SASS Wire Forum

Up for a challenge Garand owners?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dang, where'd I put those Mickey Mouse boots and that map of Kiska?

Okay... we did it! ^_^

The Kid and I loaded up and spent the afternoon at the range. Fifty and one hundred yards each, with Garand, Carbine, and '03 just for the fun of it. Would've taken the Arisaka and a Mauser '98 or two if we'd had more time and ammunition! :)

I'll post pictures when I get a chance, but they won't count... seem's there's a ban on NRA 50 Ft Pistol Targets in these parts. Sheesh... we canvassed every shooting emporium in two counties - no joy. :(

Could have ordered 'em online (and probably will for future use), but this was to have been the only weekend we'd have available in several weeks. Ah well... it was FUN! ;)

The Garand and '03 were shot with original Lake City '67 ammo.

The Carbine, however was a bit of a challenge - seems a bunch of the LC ammunition we had on had was steel jacketed or steel core and was temporarily confiscated at the range house (for good reason - they CAN start fires). A magnet would pick 'em up by the bullet! Steel carbine ammo...?? Who'da thunk! :huh:

Anyway, we had other ammunition on board for the Carbine - one box of Aguila commercial stuff, and a whole bunch of military surplus stuff.

Shoulda stuck with the Aguila, but... hey, certainly nothin' to brag about, but it was fun shootin' up a bunch of Lake City '43 ammo! :lol:

Not real impressed with it, but there were no failures to fire. However, about a third of 'em split.

Okay... gaspipes to clean and supper to cook! :)

I'll post pictures when I get a chance, but they won't count... seem's there's a ban on NRA 50 Ft Pistol Targets in these parts. Sheesh... we canvassed every shooting emporium in two counties - no joy. :(

They will be considered, just have a ruler handy and hold onto them. As to the carbine targets, that is handled by not me. MT

Will do with the ruler, MT. Not that it would matter... these ol' eyes just ain't what they used to be. emo20.gif

Unnerstood 'bout the Carbine thread ~ just reporting on the trip to the range... :)

And Badger, the Kid spent about an hour and a half scrubbing the carbine last night. ;)

Will do with the ruler, MT. Not that it would matter... these ol' eyes just ain't what they used to be. emo20.gif

Unnerstood 'bout the Carbine thread ~ just reporting on the trip to the range... :)

And Badger, the Kid spent about an hour and a half scrubbing the carbine last night. ;)

Glad the 5 round magazines worked out for you. One reason I was late in shipping, I wanted to check them out before mailing, so took them to the range.

Sounds like you had a good time. Nothing better then a day at the range. MT

Tell the Kid that I feel his pain. That is why corrosive ammunition will never touch my rifles. :D

Experience is a hard teacher. It gives the test first and the lesson afterward. :lol:

I find it easier to pull the bullet, dump the powder, soak and deprime the case and

start from scratch. Some may consider me foolish for doing so, BUT, THERE IT IS AGAIN,

THAT UGLY BUT, I am an old man and entitled to do foolish things. ;)

IIRC, the cleaning program is a three day program. He could get the chance to do it again tomorrow

and tonight looks promising also. :ph34r:

TARGETS

Here's a link where you can print out the 50 foot NRA Pistol Slowfire Target (B2). It is a safe link to use. Make sure you change your printer parameters as instructed to get the proper size.

www.1bad69.com/ruger/bullseyepistoltargets.pdf

I'm gunna print some of these up in case my range doesn't have the right target. But which one? The first target is slow fire, the second one is rapid fire. I remember someone asking about that, but don't remember the answer. Looks like the rapid fire has more generous scoring rings and I'd like to get a score greater than 0.

I'm gunna print some of these up in case my range doesn't have the right target. But which one? The first target is slow fire, the second one is rapid fire. I remember someone asking about that, but don't remember the answer. Looks like the rapid fire has more generous scoring rings and I'd like to get a score greater than 0.

Use which ever you wish, I use the slow myself. MT

Remember grouping counts also in case of ties. Best grouping of all 8 shots on paper, then it goes to best 7, 6, 5, 4, etc, final is if all come back with just one hit, closest to bullseye(s). :D MT

Use which ever you wish, I use the slow myself. MT

Remember grouping counts also in case of ties. Best grouping of all 8 shots on paper, then it goes to best 7, 6, 5, 4, etc, final is if all come back with just one hit, closest to bullseye(s). :D MT

What if I miss the target altogether and hit the target frame?

Target frames are harder to hit than targets. I feel I should get additional credit for destroying my target frame.

Will there be Kewpie Dolls as prizes? :blink:

Remember which end is sharp. MT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Mp4HC09S0

Haw! You found the film of Badger in Basic! :lol:

I printed out the target. Man they are tiny. I think I could just take a picture now and get my entry in before anyone else. I'm definitely going to be shooting the rapid fire target since we have a choice. It's got bigger rings. A miss on the slow fire target could still be 6 points on the rapid fire.

What if I miss the target altogether and hit the target frame?

Target frames are harder to hit than targets. I feel I should get additional credit for destroying my target frame.

Will there be Kewpie Dolls as prizes? :blink:

Then you will have two pings for the price of one.

Noe I have to go fine a rapid fire target. Getting soooo complicated.

This is why match directors have a very high suicide rate.

Ready to shoot but.....it's raining. And supposed to rain tomorrow too. Maybe sometime next week. ;(

I'm not particularly proud of either of those. The black on that 50 ft slow fire is simply to small for these old eyes. Every time I brought the front sight to six o'clock the two would simply merge into one blurry smudge. That accounts for the vertical dispersion. At 100 the black was to small to see so I shot using a center of frame hold. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Should waited till all the targets were in to post em. :D

Maybe I'll just do a bayonet charge.

And that's some dang fine shooting, Bugs. Dang fine! :)

And that's some dang fine shooting, Bugs. Dang fine! :)

Thank you Bob, I did tell you guys I used to shoot high power competition and shot the National Championships at Camp Perry. Based on what I could do 25 years ago this is not very good but then my eyes are 25 years older.

Archived