SASS Wire Forum

Rorke's Drift

Subdeacon Joe

Letter sold for £15,000

A rare eyewitness account by one of the British heroes of the Battle of Rorke's Drift - where 150 soldiers fought off 4,000 Zulu warriors - has sold for £15,500 at auction.

Assistant Commissary Officer (ACO) Walter Dunne's letter, dated January 24, 1879, describes how he and a vastly outnumbered group of soldiers successfully defended the outpost in South Africa.

The ACO was recommended for the Victoria Cross for his role in the heroic stand, which was later immortalised in the 1964 film Zulu, starring Michael Caine and Stanley Baker.

1416068934914_Image_galleryImage_article
1416068941881_Image_galleryImage_article

Great movie, great lines, great battle scenes......

but the history in it sucks big green horse apples.

What? you want entertainment AND correct history from the film industry? They prefer to show it like it never was but shudda been.

Can someone elaborate on the general historical-movie inaccuracies?

At that time, the regiment was the 2nd Warwickshire, not the 24th Foot, South Wales Borderers.

It was only about 15% Welsh - which was higher than the average regiment, but still not a 'Welsh regiment.'

Lt. Bromhead wasn't the know-it-all, toffy nosed toff. Young, yes. Unblooded, yes. A good soldier? Open to debate. One who served with him called him "a capital fellow in everything except soldiering. It wasbecause of a hearing problem, he stepped aside in favor of Chard, not the three years difference in their date of commission (yes, years, not months).

The rifle the Zulu used had been gotten in trade, not taken from the action the day before.

Commisary Dalton wasn't the poltroon as shown, but an important member of the staff in planning the defense. If I recall, his was the suggestion to hide behind "a few mealie bags" and knew that they had enough to build the defenses up.

Miss Witt wasn't there, nor was Mr. Witt drunk that day.

The Zulu didn't stand on the ridge, salute them, and then withdraw. Both sides were whipped to the raw from a full day and night of continuous fighting. The Brits were almost out of ammunition and likely would have been over run after two or at the most three more charges. What caused the withdrawal was Zulu lookouts spotting Chelmsford's relief column getting close.

And, sadly, no one sang "Rhyfelgyrch Gwŷr Harlech."

Those are some of the major ones. There are the usual entertainment industry fast & loose with equipment, uniforms, etc. Some of that understandable - the Martini-Henry rifles weren't exactly overflowing the prop houses, filming order prevented the uniforms being as tattered at the end as they should have been, and such.

As a documentary, somewhat lacking.

But as a rousing good film, Superb! :D

One big inaccuracy is that the missionary Otto Witt wasn't a drunken sot. He did leave the mission just before the battle with one of the hospital patients. I don't think his daughter was present at all. But what dramatic effect where the missionary in the movie is shouting, "You're all going to DIE! DIE! DIE!!"

Also, Hook was a good soldier, not the malingering discontent shown in the movie. The movie did an injustice to Hook's good name.

My favorite character in the movie was Colour Sergeant Bourne. His professional demeanor never changed regardless of the situation. Good leader, good subordinate, good soldier.

One big inaccuracy is that the missionary Otto Witt wasn't a drunken sot. He did leave the mission just before the battle with one of the hospital patients. I don't think his daughter was present at all. But what dramatic effect where the missionary in the movie is shouting, "You're all going to DIE! DIE! DIE!!"

Also, Hook was a good soldier, not the malingering discontent shown in the movie. The movie did an injustice to Hook's good name.

Thank you! I knew I forgot to put something in.

Pretty incredible story. I've read a bit about it, but I haven't read that book UB.

A note though, to clarify something that was posted earlier. The Battle at Rorke's Drift did happen the same afternoon that roughly 1,300 soldiers, from the parent unit of those at Rorke's Drift, were massacred at Isandlwana by a force of 20,000 Zulus. I think Isandlwana was about 10-15 miles from the mission, maybe less. The 4,000 Zulu's that attacked Rorke's had gotten bored with the other engagement and were looking for plunder.

The Zulu's were also under orders from their King not to attack Rorke's, as it was across the river and border from their lands. The King did not want to invade another country, he was just trying to keep the British out of his.

Commissary Dalton was "up from the ranks." A dirty rotten former enlisted man, he wasn't awarded his VC until some time after the others... As mentioned, he was responsible for much of the defense planning, but (supposedly) being "low born" he was overlooked for the VC at first.

Color SGT Bourne was offered a commission afterward, but as the 8th child in his poor family, he would not have been able to maintain the officers standard expected in the British military. At that time, Officers compensation did not cover the many customs and traditions they were expected to maintain. So, most Officers of that time period "paid their own way" in the military. Literally. SGT Bourne turned down the commission.

At the outset of the engagement, the British and Colonial force at the station numbered close to 450. A colonial infantry company, and a colonial cavalry troop were present in addition to the British regulars there to guard the hospital and supply depot. The colonial units both fled early on. The cavalry troop was involved somehow in the fighting earlier that day in Isandlwana, so they might be forgiven. Probably a pretty scared group of guys.

Over the course of the fight at Rorkes Drift, the remaining 140+/- defenders fired over 19,000 of the 20,000 rounds they had stockpiled, from Martini-Henry rifles. The Martini-Henry military load at the time, IIRC, was a 480 grain .45 cal bullet, over 85 grains of black powder. If every man fired an equal share of those rounds, that works out to 135 rounds each. And this is never the case, as some men in combat will always shoot more than those around them.

Personally I can't imagine firing that many rounds through one of those rifles in one afternoon and evening. They grew 'em tougher back then.

Say what you will about England, but the British military has always been a machine that demands respect.

Color SGT Bourne was offered a commission afterward, but as the 8th child in his poor family, he would not have been able to maintain the officers standard expected in the British military. At that time, Officers compensation did not cover the many customs and traditions they were expected to maintain. So, most Officers of that time period "paid their own way" in the military. Literally. SGT Bourne turned down the commission.

Hmmm.....I have it the other way. He asked for, and was given, a commission rather than the VC and rose to Lt. Col.

The story of Cpl. Christian Ferdinand Schiess (Natal Native Contingent) is a sad tale.

He was born on 7 April 1856, Burgdorf, Bern Canton, Switzerland. His place of origin was Herisau, Canton Appenzall Ausserrhoden. He died in poverty on board 'Serapis' on route to England, his passage being paid for by public subscription. He was unable to find employment in South Africa, even from the British authorities, and it was said of him later that had he mentioned that he had been involved at Rorke's Drift, and had indeed won a Victoria Cross, then the men he knew may well have had a different attitude to him - Still, it was too late then.

I recommend a visit to this site for those interested in more info concerning Rorke's Drift. http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/index.html

Hughes: "Colour Sergeant Bourne, what's that shooting? "

Bourne: "A rifle, Hughes. If you're sick in hospital, I suggest you lie down. "

Hughes: "Yes, Colour Sergeant."

Hughes (to Pvt. Hook): "Hookie, who's doing all that shooting? - Who do you think? - Who do you think? "

Hook: "Mr. Bromhead is shooting flaming defenceless animals for the flaming officers' flaming dinner. I wish he'd bring us some fresh meat.

Hughes: "I wonder what they're cooking for supper. "

Hook: "Same as usual. Horse meat and axle grease."

Colour Sergeant Bourne: It's a miracle.

Lieutenant John Chard: If it's a miracle, Colour Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry point 45 caliber miracle.

Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind.

Hmmm.....I have it the other way. He asked for, and was given, a commission rather than the VC and rose to Lt. Col.

Well, you might have a better source than I. I read some british military history deal. It was a collection of different stories through the years.

Well, you might have a better source than I. I read some british military history deal. It was a collection of different stories through the years.

I just went, as it were, to the horses mouth - the transcript of his radio interview. I stand corrected:

Seven VC's were awarded to this one Company of the Regiment which is now the South Wales Borderers. I have told you the names of the four men who won the VC; the other three were Lieutenant Bromhead, Corporal Allen and Private F. Hitch. The Victoria Cross was also awarded to Lieutenant Chard, Royal Engineers, Surgeon Reynolds, and Corporal Schiess, but not one, I regret to say, of those VCs is alive today. In fact, there are only six survivors of Rorke's Drift alive today: Ex-Privates W. Cooper, G. Edwards, H. Martin, W. Owens, H. Williams, and myself.

Lieutenants Chard and Bromhead and the men received the thanks of Parliament, the Officers being promoted to the rank of Major. I was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal with an annuity of £10 - the same awarded to the Victoria Cross - and awarded a Commission, but as I was the youngest of eight sons, and the family exchequer was empty, I had to refuse it that time.

Now just one word for the men who fought that night; I was moving amongst them all the time, and not for one moment did they flinch, their courage and their bravery cannot be expressed in words: for me they were an example of my soldiering days.

He did retire as a Lt Col but it was a brevet rather than a commission.

Archived