SASS Wire Forum

Has anyone ordered a unfinished Uberti stock from VTI?

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Looking at getting a carbine buttstock for 73' and VTI sells the unfinished version for considerably less money I enjoy finishing/refinishing etc. Just curious as how much of inletting has been done.

If you do, I would be very interested in hearing how the project goes. I really love my 73, but hate the reddish finish on it. If it's not too much of a hassle and can be done by someone with very limited wood working skills, then it becomes an endeavor I just might take up.

Deuce:

I'd be interested in following its progress too.

Kid:

Our departed pard Longshot Logan published on how to refinish a Uberti stock -- check it out

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/ll_uberti_refinishing.pdf

Thanks

--Dawg

Several years back, I ordered a deluxe stock to cut down for my wife - just couldn't take the saw to the original. The inletting only needed to be cleaned up a bit - no major work required. While it did not have checkering on the pistol grip, a little stain and tung oil turned it into a pretty nice looking stock. I sold it on the wire a while back with a leather buttcover. You may find a few pictures if the search goes back far enough. I'd buy another without hesitation. Good luck.

Howdy Deuce...I have just received an unfinished stock butt for a '66 I want to start using ...still cheaper to bring in form the USA than to buy here in Australia.

It has the inlayed tang slots & rounded to fit into the back of the action , which needs sizing to fit as well doing the main stock area to desired size & fitting a shotgun butt pad ..which is my main reason as I don't like the present crescent stock.

Basically it is a big piece of timber that needs finishing off ! I'm no expert but should end up with something that will do the job, now just have to find the time to do it.

All inletted stocks need fitting to the metal. VTI wood seems to be OK. I have had problems in the past with Macon.

It takes time and a good set of files, sand paper, and if you have a steady hand, a dremel tool. A supply of stock black or prussian blue will be required to get a perfect fit.

Once you have married the wood to the metal, then you can shape the outside to taste.

Ace (who duplicates stocks from Carlo walnut)

Deuce - are you completely opposed to cutting the original stock ?

No, I'm not but but my wife is, her rifle is very customized and a carbine buttstock is part of that equation. I am setting up a backup rifle forf her and she is very very particular and I'm not going to argue with her.

Archived