SASS Wire Forum

AR scope recommendations (long range)?

So Sassparilla Kid got his barrel, and the remaining parts (free-float tube, rifle length stock, brake, and miscellaneous) should be delivered this week for his AR build.

His first... and he put a great deal of thought into the project, wanting a long range rifle; it has a 24" 6.5 Grendel barrel. Targets and far-away varmints should catch hell. ;)

And now for optics - any recommendations would be appreciated! :)

Sounds like a very nice build. I'm personally very happy with a Nikon 4-16 Nikoplex (sp.). There are a lot of scopes out there that are really good. A lot will depend or ranges, targets, and age of shooters eyes. Buy the best you can possibly afford. Glass is not something to scrimp on.

Nightforce if money is no option, Super Sniper if budget is a concern. I've had both and they're great, at either ends of the cost spectrum.

Since I have been hosting US and NATO sniper teams here for over 10 years (the Canadians just left after 2 weeks on the way to Yemen), I see every quality scope money can buy, Nightforce, S&B, Leupold, US Optics, Swaro, Zeis, Vortex, and the most surprising and absolutely GREAT, the Bushnell Elite Tactical. (It is built in a different factory than all of the other Bushnell scopes) The Bushnell is absolutely amazing for the money. The ERS 6X24 can be had with a Horus 59 reticle. Many of them are currently being used by the teams downrange with NO problems. I have 3 myself. None of the previously listed scoopes except the Nighrforce is worth the extra money from my experience.

Swaro and Zeis have the best glass but lousy reticles, S&B and Vortex won't track, Leupold and US Optics are living on their past reputations, as of today the ONLY super scope is the Nightforce if money is no object, but for a short range cartridge with low recoil like a Grendel you don't need the ruggedness. Buy a Bushnell ERS and never look back, Heck, I even have on on my 300WM F class rifle. Took the Nightforce off of it. (I have 3 Nightforce here), IF you must buy one get the ATACR. Comes down the same production line as the BEAST. The ONLY difference is the turrents.

I didn't include the MARCH scopes as they are in a totally different class quality wise but very serious money. They are also built light to meet the benchrest weight requirements. Worlds better than the new Nightforce benchrest scopes.

Nighforce all the way-

NXS 5-22X56mm MOAR-T reticle

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/nxs/5-5-22x56

Got 2 of them now-Best glass I have ever used!

You have 100-MOA of elevation and 60-MOA of windage with this scope.

OLG

Fantastic information from Happy Jack. His credentials, experience and rock solid

The only thing I can add would be a +1 to his post. The ERS scope he mentions has been getting rave reviews from the long distance guys I know. I haven't heard of one rotating out of country and back to the states from the big sandbox, but I have no doubt there has been at least one.

The Nightforce is a fantastic scope - IF you get the right model - and it will cost more than the rifle.

Great scope, Lumpy ~ but for a kid working his way through college as a ranch hand, it'll have to wait a bit. He'll likely upgrade in the future, but for the present it's gonna have to be one that his budget can bear. :)

Maybe one of these? Osprey

71v0nuc01DL._SL1500_.jpg

"The Nightforce is a fantastic scope - IF you get the right model - and it will cost more than the rifle. "

Then your buy'n some cheap rifles- :lol: :lol:

My GAP sure wasn't cheaper than the NF ;)

LG

There is an exception to every statement.

I did a Grendel build a couple of years ago. I put a Vortex HR long range 4-16 on it. I wanted to try out one of the new fangled Christmas tree reticles and this was one of the only sub-$1,000 scopes that had one. I also like the 1/2 moa per click elevation dial on this model. I prefer more magnification, but their 6-24X models are built on a longer tube which don't look right on an AR in my opinion.

Fixed power will get "more bang for your buck" I've been looking and heard a lot of good about these,

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53712.aspx

I've got one of those on my Savage 10fp. It is big and heavy. I imagine that you could use it as a hammer if you ever needed to. Good buy for the money.

If I were on a tight budget and didn't mind fixed power, I'd opt for the Bushnell Elite 3200 10X mil-mil for $199 (on sale now at Midway). It is a better size (smaller and lighter than the SWFA) for an AR build. IMO, it has been the best bang for the buck in the economy class scope for 15 years.

Great scope, Lumpy ~ but for a kid working his way through college as a ranch hand, it'll have to wait a bit. He'll likely upgrade in the future, but for the present it's gonna have to be one that his budget can bear. :)

71v0nuc01DL._SL1500_.jpg

Nope. If you are on a tight budget, buy a scope with less features but better glass. Cheap scopes with mega zoom and all of the bells and whistles do nothing but look cool. Anything over 20x will be unusable unless you have some really good glass.

Having said that, I have a Meuller Target 8-32X on a 17hmr. I can turn it up to about 24x before it starts degrading quickly. Pretty impressive up to that point though considering the cost. It is only a fine target dot though, which would suck for hunting.

I'd throw the previously mentioned Bushnell Elite 3200 on it as a placeholder for something nicer (when budget allows). You can easily find a new home for the Bushnell once it gets replaced, so it won't be money wasted.

71v0nuc01DL._SL1500_.jpg

You did say in you first post, "any recommendations" didn't you?- :blink:

:ph34r:

OLG

You did say in you first post, "any recommendations" didn't you?- :blink:

:ph34r:

OLG

I did. :)

And all are graciously accepted... like, the Nightforce - which, quite frankly, I'd never heard of before - will definitely be on the "Oh, one of these days!" list. ^_^

Fixed power will get "more bang for your buck" I've been looking and heard a lot of good about these,

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53712.aspx

A scope that won't let you de-focus at higher power to 'read' mirage is the last thing I would want.

Be'n able to read mirage is vital-

OLG

Howdy,

Last I heard my buddy in the sandbox had a leupold on his ar.

I can check on the model if its of intrest.

He has been hard to get in contact lately.

He pretty much bets his life on that ar.

Best

CR

CR, most of the guys running Leupolds on their 5.56's are using the Mark 4 series. But they are $800 and up. I doubt the OP wants to spend that much. I use a MK4 MR/T with the SP reticle on my 3gun AR. It's great for that purpose.

Hardpan, for a descent moderately priced scope you might look at the Burris 6.5-20 MTAC, But I still think in the long run a Bushnell Elite Tactical will make him happier.

It has a focus ring; just not side focus.

You need the higher power to read the mirage-10X just ain't gonna do it.

What's really need'd is to have a parallax that's adjustable for each distance.

Focus and parallax adjustments are not the same thing-

OLG

Archived