SASS Wire Forum

Sexual assault in the military

Reading the news today and listening to the talking heads how come everyone is suprised that when you put young men and young women together is confined, emotional situations that sexual assaults occur? I think when the services kept men and women more segregated that fewer assaults occurred.

I don't care how confined you are.There should never be a sexual assault on a lady.Men that do that are not much of a man.

Put young men and women together in "confined, emotional situations" and sexual attraction will happen and relationships will develop. It has been that way since before Molly Pitcher joined a cannon crew at the Battle of Monmouth, and the military has no problem supporting couples who met during their service to our country.

Sexual assault is never acceptable under any circumstances, whether the victim is a fellow soldier or a civilian. Period. End of Story.

Attraction is one thing. Sexual assault is quite another, Especially in the Academies where personal responsinility and honor is stressed! :angry: And lest we violate wire guidelines that's all I'll say on it.

Any sexual assault, hang em no matter which sex it is :angry:

Sexual assaults, and crime in general< happen in any community. Right or wrong, that just the way it is. These types of crimes have been happening in the military community for time in memorial. What is different today? Simple, the Wizard Obama is in trouble, and he needs a smoke screen so people quit looking behind the curtain.

Hey, yeah! Is it really just a coincidence that sexual assault complaints are increasing in the military, just when Obama is Commander-in Chief? I don't think so! Sounds like a Liberal conspiracy to me.

It is a much more complex issue than blaming it on the current administration.

I've set down to write this a few times and just shake my head. I'm old school, I try to be a gentleman, I was a Chief Petty Officer for 8 yrs, and a Chief Warrant Officer for 3 yrs. I was always glad that I did not get assigned to an co-ed ship. It would be a supervisors nightmare.

To the subject, being old school it seems straight forward. If there is a complaint it should be investigated in a timely manner and sent up the chain of command with disciplinary recommendations.

I'm not sure that I fully agree with the Congress that an outsider should be doing the investigation. Of course, if the system is broke that may be one way to get back on track. Holding Commanders responsible would be another.

As UB noted, concentual is one thing, assault is another.

Perhaps what they need is to get rid of alot of the PC that is going around and send in some hard core "Old Timers" to set things as they should be.

Enough venting,

Barry Sloe

I never thought I would ever say this, but as a 20 year retired officer, I think the Chain of Command is the problem. They don't want to deal with many problems in their commands regardless of the issues. I have seen many things like this swept under the rug. Power corrupts in many cases and those that abuse their power are the most dangerous. Assaults should be dealt with quickly and harshly, no easy retirements or benefits maintained. Whistle blowers and victims should be protected at all costs from retaliation. Hiding these issues serve no good. Gut the military if necessary. As they say in the military, "Bad news doesn't get better with age."

Archived