SASS Wire Forum

America's Cup...

That's what rich people usually do. And it's a safe bet company funds were used at the expense of stockholders to wage a personal battle unrelated to the companies' business.

I'd disagree there. Larry is pretty rigid about that stuff. Now maybe the other guy . . .

The Cup has always been the playground of the rich - either in wood or in composites.

But the modern multi-hull design technology is not out of the range of the week-end sailor; take a peek at:

http://www.windrider.com/windrider-rave/

This is a foil version of the trimaran that I sail. With this design, on relatively flat water, you can be looking at 25 knots - 5 times the speed of comparable size monohulls. The hull is roto-molded plastic for light weight and low cost. The rig is simple and easy to single-hand.

Modern high-tech design is trickling down into recreational boats, with great results.

LL

Harken came out with a line of carbon-fiber, ball-bearing blocks that were lighter, stronger, lower friction, advanced designed, and easily affordable for the dinghy or club racer. Two years previous they had been the newest hottest megabuck technology aboard an America's Cup yacht.

I like the America's Cup for the advancements they pay for in electronics, sails, hulls, design software, materials, etc. A lot shows up in the "common" sailor's boats.

Plus: 45 knots on above the water!

Loophole, that would look SO cool with the Lafayette Escadrille squadron insignia on the sail...!

Sioux.jpg

I grew up in Newport, RI and it was a huge event when the Ida Lewis Yacht Club sponsored the races. My brother Robert was in the Coast Guard and got spots for my Mom and Dad aboard the Chase for one of the last races held in Newport. It's kind of sad that the races were moved from there to out on the west coast, but that's where the money wanted it.

When the Americas cup was televised from down under, used to stay up watching until two - three am.

Compared to the 12 meter races watching this stuff is boring. IMHO

I grew up in Newport, RI and it was a huge event when the Ida Lewis Yacht Club sponsored the races. My brother Robert was in the Coast Guard and got spots for my Mom and Dad aboard the Chase for one of the last races held in Newport. It's kind of sad that the races were moved from there to out on the west coast, but that's where the money wanted it.

Whoever holds the cup (that is,,,wins it) gets to decide where the races are held. Elison won it last time, therefore he gets to choose where he wishes to defend it.

But I sure hope the go back to mono-hulls soon.

EC

Whoever holds the cup (that is,,,wins it) gets to decide where the races are held. Elison won it last time, therefore he gets to choose where he wishes to defend it.

But I sure hope the go back to mono-hulls soon.

EC

But, did you ever think that you could watch a sail boat and see it visibly accelerate from 4 knots to over 30 knots in less than 100 yds? First time I saw one of these new boats do that, I was hooked.

The technology exists to make the mono-hulls faster, but I doubt they will go back to them. Elison and Oracle Team USA have found the formula to making these cats perform to their true potential, and I would be surprised to see them revert back to a mono-hull.

Tull

But, did you ever think that you could watch a sail boat and see it visibly accelerate from 4 knots to over 30 knots in less than 100 yds? First time I saw one of these new boats do that, I was hooked.

The technology exists to make the mono-hulls faster, but I doubt they will go back to them. Elison and Oracle Team USA have found the formula to making these cats perform to their true potential, and I would be surprised to see them revert back to a mono-hull.

Tull

Yep I saw that I was completely disinterested.

True about the mono's, but look at the number of challengers and defenders this year. Three teams! Not the 20+ that was promised by Ellison to the City. Now City is on the hook for millions in costs. There will be a much bigger push against hosting the races here again. The mayor wants them, but the supervisors (combined city council and county board) are lining up against.

I knew a whole bunch crew members in the last challenges (I WAS a big fan for all the races), and they like the technology, but not the type of racing it provides. But it is a millionaires game. Oooops......now a billionaires game.

EC

Yep I saw that I was completely disinterested.

True about the mono's, but look at the number of challengers and defenders this year. Three teams! Not the 20+ that was promised by Ellison to the City. Now City is on the hook for millions in costs. There will be a much bigger push against hosting the races here again. The mayor wants them, but the supervisors (combined city council and county board) are lining up against.

I knew a whole bunch crew members in the last challenges (I WAS a big fan for all the races), and they like the technology, but not the type of racing it provides. But it is a millionaires game. Oooops......now a billionaires game.

EC

I've been sailing multihulls for almost 40 years. There has always been a certain amount of prejudice, or at least an aloof, dismissive attitude, on the part of certain monohullers (or "slow boaters", as they are often known among us) toward cats and tris. The established, big money yacht clubs looked down on multis for years, and excluded them from membership or participation; the major boat builders often treated them as toys; and the leading sailing mags gave them second-class status. Today, much of the sailing world is becoming populated with racing and cruising multis of various configurations - everything from car-toppable cats to circumnavigating tris. They are fast, much faster than their single hulled counterparts; they are flat-sailing, making them particularly well suited for charter cruising and family use; they are typically shallow draft, allowing those of us without deep-water docks to reach the same sailing waters; and they can often be built for less money overall.

I view this continuing friction as a variation on the divisions that arise from time to time among different types of shooters; we are all sailors; we all have a common body of concerns; we all enjoy time on the water; who are we to belittle another's choice of vessel? There's room for us all.

Multihull sailors have patiently watched the Cup, despite its history of near-total exclusion of our favorite craft; now it's our turn to revel in the boat designs, and their turn to watch (or even better, give it a try). Suck it up and enjoy the sport.

LL

Wait'll they develop the wind powered caterpillar drive. :lol::rolleyes:

Archived