SASS Wire Forum

'97 question

Pulp, SASS#28319

I bought a used Chinese 97 a couple of years ago, it has a bad habit of locking up when shooting live loads. Works fine when testing it empty. Something about recoil causes it to lock up. I had a world famous '97 doctor look at it, he couldn't find anything. Another shooter recommended removing the slide release button and a couple of other parts. I'm not sure I like the idea of removing parts, but it seems to work on another '97 I tried.

What kind of shells are you running thru it? Have you tried different ammo/manufacture? The aluminum base shells have a been problem in the past. It is Chinese (no offense) so you might also look at chamber depth.

CS

I bought a used Chinese 97 a couple of years ago, it has a bad habit of locking up when shooting live loads. Works fine when testing it empty. Something about recoil causes it to lock up. I had a world famous '97 doctor look at it, he couldn't find anything. Another shooter recommended removing the slide release button and a couple of other parts. I'm not sure I like the idea of removing parts, but it seems to work on another '97 I tried.

My recommendation is that you don't remove any parts from the shotgun. It should be functional without doing that. You may be compromising the safe operation of the shotgun if you do. It is not a weapon you should be altering without intimate knowledge of it.

Archived