SASS Wire Forum

The price of Damascus Steel Blades Question

Kid Drover

Ten years ago when I first learned of Damascus Steel Blades in knives (versus Damascus Steel Barrels) they seemed to command a much greater price than they do know. I bought several for a small collection in the

late 90's through the mid 20 ought's. You see the knives now for under $100. Back in the day a $300.00

Damascus Blade was considered a good deal?

Is there any reason for the drop in pricing?......Of course, that is if my memory is correct. And, these

days it is a might suspect.

KCD

A lot of cheap Damascus blades are coming in from overseas. I saw a nice looking Damascus knife at a local gun show. It was on a nice display stand and the seller said it was made by a custom knifemaker in Memphis. It had a black horn handle and it was kind of hard to see but it had a sticker on it that said "Pakistan". I asked the seller if Memphis was near Pakistan.

Also, back in the day, most knife makers had to make their own Damascus. Now, not only can you buy Damascus knives from overseas, you can buy Damascus blank material. So, instead of spending hours and hours folding and forging Damascus, a maker can buy a quality blank and make a knife.

Many of the cheaper so called Damascus blades are nothing more the acid etched steel.

OLG

Is there a way to tell the difference?

I like damascus blades, I don't like to be taken.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Examine the ground edge area with a hand loupe or other 10x power magnification. If you are not seeing distinct layers there, only "etched blobs" that seem to cover up to large fractions of the ground edge in the same blob, you do not have a good Damascus blade.

Good Damascus will usually have a repeating pattern, as well. If the patterns are random, most likely not true either.

Good luck, GJ

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Just make sure you buy from a known, trusted knife maker or retailer.

Some of the fakes I have seen, look'd really good.

OLG

Darn, Now I gotta buy a loop to see if any of my "collectables" are "collectables - NOT"!

Thanks for the info

KCD

I've heard if you look through the bottom of a Knob Creek bottle, after you've "emptied it", you can see things "better"....maybe use it instead of a loop :D :D

Hey K.K.,

That's it. I will use one of my many bottles of Knob Creek. If I don't have one that works right, I will

just buy another and try it. It is probably cheaper than a loop, anywho.

KCD

Just make sure you buy from a known, trusted knife maker or retailer.

Some of the fakes I have seen, look'd really good.

OLG

Thinking EBay is out then. :lol:

Waimea

Here's 3 places I trust

http://www.bladehq.com/

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/

http://www.eknives.com/

I have used all 3 for many years, with no issues-ever.

OLG

Bladehq seems to have the best prices.

Blanks to make your own too.

Like that.

Thanks for the info!

Waimea

Archived