SASS Wire Forum

How often do you see PISTOL(S) in hand or hands...

Creeker, SASS #43022

Back in the Old days, we only had 3 guns and the pistol was usually started out and down at a 45 degree angle. adding a second gun kinda changed all that.

Jake

What Cheylly said...

"Cowboy port arms'...what an antiquated way of doing things! I remember when THAT was woo-hoo. Now, seems we use "in hand'. Simple and direct. Cowboy port...what? Why go back to that!!!

Shooter starts with revolver(s) in hand....yadda yadda yadda and so on and so forth. Not going to be an issue with where it's pointed, JUST LIKE THE rifle IN HAND, its pointed wherever...safely. Obviously hammer(s) down on empty chambers, that little gem is covered elsewhere in the rules.

What's not to like I say DO IT!!!

It works, the gunfighter has NO advantage, the GF loses any advantage because of the lack of transitions while holstering, so it's a wash!!!

I write stages for two clubs and regulariy start with a gun in hand pointing at first target.

It can be rifle,shotgun or pistol(s) Changes things up a bit and takes the wind out of the 10-10-4 are boring crowd.

Around here they are told if 10-10-4 are boring then shoot the stages in under 20 seconds and that will get your excitement level up.

We call a gun in hand pointing at first target start the Arizona Surrender Position.

Pretty sure I robbed that line from Duece.

Stoney" Stage Robber"Creek

the 10-10-4 thing in a different perspective

so if I eat cheerios day after day and find that boring

I should take on the challenge of eating them faster

most shooters will never be capable of 20 second 10-10-4 stages

they may get bored trying?

no biggie

mileage will vary

and yes, I can do 10-10-4 stages with movement in 20 + -

and that can get boring for me sometimes

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Yup, I've seen it before a few times.

I have written stages like that twice---No complaints.

Mustang Gregg

When I first started, back in 95-96 it was real common.

If I remember one club, Panorama Sportsmans had a match director (whose nameI do not recall) that thought drawing from a holster was a safety concern. He did not want to get involved with Fast draw shooting or the like.

Most pistols were staged on a prop, or held pointed down range at a 45 degree angle.

I was also warned that shooting faster that one round a second was also a safety concern -

Not sure if that was given to the other cowboy shooters, of if that particular rule was aimed just at yours truely.

Coffee

Archived