SASS Wire Forum

What is the call- Shooter doesn't fulfill stage description requirements?

Blastmaster

We made it clear once the stage is read and questions asked the SM which is what we call them, leaves the stage in charge of the PM and TO's. He or she can watch but not interfere unless during the shooting a question arises. Then they answer what ever the question may be and goes and sits down. Their sole job is reading the stage, not running it. So far it's worked out very well.

Looks like you do not need a posse marshal on the stage. Under those circumstances why would anyone want to be a posse marshal?

Experience with berm marshals in other locations made their use virtually obsolete. In some cases these "gods" took over total control of the stages from the posse marshal and others on the stage to the point most shooters wanted them banished. I personally saw a berm marshal at a regional shoot insist on running the timer for every shooter in the match. When challenged the match director stood by his berm marshal. I saw berm marshals over ride spotters on hits and misses, ie call misses not seen by any other range official. I saw berm marshals impose other penalties on shooters not called by any stage official other than themselves. Another issue with berm marshals, is that they need to shoot the match at a different day than everyone else. I have seen the weather for these earlier days to be far better than the actual match (ie clear versus pouring down rain). Shooters in their categories were very upset about that situation.

Have heard bad stories about Berm Marshals.

But have also seen at EOT. That some posses shot a stage with a table 10 foot from where we shot it.

Berm Marshal would have caught that.

I would have no problem with BM's it they just do what they are suppose to.

Make sure every posse gets the same instructions and the same answer to questions.

Make sure the stage is set up the same for every posse.

Then let the posse and the PM do there job.

That's tough when you ask 50 or 60 year old guys to all do a task the same way, half of them don't show up for a walk-through or talk-through, and the other half don't remember half of what they were told to enforce. So, each one feels like they just better wing it, cause they aren't getting paid anyway, and probably have to shoot-through before the match to be free to stand around a berm during the match.

No, berm marshal is a thankless, no-reward job. The posse marshal is there to handle the normal stuff - give each PM a way to signal for a match official (radio, flag to raise, iPad app to chat with the match office, etc) and let the match official(s) handle the tough questions. And have the match officials inspect the stages at least every morning, with a photo in hand of how props are arranged and targets are set. This would not be technically tough for any club to do.

They don't play football games without the officials inspecting the field before the game (deflated balls, they will probably check for from now on, too). Why should we be doing Nationals or World Championships without verifying stage layout at least once a day?

Good luck, GJ

Have heard bad stories about Berm Marshals.

Howdy Anvil Al,

Just wondering what the background is for the bad stories??? Is it because some shooter was dis- appointed that they could shoot the stage their way? Was there BM incompetence or maybe some " Buddy Posse" help. The folks telling their stories did they mention that the MD was notified?

LPL and I are BM's and when we are shooting on the shoot thru posse we give the instructions for our stage, with match higher ups watching and listening to what we do and say.

Bad BM's should not be tolerated just like bad TO's and PM's!!!!!

Nawlins

I gotta stand up for Charlie Whiskers, and the Montana state match. I shot at their match the last two yrs, and they had a berm marshal in each bay. They read the stage, and answered a question or two, and let the TOs do their job. There wasn't many questions that I can recall because the stages were pretty straight forward. They all worked hard to throw a great match and it really showed. The whole outfit treated Tillie and I like family. We were on a great posse last yr, and everyone worked for the shooter on the line.

I gotta stand up for Charlie Whiskers, and the Montana state match. I shot at their match the last two yrs, and they had a berm marshal in each bay. They read the stage, and answered a question or two, and let the TOs do their job. There wasn't many questions that I can recall because the stages were pretty straight forward. They all worked hard to throw a great match and it really showed. The whole outfit treated Tillie and I like family. We were on a great posse last yr, and everyone worked for the shooter on the line.

Thank you Lunger. We tried to make it fun for all with no issues. You and yours are welcome to come back anytime and hope you do. The Shoot this year is at the newer club in Great Falls, but it'll be pretty much the same folks doing the stages as the last 2 years. Hope to see you and your National Champion better half here this year. And congrats on 3rd place, with that many shooters just being in the top ten in a category would be nice for me. Yeah, I'm dreaming. I usually manage to be 11th out of 10 shooters.

On a side note, the Stage or Berm Marshalls we had weren't shooting the shoot nor did they do a shoot through. They were members that offered to help by taking on that job. And they each checked their stage before shooting started each day to make sure everything was in place as it should be.

Thank you Lunger. We tried to make it fun for all with no issues. You and yours are welcome to come back anytime and hope you do. The Shoot this year is at the newer club in Great Falls, but it'll be pretty much the same folks doing the stages as the last 2 years. Hope to see you and your National Champion better half here this year. And congrats on 3rd place, with that many shooters just being in the top ten in a category would be nice for me. Yeah, I'm dreaming. I usually manage to be 11th out of 10 shooters.

On a side note, the Stage or Berm Marshalls we had weren't shooting the shoot nor did they do a shoot through. They were members that offered to help by taking on that job. And they each checked their stage before shooting started each day to make sure everything was in place as it should be.

I too will support Charlie Whiskers on the value of Berm Marshalls. I have been to a Regional match for 7 years were they were used. I have been unable to attend the event for the last 3 years but do believe they are still used and hope to make it back there this year. The BM's performed tasks as required in the RO1 on page 10 providing clear instruction on the way the way the stage was to be shot and ensured consistency by all posses and participants.

As to the original Question - It's a "P"

Archived