SASS Wire Forum

Up for a challenge Garand owners?

OK, The rain won and a few other things. No shooting today for BMC.

I have some important stuff today and tomorrow and the Range is closed

for a match Sunday and for a new roof all next week. But this is all I got

will try to get more later.

http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/CharlieG56/library/Postings

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All eight in the circle = One dead Nazi!

High and to the right. I doped that out and I think I can get them more centered. Not sure what the

Greek ammo is capable of since I have never shot it before. I have some Korean brass that I loaded

with my own load that I also want to try out. I have a lot of work to do with doping out the load info.

The other side of the coin is that the Garand was never designed to be a tack driver, but

rather to work under the most severe circumstances. When Hinnie is coming at you with

blood in his eye, who cares which button you knock off his tunic.

High and to the right. I doped that out and I think I can get them more centered. Not sure what the

Greek ammo is capable of since I have never shot it before. I have some Korean brass that I loaded

with my own load that I also want to try out. I have a lot of work to do with doping out the load info.

The other side of the coin is that the Garand was never designed to be a tack driver, but

rather to work under the most severe circumstances. When Hinnie is coming at you with

blood in his eye, who cares which button you knock off his tunic.

+1

Its not often that those that enjoy Military rifles and collect them, can come together and have some fun with them. I'm sure, everyone of us, given the opportunity to properly zero in, and up to date ammo. Would consistantly be showing impressive targets. One's we would all be in awe of.

For some, it's been a while since we took a collectable out and fired it, some 75 years old. But we're doing it, and hope we are all having fun doing it. MT

Well, a second advantage is that I will also be testing the ammunition in my 1917 Enfield.

I suspect that they will like a different diet, however. It would be too easy if they liked the

same formula.

So many projects that were shelved for lack of time are now starting to come back to mind...

Working up lead loads for the Arisaka Type 99; getting the Mausers dusted off; digging out my cache of .43 Spanish brass and acquiring a proper mold for the Remington roller; doing the same for the '74 Gras... many years ago I turned and fire formed brass for it from .348. This one has some interesting challenges - typically, they take a slightly undersized bullet. It seems that the area just forward of the chamber can be smaller than bore diameter, and a bore-sized bullet will be swaged when leaving the chamber (while causing a pressure spike!), then hopefully will upset to fill the rifling. Strange... but hey, it's French. ^_^

But I ramble!

I have long subscribed to the philosophy "No Wall Hanger Left Behind!" :)

??? I was doing some measuring on the spent brass that I fired last week. I noticed that a few

of the rounds would not fit into my Wilson gauge. They fed into the chamber and fired ok, but

would not fit the tool. I have not sized them and checked them again, but I did notice that the

cases did not grow outside of the cartridge case length for reloading. I suspect that the tool

will change that when I resize them. I am using a RCBS small base die. I guess I will learn

more as I go along. I will wait until I have done all of my shooting for the match and then I

will resize and reload. Want to try some different powder charges to see if she likes something

I am not feeding her. I am wondering if the chamber is slightly oversized. I guess as long as

the brass expands into it, no harm, no foul.

ED: I ran some loaded rounds through the Wilson gauge and they fit slick as snot.

So the brass has expanded into the chamber. Not necessarily a bad thing, as it extracted

just fine and threw the brass out at 2 O'Clock just as suggested.

Oversized chambers are not unusual in the old girls. We were loading 3 live rounds over 5 expended cases in the Post Garands for funeral details. I noticed that some of the fired cases were a bear to extract later. Some came out slick. The expended cases are all mixed up after a detail of course so some of the cases that were fired in an oversized chamber ended up in a gun with a chamber closer to specs. I now load the clips with a plastic dummy as the fourth round.

Archived