SASS Wire Forum

TV - ARGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Alpo

Watching this TV show. Made within the last three or four years. But it's taking place in 1947.

They take some dead bodies, put them in a car and pour gasoline over the car, torching the bodies.

The liquid poured on the car was clear.

Gasoline NOWADAYS - unleaded gas - is "water clear".

Gasoline in 1947 was reddish-orange.

Would it have been SOOOOO difficult for the prop guy to put a little red food coloring in the water in the gas can?

They were probably using Amoco "white" gas.

While most oil companies were switching to leaded gasolines en masse during the mid-to-late 1920s,

American Oil chose to continue marketing its premium-grade "Amoco-Gas" (later Amoco Super-Premium) as a lead-free gasoline

by using aromatics rather than tetraethyllead to increase octane levels, decades before the environmental movement of the early 1970s

led to more stringent auto-emission controls which ultimately mandated the universal phase out of leaded gasoline.

I know of Amoco Super Premium - I used to burn it in my Coleman stove. Much cheaper than Coleman fuel.

But the odds of someone having Amoco Super Premium, instead of Shell or Sunoco or Esso or Texaco or Phillips regular seemed kinda low.

I know of Amoco Super Premium - I used to burn it in my Coleman stove. Much cheaper than Coleman fuel.

But the odds of someone having Amoco Super Premium, instead of Shell or Sunoco or Esso or Texaco or Phillips regular seemed kinda low.

Very long winter for you?

I'm curious.

How many watch westerns and bitch?

Duke using a 73 Colt and a 92 Winchester in The Searchers.

Hollywood Henries.

John Ford's cavalrymen wearing white hats.

Indians with saddles underneath the blankets.

Indians with brown-colored shorts underneath their loincloths.

Double action revolvers with fake SAA-type ejector rods.

Wearing a modern hat.

Riding a horse with a modern saddle.

Or modern movies/TV.

Cocking a Glock.

Taking the safety off a Glock.

Shooting a 1911 several times when the slide is obviously locked back.

Chambering a round into the shotgun, going into the building, then chambering a round into the shotgun, to show that you are ready to shoot.

Am I REALLY the only one that gets annoyed with stupidity in TV/Movies?

When you nit pick over the color of gasoline you have crossed over into obsessive compulsive behavior. It seems that you watch movies and read books just to look for and point out simple mistakes. They're fiction for god sakes

Alpo, most of it doesn't bother me, the Duke was notorious for not using period correct firearms. But the one that REALLY bugs me is the one you mentioned about jacking a round into a rifle, pistol or shotgun and then finding it necessary to do it again moments later. I watched some goofy movie the other night and the guy cocked a .45 with the unmistakable 4 click sound of a single action Colt. Guess some of it is more dramatic or whatever....

Archived