SASS Wire Forum

!!%%F***!! ! Dillon Primer Tubes

Sat down at the 550 last night to load a few rounds; last used the machine a week ago or so, and everything was kosher.

Laid out 100 Winchester Large Pistol Primers on a tray; started to pick up using the Dillon tube; tube would not accept any primers after the first 3 or 4; well, this is not right.  tried again; and again; and again; same jam every time. 

Replaced the end on the tube (green); tried again; same result.  Tube is clear and clean.

Seems like the primers are twisting slightly in the tube, and getting jammed up.  Can't see any problem with the equipment.  Tried two other tubes -same effect. 

Eventually got some primers into the machine - but they are hanging up at the bottom of the drop tube - slightly twisted.

Could I have some undersized primers?  I know that sounds unlikely, but something is wrong here.

Any ideas other than the loose nut running the machine?

LL

I have found that the tip has to be fully seated on the tube or it causes just what you are experiencing. On all my primer pickup tubes and the tube in the primer feed are too tight to get them to seat fully without an excessive amount of effort. I fixed this by chucking the tubes in my drill and reducing the outside diameter of the ends ever so slightly with some scotch brite until they seat firmly but all the way.  For the pickup tube be sure to do both ends. If the top end is not seated fully occasionally a primer will flip as your are filling the machine.

3 hours ago, SlicLee SASS #16638 Life said:

NO NO NO ALCOHOL THERE MAY BE PRIMER DUST INSIDE THE TUBE FIRST CLEAN THE TUBE OR TUBES WITH A LONG QTIP 

WHY???

18 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

If everything was kosher the last time you used the machine and tubes ..... think .... what was the "last" thing you did??

Screwed it up, evidently.....:blink:

Our minds work the same way - but I've tried so many "fixes" that I can't be sure that I'm still dealing with the original issue, or a newer version produced by my fiddling.

I appreciate the advice; the "push the tip on tight" advice might be the ticket; as soon as I have time, I'll go back to ground zero and give it a shot.

LL

• 2 weeks later...

Archived