SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1873 22cal ?

Long Fingers, SASS#56813

Came across a Winchester 1873 in 22 cal at the LGS today. I was in a hurry looking for another item and didn't get to examine it very close. I didn't realize until this evening that at 73 in 22 cal appears to be a fairly rare firearm? Couldn't find much info online or in the couple books that I could reference. Condition didn't appear to be great , blueing was gone on most of the firearm. Wood had a nice patina and appeared to be in decent shape for a 100+ years old. I think 24" oct barrel, no loading gate on the side. Function, bore, Ser# ??? don't know yet..

I'm going to try and stop back in the morning but was hoping someone out there had some additional info on rarity, things to look for, value range, ect...

Thanks, LF

Hope it is still there when you get back! I had a chance to buy one in 1963, but passed on it in favor of something else (can't recall what). The magazine loads something like a gallery .22. These were chambered in .22 rf short or .22 rf long (NOT long rifle). They were NOT recommended for use with smokeless powder cartridges.

Howdy,

I have an old colt that only uses standard speed .22 ammo.

Its been a pain to shoot with the ammo shortage.

If you want to shoot it that's a consideration if its an investment

that's a whole different aminal.

I told myself a long time ago that Im not starting a museaum.

Sounds like a cool gun, please don't tell me where it is.

Best

CR

Oh no you are in Illinois...rats.

Hope it is still there when you get back! I had a chance to buy one in 1963, but passed on it in favor of something else (can't recall what). The magazine loads something like a gallery .22. These were chambered in .22 rf short or .22 rf long (NOT long rifle). They were NOT recommended for use with smokeless powder cartridges.

I'm reasonably sure it will still be there, probably still be there after I see it again. It is very cool but I haven't convinced myself I need a $1900 wall hanger unless that price is a steal and it;s really worth a lot more. From what little I have found so far $1900 is a little on the high side vs its condition??

Do you know why it was not recommended for smokeless rounds? It appeared to be built on a full size 73 frame, ... it has a full size octagon barrel with that little 22 hole drilled through it. Appearance wise you would think smokeless rounds wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks, LF

"Not recommended for smokeless ammunition." was according to the Madis book. Perhaps the only .22 ammo available during production of the .22 cal. '73 was .22 Long Rifle. I really don't know. I can NOT say it would be safe to shoot smokeless ammo in these rifles, but I'm not sure of a source, currently, for any .22 Short Rimfire or .22 Long Rimfire ammo, anyway. Your thought on the relative strength of a '72 in one of the .22 rimfire chamberings viz-a-viz a centerfire model may be correct. [i am not responsible for the use of the above information in any rifles not currently my own...and maybe even not then. Standard disclaimer.]

Howdy,

It would be hard to believe that a .22 regular load would damage a 1873 rifle.

If it was a little pistol or a derringer sure, but all that steel?????

Best

CR

ps-any pix????

Last one I saw at a gun show was $2500. That was about 15 years ago. It was a very nice specimen.

They have been available as replicas, but I don't know if they still are.

Winchester22lr003-1_zps6d48d412.jpg

A person living near me has one in 22 short, looks just like the one in the picture. We have shot it many times with modern 22 shorts. The last ones we used were CCI"s. It was not a target gun but shot as well and the average 22 rifle. Bullett 19707

Archived