SASS Wire Forum

Wtb sass guns

Dawn

Welcome!

Where are you located? I'm sure there are cowboys in your neck of the woods that would be glad to help you get started.

I have a pair of 5 1/2" Ruger Vaqueros in .357/.38 for sale, short stoked with smooth action. i bought them new when I started CAS last summer. Can email pics if interested...

Howdy,

You might want to put at least your state on your profile.

In state transfers are usually easier.

If you really want to be ready for a match in April, you have some work ahead of you.

Most fellas starting up try rugers, marlin rifle and stoeger shotgun.

The idea of shooting various guns before buying is a fine idea.

And it well could add MONTHS to the day you shoot a match.

Many pards buy different guns over time.

Some start with one caliber and switch over to another for various reasons.

It also helps if you reload as reloading can keep the costs down.

Not necessary but a decent idea.

Depends on how many matches per month you shoot.

Good luck.

Best

CR

ps - don't fergit yer canteen, pard.

Have done shot and have a ffl lined up to receive . Looking for 92 or 73 or. 66 in. 357

Shotgun 12 ga side x side with double triggers

Pistols in 357 5 1/2 inch barrels

Thanks

See post #7!

Ruger's run forever. If you need a part, the company's C/S is tops.

OLG

A 92 or 73 or 66 is quite a span if rifles. There is a lot of span of feel and price there.

You really need to get to some matches. Friendly cowboys, as most are, will let you handle and probably shoot the various guns.

How competitive are you? Do you want to win it all or just shoot to have fun and not care where you end up at the end of the day? 92's can be made to be very competitive, but you'll find most of the top shooters (I'm not one of them) use 73's or a tuned Marlin. I shoot 73's. Ruger's are the best built pistols hands down. Odds are you'll never have one break. Personally, I don't like the feel and balance of them or I'd be shooting Ruger's. A very good and not very expensive SxS is the Baikal. They are built like a tank. The older Stoeger's were good shotguns. The newer one I had was a piece of junk. I had shot 5 or 6 boxes of low recoil low noise shells through it and it developed an .018th gap between the barrels and frame. Stoeger couldn't fix it so they replaced it. I sold it asap and bought a Baikal...my 2nd one. I now have 3 of them. One is a loaner for folks coming to a shoot and not having a shotgun. You can get a tuned ready to go Baikal from Johnny Meadows for about $530 ish. He's done 2 of the 3 Baikal's I have.

Choose wisely when you do decide on what to buy. Just starting out in this is expensive enough without jumping into buying just to have something to shoot, and then find out you're not happy with what you bought. it sounds like you've had the chance to shoot different makes and models. That should help you decide. If not, wait until you try out even more.

Archived