss, but basically can not go far from the house before being stopped by flooding, tried to take supplies to nearby shelter but could not get around flood water. There are hundreds of volunteers coming from all over with their boats to help in evacuations. God bless the Cajun Navy from Louisiana. I don't know how they are getting here but they are finding a way. Prayers please for Houston and all the volunteers.

Archived