SASS Wire Forum

Help for some new shooters... entire family WTB Rossi 92 in 38sp

Howdy all,

We have a family of four that have caught the bug and are now trying to figure out how they are going to get what they need. They have been to a few shoots and have tried everything from 92s to 73s. Given they are all brand new to the sport they have decided that the Rossi 92 in 38sp is the way to go to get started. Right now they are in need of 4 rifles and shotguns. They are split on the 97 vs the Coach gun, they do want 12 gauge all around.

I have passed on a double barrel shotgun that was given to me and my family by 5 Toes when we started.

Hope some pards can help us out.

Thanks

SPK

Are they strapped for cash or flush with money? Has someone explained the cost of guns, leather,ammo and such? From beginner Rossi to deluxe 73's and SKB's?

Suggest they start off by purchasing two rifles, the Rossi 38specials would be good. Cut stock(s),as necessary to fit majority of family. Purchase two sxs (stogers or similar) in 12g and again, fit stocks to majority of family. Then share if money is an issue. Purchase two sets of pistols or borrow until they can afford. Purchase used leather for all. Easier and more fun if all have leather belts & holsters and to just exchange firearms as needed. Then they can add firearms and accessories as funds become available.

Then there is ammo cost, do they reload and if not, do they understand the cost to supply four shooters with factory ammo?

As I mentioned, what financial situation are they in and a better game plan can be provided.

I have a used 97. Not pretty but runs if they are interested pm me with details

Are they strapped for cash or flush with money? Has someone explained the cost of guns, leather,ammo and such? From beginner Rossi to deluxe 73's and SKB's?

Suggest they start off by purchasing two rifles, the Rossi 38specials would be good. Cut stock(s),as necessary to fit majority of family. Purchase two sxs (stogers or similar) in 12g and again, fit stocks to majority of family. Then share if money is an issue. Purchase two sets of pistols or borrow until they can afford. Purchase used leather for all. Easier and more fun if all have leather belts & holsters and to just exchange firearms as needed. Then they can add firearms and accessories as funds become available.

Then there is ammo cost, do they reload and if not, do they understand the cost to supply four shooters with factory ammo?

As I mentioned, what financial situation are they in and a better game plan can be provided.

They definitely do not have a lot of money so we figured we would check here for good deals like I did when we started. Now here is the twist because we live in the wonderful state of NY they are required to have a pistol permit just to own or shoot a pistol. Some of the clubs in NY allow interested people to shoot two rifles and a shot gun at monthly matches to keep them interested while they wait (usually 6 months +) for their permit to come thru. So two rifles would be tough to share between 4 people.

When my family of 3 started a couple of years ago the members of SASS were awesome and really helped make it happen with some great deals. I passed on the double barrel coach gun that had been given to me and I have them covered with leather for now. I'm also gonna reload for them.

This should shed some light on their situation

SPK

They definitely do not have a lot of money so we figured we would check here for good deals like I did when we started. Now here is the twist because we live in the wonderful state of NY they are required to have a pistol permit just to own or shoot a pistol. Some of the clubs in NY allow interested people to shoot two rifles and a shot gun at monthly matches to keep them interested while they wait (usually 6 months +) for their permit to come thru. So two rifles would be tough to share between 4 people.

When my family of 3 started a couple of years ago the members of SASS were awesome and really helped make it happen with some great deals. I passed on the double barrel coach gun that had been given to me and I have them covered with leather for now. I'm also gonna reload for them.

This should shed some light on their situation

SPK

Wow!!! A person needs a permit to 'even' shoot an owned/borrowed pistol!!

How long does it take to acquire permits? So they could shoot borrowed revolvers?

Edit: I reread your post, 6months+,,,,wow again.

Can't even touch a pistol with out a permit and its take 6 months in our area to get a permit. I've known people who waited over a year

They do let kids between the age of 14 and 21 shoot their parents pistols but once they are old enough to get a permit they have to do just that

Do they need brass or leather? The leather that I have is nothing special. But it is functional. I think I have 2 or 3 belt and holster sets...I think....

Buzzard

Pm sent

If they would consider a Marlin .357, Rem version, in stainless steel w/ 18" barrel please pm me and I will send photos and pricing. Less that 200 rounds through it and an action job by Cody Conagher. It is my back-up to my back-ups back up.

BTT .... I didn't realize Rossi 92 in 38 sp were so hard to find

My daughters live in NY and their strict stupid laws do not surprise me in the least. I am so sorry things are so bad. One reason why I moved to Texas. Good luck.

Kid,

I have a 357/38 stainless steel Rossi 92 with a 16" barrel and a large lever loop. It holds ten 38s with an oal of 1.44" and will cycle them reliably. The action is so slick and light I can work the lever using only my middle finger braced against a leather string knotted at the back of the trigger guard, so the large loop is not a handicap.

$500 shipped to your FFL. I could email pics if interested.

Smoke

Smoke

Can you send picks to southpasskid@gmail.com thanks

There are two of the 16" at the local gun shop one new the other used with a big loop for $399 if you are interested pm me for their details

Steve Young can help you out with 92's , you should be aware that 92's in 38 are case sensitive and sometimes don't feed well, any 92 should be worked on for different springs.

Thanks I will pass on the info

There are two of the 16" at the local gun shop one new the other used with a big loop for $399 if you are interested pm me for their details

Evil I will have him pm you directly now that he is all signed up and on the forum

We have been in contact. By the thank you for helping out a new shooter. Hopefully this works out for him

I keep Rossi 92's in stock, with action work completed and ready for competition.

I can be contacted at: johnnymeadows55@yahoo.com

Thank you,

Johnny Meadows

Just wanted to say Thank You to "Bramble Mountain Buzzard" for the box of stuff he sent to me. It really helps to get us started.

I also want to thank "South Pass Kid & Ruby Rae" for the double barrel and the use of there guns to get us started. And all the other help they have given us.

Iron Horse Rebel

Archived