SASS Wire Forum

'59 Bel Air vs 2009 Chevy Malibu

I've seen that, dunt ever wunna ride in a 59 after that, but then, I am in His Hands, I dunt need to worry about it, my ticket has been paid in full and I'm ready to ride home!!!

When I was in high school taking drivers ed, they showed us movies with names like "Death on the Highway" and "The Highway at Night". Pretty scary and gruesome stuff but that was 40 years ago. Safety advances have clear advantages over the old cars....by a long shot. Handling, tires, anti-lock brakes, air bags, traction contol and the list goes on.

Give me a '59 Bel Air any day over a 09' Malibu.....I'll take my chances.

I've seen that, dunt ever wunna ride in a 59 after that, but then, I am in His Hands, I dunt need to worry about it, my ticket has been paid in full and I'm ready to ride home!!!

;)

One of the best of the gory driver ed vids was "Red Asphalt".

These were made buy our CHP.

Could have made a few vids myownself, when I was an LEO work'n crashes. The worst part was deal'n with dead kids :(

OLG

One of the best of the gory driver ed vids was "Red Asphalt".

These were made buy our CHP.

Could have made a few vids myownself, when I was an LEO work'n crashes. The worst part was deal'n with dead kids :(

OLG

Yup... Remember the film well seeimg it driver's ed in 1983.

GG

I just wanna' know who the dumb@$$ was that wrecked a '59 Chevy!!??

Most people don't realize that those cars didn't come with seat belts standard. That one was likely a rust bucket from what I saw of the frame collapsing. My mother hit a tree in her '59 Impala and it didn't buckle the way that one did. Hers had the optional seat belts installed. She hit left front, right on the frame horn! In the video they passed the frame horn and hit the left front suspension.

Lumpy! My dad worked an accident on highway 41 going to Ft. Campbell outside of Nashville years ago. Five drunk soldiers ran up under the back of a truck. The coroner and ambulances arrived and began collecting the carnage. The coroner's assistant was lifting one of the victims out of the car, (the roof had peeled back and decapitated the victims) when the fifth occupant of the car suddenly sat up!! He had passed out and layer over in the lap of another passenger. He was covered in gore, but otherwise un-injured. The coroner's assistant was treated for a head injury after he passed out from the shock. The drunk never knew what happened. Daddy always said that the Good Lord looks after drunks and idiots.

Yup... Remember the film well seeimg it driver's ed in 1983.

GG

What you saw was version 2.

Some where, I have a copy(VHS)of the first version that came out in 1964 and the one I saw in high school around 1967.

OLG

What you saw was version 2.

Some where, I have a copy(VHS)of the first version that came out in 1964 and the one I saw in high school around 1967.

OLG

Yes #2... Newport Harbor High.

Very graphic.

GG

Not as bad as see'n/smell'n it, up close and real- :(

OLG

Never said it was. I remember an accident that was pretty bad when I was on a ride along as a NB police explorer. The driver was DOA. The first dead person I ever saw ( outside of a funeral)....part of the reason why I knew I was not cut out to be a police officer.

GG

The worst part was then tell'n the parents that their kid was just killed.

Did that to many times-Still have nightmares.

OLG

I can only imagine that. Sad stuff. Thanks for your service to your community.

GG

The worst part was then tell'n the parents that their kid was just killed.

Did that to many times-Still have nightmares.

OLG

Yeah! Dad had to tell three of my friends' parents the news at one time!! It wasn't a good time around the house for a while, and he never stopped hounding me about my hot rodding. He always helped me make 'em safe as well as fast. I don't think he ever quit worrying about my need for speed, but I took it to the track for the most part. He did take me to a few fatal accidents to try to put "the fear of the Lord" into me, but he accepted that I was ten feet tall and bullet proof. I DID learn from him that drinking and driving was not conducive to good health and longevity.

Archived