SASS Wire Forum

Taking BBQ/grilling to the next level (for me)

Spring is almost here and I received a good tax 'refund' :rolleyes: . Have been a Weber Kettle guy for sometime and will attest that they are excellent grill/BBQ/smoking devices. However I have always had a couple issues 1) at the basic 22" diameter I need more cooking space - they make a 26" version...but...2) would like a bit more sturdiness 3) never liked taking the lid off and hanging it on the side (the wind sometimes blew it off) 4) For grilling - I REALLY like the reverse sear method and there has to be a better way 5) for BBQ/smoking I have the Smokenator and although it is a perfect solution for the kettle, you still had to put in/take out the device, and the space for BBQ was small. I have done oodles of research and have come up with the 'machine' that should work for me for a very long time - well, as long as I remain above ground.

Her she is - and the fact that the dealer is local eliminates shipping cost. The other cool factor is the guy who designed and owns the company will be giving a BBQ demonstration which will add to the knowledge factor....

Hope to share pics and experience sometime after April when this year's version arrives....

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/grill-smoker-combination-grill-smoker/good-one-open-range

Any of y'all have plans for a new cooker this year?

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Howdy,

Ive gone around with several grills.

Char-griller patio pro with a few added touches is about as good as it gets.

The fire can be tended without touching the food ATALL.

they have many larger options, I have not needed them.....yet.

And a tip for those who like charcoal cooking.

Take that old bottle of cooking oil out to the grill and drip a little on the unlit coals.

I use a charcoal chimminey and a little oil on the coals speeds the lighting.

No ugly taste of charcoal lighter. I hate the smell of charcoal lighter.

Any sort of cooking oil should work. Even the gross old bottle under the sink.

Best

CR

Nice but with the strong winds I have where I live it would blow over.

Doubt it - at 245 lbs it ain't goin' anywhere short of a hurricane or tornado. ;)

http://thegood-one.com/smokers-grills/the-open-range/

Howdy,

Ive gone around with several grills.

Char-griller patio pro with a few added touches is about as good as it gets.

The fire can be tended without touching the food ATALL.

they have many larger options, I have not needed them.....yet.

And a tip for those who like charcoal cooking.

Take that old bottle of cooking oil out to the grill and drip a little on the unlit coals.

I use a charcoal chimminey and a little oil on the coals speeds the lighting.

No ugly taste of charcoal lighter. I hate the smell of charcoal lighter.

Any sort of cooking oil should work. Even the gross old bottle under the sink.

Best

CR

I use the chimney method - quick and easy.

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/starting_a_charcoal_fire.html

Howdy,

COOKING on the charcoal chimminey??????????????????

What a grate idea :lol:

Best

CR

Isn't that cool? - I tried it - it works :D

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/extreme_steak.html

Howdy,

COOKING on the charcoal chimminey??????????????????

What a grate idea :lol:

Best

CR

Super. I'll try that.

I used an offset smoker with a separate wood box for years. It wasn't the cheap char-broil one, but one that was seriously heavy duty weighing about 200 pounds with tight doors, and a chimney design that required the smoke to circulate throughout the box. When I was grilling, I could put charcoal into the smoke box and have enough grill space to cook about 80 hamburgers at once. When I sold it on after 20 years, I went to a gas grill for grilling, and an electric smoker. I find that combination works best for me, since I no longer need to feed the entire baseball team.

Short Term Emory and I just dropped off two truckloads of oak with a bunch of apple mixed in at Paradise Pass. Man, I can't wait to taste the steaks we be gonna grill this year!!!!!!

Short Term Emory and I just dropped off two truckloads of oak with a bunch of apple mixed in at Paradise Pass. Man, I can't wait to taste the steaks we be gonna grill this year!!!!!!

Nice.

About this time last year I bought a Kamado Joe (another version of the Big Green Egg).

I probably use it at least once a week - sometimes 2-3 times.

When smoking, I've managed to hold the temp at 225°-250°F for up to 12 hours without ever opening the lid. That was for about 15 lbs of pork - I use a remote digital thermometer to monitor the internal temp.

It's very efficient with lump charcoal.

I can bake, smoke or grill. Just last night we cooked pizzas on it (again).

I got the temp up to 450°F and let the pizza stone heat soak for about 15 minutes. Each pizza took about 10 minutes to cook.

About this time last year I bought a Kamado Joe (another version of the Big Green Egg).

I probably use it at least once a week - sometimes 2-3 times.

When smoking, I've managed to hold the temp at 225°-250°F for up to 12 hours without ever opening the lid. That was for about 15 lbs of pork - I use a remote digital thermometer to monitor the internal temp.

It's very efficient with lump charcoal.

I can bake, smoke or grill. Just last night we cooked pizzas on it (again).

I got the temp up to 450°F and let the pizza stone heat soak for about 15 minutes. Each pizza took about 10 minutes to cook.

Sweet!

Spring is almost here and I received a good tax 'refund' :rolleyes: . Have been a Weber Kettle guy for sometime and will attest that they are excellent grill/BBQ/smoking devices. However I have always had a couple issues 1) at the basic 22" diameter I need more cooking space - they make a 26" version...but...2) would like a bit more sturdiness 3) never liked taking the lid off and hanging it on the side (the wind sometimes blew it off) 4) For grilling - I REALLY like the reverse sear method and there has to be a better way 5) for BBQ/smoking I have the Smokenator and although it is a perfect solution for the kettle, you still had to put in/take out the device, and the space for BBQ was small. I have done oodles of research and have come up with the 'machine' that should work for me for a very long time - well, as long as I remain above ground.

Her she is - and the fact that the dealer is local eliminates shipping cost. The other cool factor is the guy who designed and owns the company will be giving a BBQ demonstration which will add to the knowledge factor....

Hope to share pics and experience sometime after April when this year's version arrives....

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/grill-smoker-combination-grill-smoker/good-one-open-range

Any of y'all have plans for a new cooker this year?

Keep us posted, GG. It looks like a pretty well made cooker. I like my Weber and my Traeger but that one looks like a nice one too.

Keep us posted, GG. It looks like a pretty well made cooker. I like my Weber and my Traeger but that one looks like a nice one too.

Yes indeed. I love my Weber too and hear Traegers are exceptional - here is my current set-up when I cook meat and smoked corn:

duelkettles_zps8b88d876.jpg

Archived