SASS Wire Forum

So, if ya think the Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine was loud...

So, if ya think the Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine was loud... imagine what THIS'll to do your hearing! :lol:

Ruger LCR-X .327 Fed Magnum

"The .327 Federal Magnum is a cartridge introduced by Sturm, Ruger and Federal Cartridge, intended to provide the power of a .357 Magnum in six shot, compact revolvers, whose cylinders would otherwise only hold 5 rounds. The .327 Federal Magnum is actually a super magnum having replaced the .32 H&R Magnum as the pinnacle of the cartridge diameter."

"Based on the .32 H&R Magnum, stretched and loaded to a higher pressure of 45,000 psi (note that standard pressure .44 Magnum is 36,000psi), the .327 (actual bullet diameter .312 in, or 7.92 mm) achieves velocities up to 1,400 ft/s (430 m/s) with 100-grain (6.5 g) bullets (420 m/s and 6.5 g), and up to 1,300 ft/s (400 m/s) with 115-grain (7.5 g) bullets (390 m/s and 7.5 g), from the 3 1/16" (78 mm) barreled Ruger SP101 revolver."

Dang!!! :o

I wrote and deleted three modest paragraphs so far.

Reckon the most intelligent thing I can say is "I'll wait and see how it works."

Aw shux, Linn... probably innerestin' thoughts. :)

Supposedly recoil is much less than a .357, but with a muzzle velocity of something like 1300 fps ahead of 45,000 chamber pressure... I suspect there'll be little doubt when that thing goes off! ^_^

In the meanwhile, I think I'll just be happy with my .38 LCR.

Some 25 years ago, I owned two .30 Carbine revolvers. One was a Blackhawk. They other was a Colt New Service sleeved from .45 Colt to the .30 Carbine. The Colt was owned and modified by a local fishing boat captain that used it to kill sharks. He liked the power and the low price of the ammo.

Both were plugs-and-muffs loud. My guess was that the slower burning rifle powder combusted mostly beyond the muzzle (judging by the flash).

I was glad to sell both together to the next lucky fellow.

Last week, I was shooting my 30 carbine blackhawk at a local indoor range. I sure got a lot of attention. The bugger is loud (and accurate).

I bet that 327 Fed is a hoss in a short barreled lightweight revolver.

GS

Loudest handgun I ever heard at a range was a 10 inch Thompson-Center Contender chambered for .30-30 Winchester. Looked like someone was taking flash photographs at the other end of the indoor range. RSO had to call a cease fire so the shooter could sweep up the unburned powder drifts. :D

I think a 3 inch Ruger LCRx in .327 Federal would make a dandy kit gun in places without bears.

And I've had complaints about my .44-40 from a 7-1/2" barrel loaded to about 950 ft/sec, at SASS matches! On this critter...PASS! And I do use plugs and muffs. Gotta save what hearing I have left in my left ear and the hearing in the right one! (Right-handed rifle shooter who used Ear Valves back in the 1960's. They didn't work! :(

Archived