SASS Wire Forum

73 STICKING

Prairie Dog

At my last match my Uberti 73 38/357 started sticking when the lever is all the way forward by the 6th stage the gun stuck open (lever all the way forward bolt all the way back) the rifle has 10 to 12 thousand rounds thru it with a full action job by Longhunter I brought the rifle home and cleaned it tore it all the way down I cant see any thing that looks broken or not working put it back together same thing where do I start looking for problem bolt ,hammer ,links THANKS for your help P Dog

Check the pin that holds the extractor in....sometimes it might work itself loose and extend out the side a little bit and that might catch on the carrier.

Cartridge support tab at the bottom edge of bolt face could be bent downwards. That tab will catch on the metal of the frame as the bolt retracts into the frame, then can even stick there so the bolt can't be run forward with the lever.

Bending the tab back straight will not fix the problem for very long, as your lifter timing is off (most likely), and once bent, that tab usually is weak and breaks within a few stages. This problem will require welding on (or milling bolt for) a new tab and then checking lifter/bolt timing relationship.

All this could have come from one slight out-of-battery discharge that bent the lever.

So, check your cartridge support tab.

Good luck, GJ

Kajun and Joe,thanks checked pin was fine tab not so good bent down I had a spare bolt set up for the gun put it in and it works fine checked clearance on tab and headspace both are good don't know how I couldn't see that looked at gun 50 times and just never thought to look at tab will get new tab put on bolt thanks again P Dog

Kajun and Joe,thanks checked pin was fine tab not so good bent down I had a spare bolt set up for the gun put it in and it works fine checked clearance on tab and headspace both are good don't know how I couldn't see that looked at gun 50 times and just never thought to look at tab will get new tab put on bolt thanks again P Dog

I've heard more than once that Lassiter is your man.

CR

Remove the links and let us know if the lever is jammed or the bolt.

If it is the bolt then your support tab is the most likely culprit.

It doesn't take much sticking to cause it to stop functioning.

A little welding and a little filing will repair.

Mine broke off but the rifle ran fine without the tab on it. I decided to send the bolt to Lassiter to have it machined and pinned. He did a great job and it runs fine, time will tell about the durability.

Blackfoot

Got a replacement bolt assembly from VTI last year. Included bolt, firing pin w/ spring, extractor and firing pin extention. $120 bucks.

It's in my spare part bin, but it was installed long enough to check function and headspace.

Archived