SASS Wire Forum

Sour Dough Starter Question

Just got a call from my S-I-L, asking about making a sour dough starter.

In addition to adding flour, water, yeast and sugar, the recipe called for a pealed

potato. Said the potatio was food for the yeast culture.

Anybody do this? I never heard of it.

And as I recall, true sourdough didn't have yeast added. A somewhat soupy mixture, say half a cup of each flour and water only(NOT chlorinated water!) is left open near a window to allow natural yeast to settle for a day or so... for each of the next few days add another half cup water and flour... after about five days or so it'll smell funky and it's ready to use!

Follow reg'lar bread recipes, but substitute one cup o' starter for each packet of yeast the recipe calls for. Mix the dough and if needed you can store it in the reefer for a few days...

Replace the starter used with another half cup of flour and half cup of water... keep it alive~! :)

Hardpan pretty much has it right, I made some last year. I forgot the exact proportions but all you need is floor and water, cover it with something like cheesecloth in a warm draft free area. You also want to feed it every 12 hours. It should have double in that time frame and look like cake batter. Don't use any of the sourdough the first week just throw it away plus it will not fully mature for a month.

you dunt have to, it will work without it, the sugar speeds it up,,,in olden days they also used herbs.

Actually you are mixing several recipes together, there is a yeast version, there is a potatoe version and even the sugar "friendship" version.

The only TRUE sourdough is made from flour and milk. ONLY, nothing else. I have a starte that I created back in 1980 and is still living. In fact the more you use it the better it is.

If you are interested I can give you a short lesson on how to make a start. (but even the pros say...get a sample from a friend it is very hard to get one to take. I took a couple of failed tries to get one to take. Some times I have some dried on hand I can share, but that takes a while to get it going...

also, check with Delmonico on the CasCity page, he is an expert on starts.

drop a line if you want some info.

curley

HAPPY NEW YEAR BADGER, HARDPAN, CURLEY & MO!

We have a sourdough starter that is over 100 years old - got "the start" many years ago in Alaska. To get it restarted after a long period of disuse, we just add a little flour and sugar and your good to go. Never ceases to amaze me....

BTW, the old timers in Alaska also made a potent alcohol home brew from sourdough starter. Knock you on your Keester!

Archived