SASS Wire Forum

A "no Swimming sign" is not enough

I'm piecing together a couple earlier comments:

X. "No Swimming" signs posted

Y. There was a lifeguard on duty

If X+Y = Z (true)

Then Disney may really be for sure up that other tributary that feeds into that little lake.

You know the one......

Life Guard may have been for a near by pool unrelated to the lagoon There is a least one pool adjacent to the beach.

Or may have been in the area off duty and heard the shouting and came to investigate.

Given the spotty and contradictory news reports we will never know.

Disney Land Corp should.

a)settle with parents

b)put up extensive signage concerning alligators, snakes and anything else... in numberous different languages

c) form a corp policy that has numerous trained personnel that continually patrol beaches/waterways, banks, lagoons, lakes and Park grounds 24/7/365 for alligators. Patrol from land, sea and air. Document, document, document

d) when such said alligator/snake is detected, have other trained Disney employees capture and relocate create to somewhere beyond park boundaries. Again, document, document, document.

Disney has been lucky for 45 years

Life Guard may have been for a near by pool unrelated to the lagoon There is a least one pool adjacent to the beach.

Or may have been in the area off duty and heard the shouting and came to investigate.

Given the spotty and contradictory news reports we will never know.

Yeah, probably shouldn't speculate.

Something like this is hard to stop thinking about.

Out here on the coast there are times when it rains heavily that the sewage from Tijuana washes out into the ocean and produces very dangerous water quality for surfers and others in the water. Signs are posted that the beaches are closed and the water is contaminated with sewage do not enter. Well there are still people out there surfing and swimming.

The bluffs above the beaches are very dangerous in spots and signs are posted to keep off. On most weekends there are people all over those bluffs right up to the edge.

IMO, no swimming signs are mostly ignored.

Well, golly! The Sheriff sez it's okay to take their son's remains home now.

12:25 pm UPDATE: Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said charges are unlikely to be filed against Matt and Melissa Graves, the Nebraska couple whose 2-year-old son died as a result of an alligator attack on Walt Disney World property.

Demings said that there was no indication the Graves’ committed any crime that contributed to the death of their son, Lane, according to the Associated Press.

“There’s nothing in this case to indicate that there was anything extraordinary” in terms of neglect by the parents, Demings said.

Questions about whether Walt Disney World did enough to warn patrons about alligators are being asked in the attack’s aftermath.

========

BUT, I don't see anyone rushing to investigate whether criminal charges of culpable, conspiratorial neglect should be filed against Disney officers and senior management, whose constructive efforts to mask dangers and threats to their clients at their facilities by promoting the Disney mystical, fantasy where all creatures live in safe cartoon-land harmony. In this case, that weird corporate culture resulted in a child's death. Disney had been previously been warned about the threat from alligators and did nothing to warn its clients, nothing to prevent client exposure to thes dangers and little (amounting to nothing) to stop the threats, save short-term mitigation.

I'd lobby for criminal charges to be developed and filed against individuals at Disney, the Disney Corporation itself and civil charges leveled at The State of Florida for allowing the creation of an independent entity, operating as a quasi-government, outside the normal oversight and control of normal State laws.

Cat Brules

Unless Disney stocked the pond with alligators, and then put up a sign inviting people to "Swim With Florida's Wildlife", I don't see how they could be "criminally culpable" for anything.

A matter of perception.

Disney owns the land and facilities.

The Corporation's officers and senior management, in their routine performance over a long period of time, consciously and collectively worked toward the end (conspired) as individuals and as an entity, to hide deadly risks from their invited, paying clientele,which exposed the clientele, en masse, to these risks and dangers. These collective efforts ultimately resulted in the death of this child and endless mental anguish to the child's family. I say that is criminal activity.

Disney had been warned repeatedly of the alligator danger to their clientele and knew or should have known of their clientele's complete ignorance of the threat to life and limb from alligator attack. Instead of eliminating the threat, Disney kept up their insipid fantasy-world routine, lulling their paying clients into a false sense of security. I call that criminal activity. My guess is that Disney probably decided that the cost of mitigation was higher than later litigatory payouts. I'd like to see ALL their records related to such earlier warnings, discussions and decisions.

Related to the above, and aside from settlement specific to the child's death, I'd guess other lawsuits for pain, suffering and punitive damages will be in the hundreds of million$$$, or higher. They will settle, though.

That part of the country is "Gator" country. If people ever watch the News, they should know that.

Well, if they didn't before, they do now...if they watch the news. Does the average person from North Dakota or New York even think that the water may bite? No swimming signs are fine, but WHY there is no swimming would seem to be appropriate for those who don't live in gator country.

Just what is "Gator Country?" I was surprised to learn that Alligators have been know to travel UP THE MISSISSIPPI AS FAR AS ILLINOIS. I have also been known to swim in the filthy Mississippi, back in the day, when it was a drain pipe for St. Louis and Monsanto at East St. Louis. I believe that it has been somewhat cleaned up now. But I doubt that anybody told the alligators.

Archived