SASS Wire Forum

pinched nerve

Perro Del Diablo

I will be going into have second steroid injection for my C6 on Monday. DR. said if this doesn't work next step be surgery to fuse vertebrae. I'm not worried about the procedure or possible surgery. My question would be how close to normal movement and activity after it heals? I like to hear how you or someone you know faired. I like honest opinions. Please don't try to scare me I'm not looking for that.

Thanks Country Wildman

I retired as a Anesthesia provider a few years ago, and have had symptoms of Cervical Stenosis or impinged nerve syndrome for years. You'd think I'd go have it surgically treated, but I'm not to that point yet. I do have, on occasion, burning in my right arm but mostly paresthesia(s) such as tingling and numbness in my hand.

Look at this info on causes/treatments that are offered today for taking care of your condition. Good luck, I know what you're going through.

https://www.laserspineinstitute.com/articles/pinched_nerve_articles/c6/224/

Capt

I had epidural steroid injections about 4 times in my back. They worked well, and relieved the sciatic pain. Eventually the pain decreased, I don't do the injections, and things are OK.

Every situation is different, but a good rule thumb with respect to back issues is to be very conservative, and pursue surgery as a last resort. Pretty general statement to be sure, but....

Backing up, now...... depending on the actual details of your proposed procedure, your recovery time will be impacted, as well as the actual physical invasion of your body and scarring. If you don't have a precise understanding of this, I suggest you find out. I also suggest that, if you don't know or you're unsure and have a vague understanding of the foregoing, that you get your neurosurgeon to take as much time as you need to see on a skeletal model, the procedure they intend to perform.

Okay..... I believe that you will notice more of a restriction in movement ability from a cervical 2-vertebrae fusion than you would for a 2-vertebrae thoracic or a lumbar fusion of the (more or less) same scope (impingement and nerve involvement). With advanced impingement, the surgeon may insert a piece of cadaver bone to replace the disc material, and the 2 vertebrae will fuse to it, all held together with (likely) a titanium plate.

You move your neck in more angular articulation almost certainly more than you use your back and lower back. In the end, I doubt it will cause you more than minimal impact on your ability to navigate life as you did prior to the surgery. I'm thinking that your overall quality of life will improve. However, it all hinges on the knowledge, skill and experience of your neurosurgeon. If he gets a general surgeon to close, tell him you want someone with super skills to do so, because you don't want some horrendous surgical scar, especially since they almost certainly will do a frontal access....maybe not.

I'm not a medical doctor, but I know more than enough about these surgeries to know that most patients go into them without a full deck of information and realistic expectations. I do believe that with the right surgeon you will come out with noticeable improvement.

Just general info based on my experience......your situation, like everyone else's, is unique and different and you know more about it than I do.

Cat Brules

Backing up, now...... depending on the actual details of your proposed procedure, your recovery time will be impacted, as well as the actual physical invasion of your body and scarring. If you don't have a precise understanding of this, I suggest you find out. I also suggest that, if you don't know or you're unsure and have a vague understanding of the foregoing, that you get your neurosurgeon to take as much time as you need to see on a skeletal model, the procedure they intend to perform.

Okay..... I believe that you will notice more of a restriction in movement ability from a cervical 2-vertebrae fusion than you would for a 2-vertebrae thoracic or a lumbar fusion of the (more or less) same scope (impingement and nerve involvement). With advanced impingement, the surgeon may insert a piece of cadaver bone to replace the disc material, and the 2 vertebrae will fuse to it, all held together with (likely) a titanium plate.

You move your neck in more angular articulation almost certainly more than you use your back and lower back. In the end, I doubt it will cause you more than minimal impact on your ability to navigate life as you did prior to the surgery. I'm thinking that your overall quality of life will improve. However, it all hinges on the knowledge, skill and experience of your neurosurgeon. If he gets a general surgeon to close, tell him you want someone with super skills to do so, because you don't want some horrendous surgical scar, especially since they almost certainly will do a frontal access....maybe not.

I'm not a medical doctor, but I know more than enough about these surgeries to know that most patients go into them without a full deck of information and realistic expectations. I do believe that with the right surgeon you will come out with noticeable improvement.

Just general info based on my experience......your situation, like everyone else's, is unique and different and you know more about it than I do.

Cat Brules

Thank you I am not thrilled to have surgery. My Dr. said if it comes to that it will be a fusion. Titanium plate and screws. I will need to ask about the bone graft. He mentioned disc replacement but said he preferred fusion because of my age "49". If I was 40 be different. Currently the best analogy I can give is like having a strong friend trying to perform the Vulcan sleep hold on me 24 hours a day.

Surgery is not an option I take lightly especially when spine is involved. Injection, oral steroids, tens unit, prescription lotion, rehab, chiropractor all have not helped much. I really appreciate all your comments. Tomorrow morning will take last of this series of steroid injection and follow up from there. Prayers are always appreciated.

CW

My wife and I have both been through steroid treatments a couple of times with little help. Surgery for us is not an option for our personal reasons. Right now my wife is trying a treatment called nerve ablation ( not sure if it's spelled correctly). Anyway they deaden the nerve. We'll see how this works

Archived