SASS Wire Forum

Thinking of changing out the rear sight on my Virtual Marlin 1894

I know that it is no legal for SASS, but I like the Marble rear semibuckhorn with the white diamond

insert. It is micro adjustable for windage and elevation. I can also see the sights better with these

old eyes. Any thoughts on the matter?

I also want to replace the front sight with a white (Ivory?) bead. Just like on my virtual 39AS Marlin.

I use a full buckhorn on both my 66 & 73,It works like a ghost ring,very fast,but still has the notch for precise shots. Just a suggestion.

My eyes don't much care for the full buckhorn. I have the semi buckhorn on my virtual little brother, the 39AS, and it seems to be the ticket for me.

This is strange, because I put a ghost ring on my virtual .30 Cal Model 1917 Enfield sporter and it works just fine. I would like to add a thinner front blade to it, but I will work on that later.

I guess I must be made differently than good shooters.

I put the semi-buckhorn on mine. I don't know if it's the same as what you're looking at but I can turn the white diamond around and that makes it SASS legal. I find that it works like a ghost sight and so long as the I can see the front sight through the rear at CAS distances I'll hit what I'm aiming at. I also worked up a hunting load and for me it's accurate to 100 yards which is all the further I care to shoot.

I have not replaced the front sight.

I put the semi-buckhorn on mine. I don't know if it's the same as what you're looking at but I can turn the white diamond around and that makes it SASS legal. I find that it works like a ghost sight and so long as the I can see the front sight through the rear at CAS distances I'll hit what I'm aiming at. I also worked up a hunting load and for me it's accurate to 100 yards which is all the further I care to shoot.

I have not replaced the front sight.

That is along the lines of my thinking. Is that a Marble rear sight, and if so, is it adjustable for windage?

For what it's worth (not much I'm sure)....My 1894 Marlin 1894 NIB had a Marble's sight with the white diamond. How is that illegal? Taking it out is in fact a visual modification. NO?

The gun IS an original, JM stamped Marlin. Whys is it also illegal to paint the sights different colors?? They did have paint back then. I'm not talking about the day glow zombie colors, just red, blue you know the colors painted on wagons, barns, signs for saloons and such.

Just wondering..........

Knarley

I reckon that the original Marlins were made with black sights as were most if not all firearms of that time.

For what ever reason the Judge and his friends decided that it was to be that way for evermore.

As I understand it the issue, you can turn the rear blade around and you get a V or U shape notch in the

blade. Your call. Since I do not shoot matches the white diamond is not an issue for match shoots.

It is a very big issue for me seeing the sights.

BMC, If you are not shooting CAS then the white diamond is a useful item. Several of my non-competition guns have them. I also like the semi buckhorn as well.

You know Sam, I think you may have solved an issue for me. I bought an ivory front sight to put in the ramp and it just looks too

big to fit the picture. Might fit the ramp but it just doesn't sing. It is hard for me to pick up that tiny gold bead.

Maybe that is why I miss so much? :)

That is along the lines of my thinking. Is that a Marble rear sight, and if so, is it adjustable for windage?

I don't remember who the manufacturer is. It's not adjustable for windage beyond tapping the sight left and right to get it to shoot straight. Took me several days to get it where I like it. It is adjustable for height though.

As far as front sights go. I like brass. White tends to disappear for me.

I don't remember who the manufacturer is. It's not adjustable for windage beyond tapping the sight left and right to get it to shoot straight. Took me several days to get it where I like it. It is adjustable for height though.

As far as front sights go. I like brass. White tends to disappear for me.

Thanks for the information, Dorado. Now I tend to go the opposite direction. The brass disappears on me and I can pickup the white bead quite well. I still miss a lot, but that has more to do with motor nerves than eyesight. Neither of which seem to work well for me.

ED: I called Marlin to see what they had to say about the issue, and they were not much help.

The guy I got didn't even think the front sight could be removed from the dovetail. So much

that. I think I will talk to the folks down at D.J.s and see what they recommend for a front sight.

Got the rear sight thingy figured out.

Well, I replaced the safety defeat and put the original rebound hammer safety back in the rifle.

After some consideration and consultation, I have decided to replace the rear sight, and to paint

the bead on the front sight. I can not find reliable information on the front sight and a coat of paint

is a lot cheaper than a new sight. Will let you know how that works out.

Been shopping for the rear sight. Decided to change it out first, if at all and then thunk about the front sight.

Perhaps a tap of polish on the front sight to snap out the brass and then some kind of clear coat?

Of course I could put one of those awful neon red or green front sights on it. But she is much too

pretty if a lady to make her gaudy like that. :)

Archived