SASS Wire Forum

Yellow aged, finger grips for SAA

I am looking for a pair for a Colt I have to finish off my John Wayne equipment. Similar to the grips on the new Cimarron pistol.  I did inquire politely if they could sell the grips separately and was given a polite resounding no. No matter figure I would ask here. I seem to recall some grip company with Brothers in the name offering a bright orange pair. 

Does anyone know of a source for those kind of grips?  Thanks in advance. 

I have never worried about being competitive mainly because I don't shoot enuf!  But when I do I dress like John Wayne and shoot his guns. So I don't care if they're legal, in fact I had an older fart watching the loading table tell my son that he Winchester 92 with a rebound hammer wasn't legal at state meets. I told him we weren't shooting at one and to mind his own business! 

Thanks to you all who offered me sources and since I have been in this game for about 20 years, I think I can determine what's legal and what ain't!

I'm curious what you think of them. Let me know how they turn out. I get this itch to try it out one of these days, but never follow through because I don't want to spend money and be stuck with something I'll never actually use. I have never encountered anyone that had them, so I have never had a chance to try them out. Best of luck to you

2 hours ago, Nimble Fingers, SASS# 25439 said:

I have never worried about being competitive mainly because I don't shoot enuf!  But when I do I dress like John Wayne and shoot his guns. So I don't care if they're legal, in fact I had an older fart watching the loading table tell my son that he Winchester 92 with a rebound hammer wasn't legal at state meets. I told him we weren't shooting at one and to mind his own business! 

Thanks to you all who offered me sources and since I have been in this game for about 20 years, I think I can determine what's legal and what ain't!

PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L

• SASS RO Committee
  • PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L
  • RO Committee
  • 9,199 posts
  • SASS# 2495
  • OOWSS, Umpqua Regulators, Siuslaw River Rangers, RUCAS, Jefferson State Regulators, Klamath Cowboys, Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers, Molalla River Rangers

The ROC ruled a few years ago that the Cimarron Uberti "Rooster Shooter" RS410 with factory finger-groove grips is LEGAL due to the "worn" grooves replicating JW's actual revolver.

Some of the aftermarket versions of the grips are NOT "pre-worn" and are considered "grip-enhancing" and ILLEGAL.

Takeoffs from the Rooster Shooter would also be legal.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/rooster-shooter-45-colt-4-3-4-by-uberti.html

wm_8290118-M.jpg

Hi Redwood. I talked with Lois from Buffalo Brothers and they do have them, not sure I can list their price but PM me and I can talk to you about them there. I haven't checked out the other two vendors yet. 

As for the ruling above, I did talk to Cimarron, as I said above and they wouldn't sell me a pair of "worn" grips nor tell me who they got them from. I have to chuckle as to the idea of a little, old Italian guy at Berreta working his right hand on a brand newly manufactured pair to get them worn! 

So unlike the different short stroke kits we can get, we can only buy a Cimarron pistol and take those grips off as they are the only "legal" ones?  Sounds a little biased to me, again the powers that be decide only one set of grips is legal from Berreta/Uberti/Cimarron and the others aren't?  

Not sure but doesn't sound like the "Spirit of the Game" is being exercised equally here. Sure glad I don't care about being "legal" when I shoot,  I am only in trouble if I tie for last place!  But I feel for any other cowpoke who would want to compete with a pair, you got my vote, whatever good a life member's has these days which ain't a whole lot!  Perhaps someone at SASS could determine the manufacturer of those approved grips and let us in on it. 

2 hours ago, Nimble Fingers, SASS# 25439 said:

Hi Redwood. I talked with Lois from Buffalo Brothers and they do have them, not sure I can list their price but PM me and I can talk to you about them there. I haven't checked out the other two vendors yet. 

As for the ruling above, I did talk to Cimarron, as I said above and they wouldn't sell me a pair of "worn" grips nor tell me who they got them from. I have to chuckle as to the idea of a little, old Italian guy at Berreta working his right hand on a brand newly manufactured pair to get them worn! 

So unlike the different short stroke kits we can get, we can only buy a Cimarron pistol and take those grips off as they are the only "legal" ones?  Sounds a little biased to me, again the powers that be decide only one set of grips is legal from Berreta/Uberti/Cimarron and the others aren't?  

Not sure but doesn't sound like the "Spirit of the Game" is being exercised equally here. Sure glad I don't care about being "legal" when I shoot,  I am only in trouble if I tie for last place!  But I feel for any other cowpoke who would want to compete with a pair, you got my vote, whatever good a life member's has these days which ain't a whole lot!  Perhaps someone at SASS could determine the manufacturer of those approved grips and let us in on it. 

Ok that line cracked me up. I wonder how long it would take to actually wear finger groves into a pair of grips. Even if it were possible, would that be sass legal? As long as you've been a member, maybe you should have thought about wearing in finger grooves when you first started haha. Then you might be able to sell them as authentic and legal worn in grooves.

You are right Redwood except I didn't find out about the yellow grips until recently. I figure that some grip maker is molding the groves in and the the little Italian guy is running his fingers back and forth. 

I will check with the other 2 vendors over the weekend. 

Well you've got "Nimble Fingers" so it might be tough to find grips to match. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I was worried about derailing this thread, but then I realized it was you that made it so I guess we can talk all we want. I never really liked those yellow grips until recently. They are starting to grow on me. Just for S&G, I put a pair of aged yellow grips on an old west model uberti to see what it would look like. The grips are slightly too small, as they were fitted for a 1st gen colt, but otherwise the look is pretty cool. No finger grooves though

FXhRcYJ.jpg

Well again to be honest, and I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable John Wayne fan, I cannot for the life of me remember one movie he used them in. I remember wood grips in most of them but the yellow ones just escape me!

That's because you watched most of his movies in black and white haha. Somebody on here (I believe it was here) once posted an article about his gun. If I remember correctly, it was originally a bisley in 44-40, that was converted to a standard grip and 45 colt. Wayne took the gun home and stained the plastic grips using tea to get the look he wanted. I'll try to find that article, as it was really interesting.

Thanks Redwood, I also saw something that he used a 38-40 as well. But I just recorded Rio Bravo and The Searchers from TCM and along with El Dorado he had wood grips in all three. 

That's cool stuff there, Nimble. Did you order your grips yet? This discussion got me thinking more and more about them. I happened into a set of yellow grips for a first gen and set them on an old west uberti I have. The grips don't fit properly, but it gave me an idea of what they might look like.

FXhRcYJ.jpg

After seeing it I liked it so much I decided to order up a set from buffalo arms. 

On 8/11/2017 at 3:35 PM, Redwood Kid said:

That's because you watched most of his movies in black and white haha. Somebody on here (I believe it was here) once posted an article about his gun. If I remember correctly, it was originally a bisley in 44-40, that was converted to a standard grip and 45 colt. Wayne took the gun home and stained the plastic grips using tea to get the look he wanted. I'll try to find that article, as it was really interesting.

could it be this one?

http://www.jcs-group.com/johnwayne/american/trademark.html

yhs

prof marvel

40 minutes ago, Professor Marvel said:

could it be this one?

http://www.jcs-group.com/johnwayne/american/trademark.html

yhs

prof marvel

That's the one! Thanks for posting it

Archived