SASS Wire Forum

Neck Ties

Subdeacon Joe

Just checked the back of the closet and I still have 20 from when I wore plain clothes. I think I may have worn one since I retired in '06.

Tastes change. Can't say I am sorry about that in the case of ties! :) When I first started teaching school, no one would have even thought of not wearing a tie in the classroom - unthinkable! By the time I retired, teachers were wearing t shirts and jeans to work. :unsure: Always wore a coat and tie to church, but now folks look like they are on their way to plow the south forty! Yeah, things change. :ph34r:

As for military ties - well, I was in the Navy, and the neckerchief was really not much of a problem, other than making sure you didn't drag it through the gravy! ;)

I have no idea about military neckties. They were clip-ons when I was in. Nowadays I hardly ever see any military personnel wearing anything but combat uniforms, with the exception of the Marines, God bless em. At least they know how to represent their branch in public. (no ties with their dress blues though) ;)

The Army wears the necktie with the ASU. During my time in service, it was never a clip on. My wife and I were out doing some shopping yesterday and there were a couple of NCOs at one of the mall for some purpose, I wasn't able to find out why. When I commented that the new ASU looked so much better than the old Greens, she strongly agreed. If I had retired six months or so later than I did, I would have been issued the ASU... I really wish I had been. I think the Army's dress uniform finally holds its own.

Oh, in ALARACT 202/2008. the Army refers to a four in hand tie. http://www.army.mil/asu/alaract.html. I didn't take the time to track down the updated 670-1 and review it. I assume this means the knot, instead of a windsor knot. When I was in, I always tied a half windsor. In civilian life, I will alternate between the half windsor and the four in hand. I never did master the windsor knot.

My wife read this and reminded me that we had an attorney friend show up in court one day with a red "power tie" with almost microscopic dots on it. Didn't fool the judge, He spotted the dots as itsy-bitsy pictures of Mickey Mouse and gave friend lawyer fifteen minutes to get a proper tie and get back to court or face a contempt charge. (Judges don't got no sense of humor.)

A "friend" rescued him in the lobby by selling him a tie for $25.00... in 1980 dollars. :D

That judge would have had me in jail with some of my ties. I've worn all sorts of humorous ties to court. My particular favorite is a Dr. Seuss "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" tie one of my daughters got me. I tend to wear something a little more conservative for actual trial work, though. I have loaned another attorney a tie once, though.

The Army wears the necktie with the ASU. During my time in service, it was never a clip on. My wife and I were out doing some shopping yesterday and there were a couple of NCOs at one of the mall for some

purpose, I wasn't able to find out why. When I commented that the new ASU looked so much better than the old Greens, she strongly agreed. If I had retired six months or so later than I did, I would have been issued the ASU... I really wish I had been. I think the Army's dress uniform finally holds its own.

The ties they uissued us in basic were clipons. I never knew anybody wo actually used anything else. I can' remember the last time I saw any army personnel in ASUs except on TV at ceremonies. The two problems I have with the ASU are

1. There is no unit SSI. You can't tell what unit the soldier is assigned to.

2. A green beret looks horrible with the blues.

But I'd sure rather see people in ASUs at the airport than sloppy camo. MOO

;)

The ties they uissued us in basic were clipons. I never knew anybody wo actually used anything else. I can' remember the last time I saw any army personnel in ASUs except on TV at ceremonies. The two problems I have with the ASU are

1. There is no unit SSI. You can't tell what unit the soldier is assigned to.

2. A green beret looks horrible with the blues.

But I'd sure rather see people in ASUs at the airport than sloppy camo. MOO

;)

I have issues with the ASU, don't get me wrong. I strongly agree with your first point. Also, the Class B looks ridiculous to me, with all the stuff hanging from the shirt.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcouncil.smallwarsjournal.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%253D5902&tbnid=q8KZ6xTYRc1iPM:&docid=4DVn8Ng082CtkM

A couple weeks ago a young soldier attended his grandfather's funeral in BDUs. In my day that would have gotten him an Article 15. Fatigues (BDUs) were not permitted to be worn off base unless the service member lived off base & then he was not allowed to stop at a store or gas station. Fatigues were not worn for duty if you had an office job. Commercial airline, railroad, or bus travel required the service member be in Class A, B, or 1505s uniform if travelling stand by (half fare space availible) or civies. I just read the AF regs & BDUs are still unauthorized for off base wear except for travel to or from off base quarters.

As far as berets are concened I hate em. Why should our service members have to wear some wuss French rag on their heads. Green Berets excepted. The flying saucer or Dress Combination Hat or the (flight) garrison cap looks great with all dess uniforms.

I wear neckties all the time. I have about a dozen Rush Limbaugh ties, and they are very colorful.

I thought the Marines called them "field scarves", and a tie clasp is a "battle pin". Of course all I know is what I've read in "Battle Cry" and W.E.B. Griffin's "The Corps" series. We wore "neckties" in the Air Force...when we wore Class A uniforms. (That was back in the '60's.) We didn't wear tie clasps. The tie was tucked into the shirt between the buttons, which was, IMHO, the most unmilitary look I could imagine. I wore out six sets of fatigues, and, if I could still fit into it, I could get another decade of wear out of it.

Archived