SASS Wire Forum

Derringers for Side Match

Marshal Ruger

As being a fairly new member, I was wondering about how Derringers are used in Side Matches. I am wondering what caliber is mostly used and how the side match is written to include the use of the Derringer. Recently I purchased the Bond Arms Texas Defender and am wondering if the 32 S&W cartridge is acceptable since I see pocket pistols must be .31 caliber or larger? Any additional information would greatly be appreciated.

Marshal Ruger

Derringers and pocket pistols have different definitions. From the Shooter's Handbook, p. 17:

A Derringer is defined as an external hammer, fixed sight, breech loading or percussion
ignition, small frame pre-1900 design firearm having one to four barrels up to three and onehalf
inches long. Derringers must be .22 caliber or larger. The Remington style over/under
barrel configuration and the Sharps four-barreled Pepperbox are typical SASS–legal
Derringers.

I think you're probably good to go, unless someone else knows why your particular model isn't permitted.

Here's the link to the Shooter's Handbook in case you want to see it for yourself: http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/SASS%20Handbook%20Ver%2019_2.pdf

A derringer side match will sometimes be just two shots at close targets, usually paper targets so no chance of splash back. Might be 3 yards out.Often shot starting with derringer on table, shooter seated. At buzzer, pick up gun and hit the paper targets with timer running. Best time for a clean run wins.

It's worth practicing reloads, as sometimes it will be four shots. Practice with extra ammo in hand, on table, in pockets, or from cartridge slide.

There is little standardization on side matches like this, so be ready for some variety. Bonds usually win out over the other derringers, as they hold up, always function and are large enough to handle easily.

Good luck, GJ

Not sure about your age, but if your fingers are old and stiff- 32 might not be the best choice on the reload, I have a Bond in a 32 and them small shells are hard to handle on the reload. Bought a 45 barrel and it seems easier to load those big holes. Down loading the 45 also helps.

Firearm wise, your fine. As for the sidematch, you'll only shoot the derringer.

There's alot of different ways a perticular club may set up for that side... I've sat at a table holding a deck of cards, there's been times your palms are flat on table.

It could call for the shooter to be standing with muzzle touching table. I've stood in front of a giant big bubba target with muzzle pointing at ground in front of target.

There's many imaginitive ways for speed derringer to be shot.

As for target and distance.... usually distance is just a couple feet away. You could be shooting at a paper plate, steel or even a balloon.

I'll pass a little tip on to you that a Top derringer side winner, and friend of mine, ( Twin ), gave me a few years back.... before you load it ( which you'll do on the line ), position your pins so that the top barrel will fire first.. that way, if your starting with muzzle pointing down, your momentom obviously is swinging up, so the chance of a miss is reduced on the second shot.

It's such a simple tip, but I never thought of it before he explained it.

Have fun and watch them cowboys and cowgirls that'r fast.... they get 2 shots off in a blink of an eye !!

There for a while some derringer matches required a shotgun also. The bond is the only double barrel derringer I know of with rebounding hammers so the firing pins are retracted when you let off the trigger. The others require you yo be carefull and slow when closing the locking setup other wise the extended firing pin can ignite the primer and set off the round when snap the barrels closed.

Archived