SASS Wire Forum

does replacing barrel increase your liability

Trigger Mike

when an officer we were repeatedly told to not alter the trigger or if we got into a situation and our pistol went off they would examine it and we could be sued and liable if we had altered the trigger. a neighbor who carries due to his profession said he was told to never change anything. A lawyer said if anything was changed it would make him liable. i thought of a match grade barrel. seems more accuracy would be better. would changing the barrel increase my liability in times of trouble?

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Leave your duty gun as is or factory or certified factory armorer work only. If its not a duty gun change what you want. if you are in an incident you are likely going to be getting an attorney, having a match grade barrel will be the least of your worries.

BUT,, when it comes to what may happen in court ANYTHING can become a point of debate. Even if you practice using silhouette targets can be a point used against you. Not saying it will or won't, just about anything is possible.

Blackfoot

I know of no reason that should be a problem, triggers yes but barrels no. But why open that can of worms?

BTW our legal council was more concerned with images on custom pistol guns, things like skulls and other images that could be considered a sign that you were predisposed to kill, rebel flags were definitely a no no

In a high stress close quarters combat a match grade barrel isn't going to make a difference.

Yup. Pointless.

i have to admit, i ordered one and then thought of the liability, but after comparing the original barrel with a Wilson Combat Match grade barrel in the Glock 19 (i have a Wilson Combat fever for some reason lately) that the difference is night and day. it won't make a difference under stress but it sure improves my confidence when just plinking in the back yard.

But-There's the 'cool-factor' when you have to qualify and you earn your distinguished marksman's badge with it. ^_^

OLG

No. Cool is earning it with a stock gun, ;)

Archived