SASS Wire Forum

Clay Dot VS Clays

Nota John, SASS #51089L

Had to go to Clay Dot because Clays is "temporarily" non-existent. Power looks the same, loads the same, and appears to shoot the same. (I've not noticed the temperature-sensitive aspect that Smokestack has seen.) …R

Is Clay Dot a clean shooting powder like Clays?

Nawlins

I shot my first Clay Dot shotgun loads this past Sat., I thought it actually shot a little cleaner than Clays. I haven't loaded any 38 sp. yet; their website only advertises it as a shotgun powder, can it be loaded in 38sp the same as Clays?? I used to load Clays for everything, even my 45acp loads for WB.

It seems that I have to go down one bushing size on my MEC to match the Clays charge weight using Clay Dot. When Clays becomes available again I'll probably stick with Clay Dot for shot shells. I do like Clays in my .45acp.

I shot my first Clay Dot shotgun loads this past Sat., I thought it actually shot a little cleaner than Clays. I haven't loaded any 38 sp. yet; their website only advertises it as a shotgun powder, can it be loaded in 38sp the same as Clays?? I used to load Clays for everything, even my 45acp loads for WB.

Don't let that lack of printed recommendation stop you. Alliant has been slow to publish load data for the metallic's with that powder.

They have promised to do better on that in the future. Just load Clay Dot using Clays data, (Grain for grain), and all will be well. I, as well as many others have gone to Clay Dot since Clays is not available, and notice no difference in performance.

Per past published recommendation, Clay Dot directly replaces Clays, when used grain for grain.

RBK

Yes, Clay Dot has lots of good things going for it.

Slightly cleaner than Clays

Better with light loads and cold weather than Clays

Cheaper than Clays

Loads to almost exactly same weights as Clays - I usually find I need about 5% more weight to get same cartridge velocities, but that may just be me.

And it's being made and sold today.

Yipee! GJ

I've been trying to get Clay Dot to try for over a year and can't find any. Doesn't seem to be any more available than Clays.

Ben Scalped

Didn't say it was being sold you YOU.

:lol:

Natchez (on-line) had it a few hours ago - they must have gotten a large Alliant shipment.

Check your local independent gun shops - they are generally getting more from distributors right now than the "big guys".

Good luck, GJ

Natchez showed it but when you try to order they say out of stock. I've checked them and another almost daily for several months and have missed it a couple of times by an hour or so.

Thanks

Ben

Archived