SASS Wire Forum

First aid kit

Alpo

ASSUMING you keep one in your vehicle - does anyone have saline in theirs?

Book I'm reading. Wreck on the road, guy brings his truck FAK, and good Samaritan nurse tells him, "Pour some saline on this dressing".

Just seemed peculiar he'd have it. Friend of mine - his car kit was in a large tackle box. He had two commercial 16oz bottles of water. It was clean, sterile. Coulda been used to wash something off. Coulda been used to swallow a pill. But even Ken didn't keep saline.

Yes, I keep saline in syringes in my aid bag. It is useful for irrigating wounds, flushing debris and the like from eyes, and other things. Speaking of which, I need to check the expiration date on that and some of the other things.

I keep saline, a couple suture sets, heavy black thread, superglue (cyanoacrylic glue), cut pieces of white terrycloth (wipers or bandages), 3-4 battle dressings, VetWrap, various surgical hardware, surgical latex tubing, betadine, a few, pint bottles of water, and other items you won't find in a useless band-aide first aid kit. I had injectable lidocaine, but it expired. I've sutured myself and my animals and we've all survived. I buy the saline from Walmart and the other stuff I've picked up here and there. It doesn't take a huge container to carry this stuff. There have been two critical emergencies I became involved with The first one I had to improvise equipment and supplies and the second one I had access to my kit and it went very well.

My kit has a small bottle of eye wash (saline). Like Doc I need to check it. I know it's old. Thanks for the reminder Alpo.

I keep an OSHA first aid kit in my truck. If 18 people get paper cuts I have the stuff to take care of it...I am kidding of course but I don't keep anything like trauma kits or anything like that in my vehicle any more. Maybe I should.

I've been trained to do sutures, but I don't carry them. If I were going DEEEP into the backcountry, I might. I figure at that point, a trip to the ER may be necessary anyway, just to be safe. I keep a number of dressings, including a couple of Israeli Dressings. I also keep Coban, or Vet Wrap, Ace Bandages and SAM Splints among other things. Airways, a pocket mask, betadine wipes, alcohol prep pads, benadryl, tylenol and motrin as well as a "field surgical set" are all in there as well. I need to go inventory it, and get over to the medical supply store and pick up a few things.

Yep. Saline solution, Israeli wound dressing, Betadine, Celox, a/b cream, etc.......all go in my FA kit

Yep. Saline solution, Israeli wound dressing, Betadine, Celox, a/b cream, etc.......all go in my FA kit

I haven't added Celox to my bag yet. I am considering it. I have some very impressive footage of hemostatics being used in trials from teaching Combat Lifesaver Courses. Never had to use it, thankfully.

Archived