SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron/Pietta Frontier question (base pin)?

Knuckles Bandera #43963

Cimarron%20Frontier%20Model%20Single%20AI just got a pair of Cimarron/Pietta Frontier Models in .357 and love the look, feel, weight and action on these six-shooters (though I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet).

Question: when disassembling and reassembling these models were very hard to extract and re-insert the base pin. The button was hard as hec to depress and keep depressed while trying to line up the cylinder and base pin. I tried lubing but wondered if anyone knew any tricks to make this a little smoother.

Yes, I already have 2 different pairs of Ruger Vaq in .357. These Frontiers are meant to supplement our family panoply so we don't have to share everything at the next shoot.

I have a pair of Pietta/Great Western II and have a similar problem. Since I shoot BP, I take them apart every time I shoot. With practice, doing three things at once becomes easier but not easy. I suppose you could cut a coil or two off of the spring but you run the risk of making it too easy to remove the base pin. You don't want that to happen on its own in a match. I would have replacement parts on hand before I started cutting.

Its a minor pain in an otherwise great pair of pistols.

Chancy

Chancy,

Do you think a generous amount of Gun Grease on the base pin (and maybe even some sanding) would help?

The button seems to be a screw; does turning that help loosen the tension on that button? I just about wore my thumb out trying to keep that depressed while ram-roding that base pin. :wacko:

I use bore Butter on the base pin since I use BP. I don't have any problem with the pin sliding in once everything is lined up. The button is a screw, round nut and spring arrangement. You could try loosening it up, but I think that the spring must be compressed fully to move the base pin. I say again, have replacement parts on hand. Since your method would have a loosened button, it might get looser and looser with firing the gun.

Chancy

Have you tried a base pin removal tool?

Makes it easier to get some leverage on the little buggers.

--Dawg

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/takedown-tools/colt-saa-base-pin-puller-prod10997.aspx

https://americanhandgunner.com/base-pin-puller/

Recently Bob from Texas Jacks told me about some simple fix that made it easier to insert/remove the Pietta base pins. Unfortunately my memory is not cooperating. You might try calling Texas Jack's and asking him.

No brand in general, but have used small ball end cutter ( by hand ) to lightly chamfer the holes in the frame and cylinder. Makes putting together easier and sometimes eliminates a burr. Don't forget the rear frame and cylinder bore. GW

This will become easier with time, with just shooting the guns and removing/reinstalling the base pin for normal cleaning. No sanding/polishing/milling is necessary.

And, you don't want to lighten the spring tension on the base pin retainer. I have a pair of the Cimarron (Pietta) Eliminator C revolvers and the base pin "jumped" a little out of its notch a couple of times when I was recently using them to shoot a Steel Challenge match. And I'm using a 105gr bullet with a very light powder charge already. If anything I'm going to look for a stronger spring for my base pin latch.

Just use the guns more, keep the base pin lightly oiled, and you may be surprised as how much easier base pin removal becomes.

If there is any scoring on the base pin, it may be due to a burr in the frame. If so, a light sanding with very fine emery will take it down. You can also try sanding the base pin itself, but very lightly and just enough so that the pin goes in and out a little easier.

Personally, if I owned a Pietta I would try replacing the base pin with an Uberti part (or Colt - more $$). Having the groove(s) all the way around the pin instead of on just one side makes it much easier to install. (Pietta has been asked if they would change their design to a fully grooved pin and they said no). I did try an Uberti pin in a new Pietta and it fit, although I have not fired one like that so I can't say if the pin will stay in place as it should.

There are several things that can be done to "ease" the Base Pin removal and reassembly. First, insure there are no burrs on or in the bores in the frame at either end. Then remove the last 3/16 inch from the base pin to eliminate the hokey "safety" feature of the double cut for the base pin latch. The base pin is then seated all the way in, ALL the time. Last, chuck the base pin up in a drill motor and polish the base pin itself with some 1000 and 2000 Wet/Dry. Keep the base pin lubed.

Coffinmaker

Have you tried a base pin removal tool?

Makes it easier to get some leverage on the little buggers.

--Dawg

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/takedown-tools/colt-saa-base-pin-puller-prod10997.aspx

https://americanhandgunner.com/base-pin-puller/

Thanks Dawg,

Will have to try this! I'm ordering on ASAP!

Archived