SASS Wire Forum

Side Match Speed SG suggestions... please

Widder, SASS #59054

Three pairs of knockdowns, placed so they can be shot from one position; shooter stages shotgun on table, both hands on timer, starts timer himself.

...takes enough time to identify the best shooters without becoming a footrace, no possible interference from timer operator.

I shoot a side by side.

Having separate competitions for side by side and 97 and lever action shotguns is ok by me.

I'm thinkin' along these lines..

About the only thing I'd add??

Yer first run through is YOUR time that counts..

Then have an "I BOUGHT IT" for any other times..

fer as long as ya want to keep tryin' it..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I got one of them there "I bought it" trophies.. Fer a team side match.. Man.. We had a ball!! :)

Then have three timers AND declare up front that letting timer hit the ground is a DQ, because you will have a shooter or several drop the timer hard enough to bounce.

Good luck, GJ

The timer is on a surface. One finger is on the button, a finger on the other hand is touching the timer. Both fingers are lifted to start the timer. The timer doesn't move. It's not hard at all.

The timer is on a surface. One finger is on the button, a finger on the other hand is touching the timer. Both fingers are lifted to start the timer. The timer doesn't move. It's not hard at all.

We did it at our state shoot one year and it worked well. Can't jump it if you start it.

What ever you do have help. Standing in line for 8-10 shooters is painful personally I lose my desire to do it once I get there (my ADD kicking in). We don't charge for side matches and they are unlimited. You are only limited by how much ammo you have. Don't care oh much it takes you because if you get it done it means you DO have the skill. Really despise "call your run". 4 shots works for me but 6 seperates the men from the boys.

I agree with Deuce, 6 is what it should be. It forces a 97 shooter who pulls four to go back to the belt.

I also despise "call your run" and vehemently despise "first run for score"....hey we're shootin "fastest SG" not "luckiest first timer"...

I also agree with Tater....port arms makes it fair.

Shoot it at least as many times as Widder does, and then once more to whip him!

Red Knee

Shoot it at least as many times as Widder does, and then once more to whip him!

Red Knee

RED KNEE eyes only:

For most of us, SLICK will stop the Side Match events around 3 or 4:00ish. But for some of you, he might let you hang around till midnight.....IF you think its gona give you enough time to whoop up on me..... :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

Six target is 50% more than we see on most stages. It should be enough to differentiate shooters.

If a shooter has to make up a miss, then they are not going to have a competitive time anyways; there is no need to have this rule.

Starting from a table is the easiest way to level the playing field.

Targets that can be reset with a rope from the shooting line will greatly reduce the time between shooters.

Different clases for SxS, 87 and 97 seems fair.

I have always felt the most fair way was to start with SG in hand, may be shouldered, with the off hand on the timer. Time is set for instant, shooter starts their own time. This eliminates any chance for shooter jumping the beep.

Yep! AND, 6 or 8 shots, REALLY test that reload speed!, targets set in pairs, "V" formation, any order.

1st run for "trophy", additional runs @ $1 per for braggin' rights and a fund raiser... additional runs take time from other side matches, allowing a pard that just wants to win @ one event to bottleneck other shooters that want to try 'em all.

My favorite speed shotgun set up was in Canada, 10 shots but no reset, went fast no line. Start with shotgun in hand, both hands on gun. Two cylinders targets setup about 5 yards apart and 10 yards downrange. At the beep alternate with 10 rounds no double tapes, no makeups.

Archived