SASS Wire Forum

Bolt Action Military (BAM)

:FlagAm: Does your club sponsor any BAM side matches?  If so, do they allow the "P17 Enfield", "American Enfield", formally named "United States Rifle, cal .30, Model of 1917" to compete?  I realize it was not built until 1917 but it is based on the British pattern 13 and 14 rifles.  I shoot a Model of 1917 I got from the CMP and despite being a VFW return, it hits where I point it out to 300 yards with hand-loaded 150 grn gc cast bullets.  

Thanks.

really ? i did not know that , but then ive not wanted to submit my vintage collectibles to that venue and i have not invested yet into the reproductions that were acceptable , its good to know - not that it has changed my position ,  my krags were collectibles - not cowboy guns in my mind , nor were my M1903s , and my 1918 , M1911 will not be subjected to that when there are modern reincarnations that qualify , 

im both a SASS shooter and a collector - i dont confuse the two ...yet 

there are venues , but i doubt SASS related , i may be wrong , i have a few of these as well , both the M17 and P14 , but ive not sought out such shoots so im not the good source here only an observer not seeing anything related to this , 

i do have the rifles -

mikesphotos-2011_zps8f43a2fd.jpg

11 minutes ago, watab kid said:

there are venues , but i doubt SASS related , i may be wrong , i have a few of these as well , both the M17 and P14 , but ive not sought out such shoots so im not the good source here only an observer not seeing anything related to this , 

i do have the rifles -

mikesphotos-2011_zps8f43a2fd.jpg

Thanks for reply.   Actually BAM can be a side match subset of Wild Bunch matches which can be a subset of SASS matches.

Sure, the P17 in original military "trim" is PERFECTLY legal under the Wild Bunch rules for BAM matches!

"Any issued military rifle design that entered service before the end of WW II."

It's just not legal for the military rifle long range category that Winter Range runs as the Bucky O'Neil match, which has these tighter restrictions on the guns that can be used.

MILITARY CARTRIDGE STANDARD ISSUE SINGLE SHOT, AND BOLT ACTION RIFLES AND CARBINES OR REPLICAS OF THOSE USED BY THE UNITED
STATES MILITARY OR FOREIGN MILITARY UNITS BETWEEN 1865 AND 1912

Good luck, GJ

11 hours ago, SaukValley Sam, SASS # 66557 said:

:FlagAm: Does your club sponsor any BAM side matches?  If so, do they allow the "P17 Enfield", "American Enfield", formally named "United States Rifle, cal .30, Model of 1917" to compete?  I realize it was not built until 1917 but it is based on the British pattern 13 and 14 rifles.  I shoot a Model of 1917 I got from the CMP and despite being a VFW return, it hits where I point it out to 300 yards with hand-loaded 150 grn gc cast bullets.  

Thanks.

SVS, investigate another opportunity to use that 1917! Green Mountain Regulators near Marble Falls TX runs a Long Range/Bolt Action Military match on the Sunday after their 4th Saturday cowboy match.  While the big bore guns with precision sights (or scopes) shoot from 100 to 400 yards, the BAM rifles shoot at 100, 150, and 200 yards.  1 point for hitting steel, or 2 points for hitting the bullseye, six courses of fire with three rounds each, maximum 36 points.  Circuit Judge added two small targets at 125 and 175 yards, 3 points each because of their size, so total possible match points are 42.  The match is not timed.  Any ties in points are broken first by the number of bullseyes, and then by a shoot-off.   I recommend that you put a note on your calendar to make the next match on July 23, arrive by 0830 to set up, warm up at 0900, match about 0930, done by noon, shooting tables and covered firing line too. I'll send pix to you, think that I have your email address. There are usually about 15 competitors, and at one match the bolts outnumbered the big bores.  Circuit Judge has the organization and conduct of the match refined to a science.

Boom stick,  does your gew88 still use manlicher clips or does it use stripper clips? Reason I ask is if you haven't worked with it yet a slugging of the bore would be in order. The manlicher clip fed one could have a .318 bore but if it's been thru Arsenal overhaul again to have the Mauser stripper clip then it should be a .323 bore. Dusty Boddams

SaukValley Sam,

Since there were 2 threads I merged them. I hope this is okay with you.

Regards,

Pat Riot

Archived