SASS Wire Forum

650 casefeeder question, 38 special

Grizzly Dave

Do you use the spacer for 38 special?

If I read the manual right, you should for 357 but not 38, but today I had it jam twice by getting two cases in the same finger space and wonder if I used the spacer if that would stop it from happening. Kind of a pain to have to stop, empty the hopper, take the plate off to clear the jam.

Other than that my 650 is humming along nicely now that I have the feel for it and am using new brass.

I load 38 special and .357 without the washer. Use large pistol casefeed plate. ummv

I am not sure whether I use the spacer or not. I don't thing so.

The question is, How many cases do you put in the case feeder at a time?

You know I load every day.

I have to stop and get primers every 100 just like everyone else.

So I find I can put three hand fulls of cases in the hopper.

That is using one hand and grabbing as many as I can.

If I try to put more in the case feeder, I too get the jamb cases where two will try to get in on slop on the case feeder plate.

I also run the case feeder on high for all reloading.

Well I do hand feed the drop tube for 38-55 and 45-70.

If you use the spacer washer occasionally a case will jam under the plate with 38s. Have not had it happen since I removed the washer......... Don't know what you mean by 2 in the same finger space ?................... Mink.............

Take the washer out, some can handle more brass than others mine regularly gets 300 at a time without problems. My most common failure with the feeder is spitting a brass out at the top and a jam every blue moon.

I find that cleaning the case feeder hopper helps. Once I get it clean I spray it with silicon spray and wipe that with a clean rag. This reduces the cases from hanging up and stopping the plate from turning.

I checked it last night when I was out loading, no spacer. I found that even putting in only two handfuls, while it wouldn't jam up as before, the motor would stall out. I was on a roll loading so I'd just jump up and give it a nudge every time that happened. Next time I'm out there I'll climb up on the step ladder and see what is going on when it stalls out. Could be that I have a weak motor.

Thanks for the input folks!

Only bad thing about the 650 other than my little issues is that I've run completely thru my stock of bullets, and still have a bunch more cases to stuff!! :D

From what I can tell the only adjustment for the clutch is how tight the screws holding the feeder plate on, is that right? I messed with those a bit with no improvement, but need to play with it when I can see what's going on to tell what it's really doing.

I only use the washer for .45 Colt cases. Like others said, watch the bolt tightness, because of the clutch. I only use the high speed on the feeder, the low speed doesn't like many cases in it. Put 200 or so in it and run it down before adding more.

Archived