SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 550 issue.

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

My Dillon 550 is either spitting live primers into the atmosphere between the primer tube and shell plate or they are somehow falling off the primer cup and dropping down in between the primer cup and tube blocking the sliding from going all the way back and picking up another primer. The slide is clean,the Primer cup and spring seem fine and the plastic tip on the end of the primer tube is new and working s it should . I am loading.45 schofield so it's large primers. It happended 5 out of a hundred last night. Got a busy signal from Dillon all day. Just wondering if any have experienced the same thing and if you have a solution.

Mine does it maybe twice out of 100. I thought it was just me. I do know it only happens when I load 45's. It never does it with me 38's. I will now be looking at my primer tube.

Mine will toss out primers when the seating arm and primer feed tube housing get out of adjustment. Loosen the set screw slightly on the primer ram arm, lower the shell plate over the arm and cup, and retighten. Then reset the aluminum housing that holds the feed tube, too. Just loosen the two screws at the bottom of the housing, and set it so the primer arm and cup pick the primer up cleanly from the housing and feed tube.

Make sure you have the primer arm in vertically, too. It's easy to have it get cocked slightly to one side and then it won't catch the primer 100% of the time.

Good luck, GJ

The thigermajiger on the whatchamacallet is out of adjustment...

happy Trails

CPBC

Yeah, get your dingus adjusted and straight and it oughtta work.

When I have a similar issue I take the primer apparatus off the machine and clean all the surfaces where parts slide back and forth, then reassemble the whole shebang. That seems to work for me. I also use some compressed air from a can and spray off the dust buildup every time I add another tube of primers.

Happy reloading,

Kid Kneestone

My Dillon 550 is either spitting live primers into the atmosphere between the primer tube and shell plate or they are somehow falling off the primer cup and dropping down in between the primer cup and tube blocking the sliding from going all the way back and picking up another primer. The slide is clean,the Primer cup and spring seem fine and the plastic tip on the end of the primer tube is new and working s it should . I am loading.45 schofield so it's large primers. It happended 5 out of a hundred last night. Got a busy signal from Dillon all day. Just wondering if any have experienced the same thing and if you have a solution.

I would try everything these guys are saying first but if your 550 is one of the first ones like mine I would call Dillon. The reason is I did all these things mentioned and it still gave me trouble. I agree most of the time it just needs to be readjusted. Anyways I was at a point of sending the whole machine to Dillon to have rebuilt but the guy at Dillon mailed me a long plastic shim for the slide area.It seems to be working ok since then. I do not know if the slide bar gets worn or warped in areas but the plastic shim seems to be working for now.Good luck.

Or you can take the advise of the LG above or GG below.

Heeee Haaaa .. Patients Grasshopper.. Check the set-screw on the primercup.. you may have it to tight.. :o The cup may be strikeing the side of the primer feeder,flipping it out of the cup .. :unsure: Loosen it a bit and I'll bet it will work better.. :ph34r:

Heeee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

This would happen to me also. I found that if I removed the bar on the priming arm and cleaned it real good then put some dry lubricant on it it would quit doing what you describe for at least three to four thousand rounds.

Call me if you need more help. I can stop by on the way home from work.

KQ

Thanks for the replies guys. Got it fixed last night before going to bed. The alignment needed some tweaking. Got a few hundred schofield to load and the 550 and me are parting ways, can't stand this machine.

Glad you conquered it, Deuce.

Well, primer alignment and lack of a 5th hole in the tool head are the weaknesses of a 550. A 650 takes care of both of those, but of course it's weakness is to blow up a primer tube if things get dirty or you run it too hard, too.

But, both are pretty good machines - better than the rest, IMHO.

Good luck, GJ

Glad you conquered it, Deuce.

Well, primer alignment and lack of a 5th hole in the tool head are the weaknesses of a 550. A 650 takes care of both of those, but of course it's weakness is to blow up a primer tube if things get dirty or you run it too hard, too.

But, both are pretty good machines - better than the rest, IMHO.

Good luck, GJ

Yes, love my 650 and probably gonna end up with another on the bench here shortly.

Archived