SASS Wire Forum

pistol recommendations

Trigger Mike

I need a good pocket pistol for two applications. I was using a diamondback 380 but it seems to misfire the first round a lot. It could be the hard primers on the cheap foreign ammo, but it dents the primer but fails to fire. I need the first round to work every time. My Colt Pony double action has the magazine constantly falling out. I tried the belly band holster but it falls out when I bend over to pick up something so I thought it best to stick with a pocket gun.

I want one for concealed carry in the pocket in town and for when I am in the woods in case I run up on a snake. I already killed a rattler, copper head and coral. When I am on my tractor I often run into them. My mower goes in some of the same places but hate to carry a pistol in a shoulder holster while mowing the lawn.

I carry a Bond derringer in 45/410. only 2 shots, but if you miss, you can throw the gun at them. Its a solid chunck of stainless steel! I use a leather pocket holster. You can get a few more rounds with a 380, but give up a lot of knockdown power. Plus, if you want it for woods carry, load it with 410 for them snakes.

I carry a Kel-Tec PF9 in my pocket (in a pocket holster). Don't notice it's there. We have coyotes appear here on occasion.

If you really want a very light snake gun, a Kel-Tec P32 w/a laser sight weighs about 7 ozs.

I'd send the Colt in for repairs. You should also try the DB with a couple of boxes of quality ammo. The cheap stuff is just for practice!

If it functions consistently with good defensive ammo, keep it.

Archived