SASS Wire Forum

What's most accurate 45 cal muzzleloading rifle?

F. Greysmoke ,#12093

Pedersoli Gibbs Rifle is a real corker. 45 grains of 3f behind a .010 patch and .440 ball should turn in excellent scores if you do your part. Also avail. as a .40. But really look at the 500+ grain bullets for to accracy.

Back in the day, Schutzen rifles were the cream of the crop for BP target work. Perhaps look for a fine old hand built schutzen?

Good luck, GJ

Well, that makes a big difference.

"Most accurate" and "very low end price" don't often go together. An older lightly used 45 caliber Thompson/Center (which usually has a very good quality barrel right from the factory) with a round ball twist rate (slow, like 1 in 48") sounds like something that you could scour the local gun shops used racks, or even pawn shops for. Their old Hawkens are usually pretty good, but a new one runs $700 or so. In bigger towns, you can luck into something nice in the newspaper classifieds occasionally, if your town still carries firearm ads.

Good luck, with your hunt! GJ

I'm assuming you're talking about shooting a patched round ball..It really has more to do with the type of barrel used than any particular make..Ya can't go wrong with barrels made by Rice, Getz, or Green River..With a round ball you're better off with a barrel that has something like a 1/66 twist..

Another thing is keeping the barrel clean..This holds true of any gun of course, but for blackpowder in particular..When shooting a match you should swab the barrel with several clean patches between every shot, it not only helps with accuracy but makes seating the ball much easier! ;)

When I tried my .54 caliber flintlock with a swamped Rice barrel out for accuracy a few weeks ago, I kept five shots in about a three inch group at around 30 yards..And I think I can probably do better when I get used to the rifle..

Only by shooting will you know what the rifle likes. I once fired my 50 custom 36 times without wiping. The bore is naturally seasoned and spit patches only. The last round loaded just as easy as the first. Keep the fouling soft and you can keep going.

Find you a nice TC hawken with a slick barrel and start shooting!

Well, remember now, you have to the 23rd of next month to find one. This month's match has been cancelled. In the meantime, I would suggest you look into shooting a 570 RB with 0.015 or 0.020 patch and 60 grains of 2fg or 3fg in that Zoli Zouave you have. It may surprise you some with how it shoots with a roundball. Just a thought and the cost is WAY less than a new rifle altogether.

At one time DGW carried a Civil War snipers rifle that was a copy of a British rifle made for the Confederacy. I think the bore was hex and it used a special hex bullet also. Supposedly was used for unreal distance kill shot claims???

Only by shooting will you know what the rifle likes. I once fired my 50 custom 36 times without wiping. The bore is naturally seasoned and spit patches only. The last round loaded just as easy as the first. Keep the fouling soft and you can keep going.

Find you a nice TC hawken with a slick barrel and start shooting!

Sam has hit the nail square here. Giving that, an inexpensive rifle probably will not give you dime size groups at 50 or 100 yards, but it is possible, depending on the barrel.

If you find a $200.00 muzzleloader, I suggest that you spend a lot of time at the range with a lot of patches and a powder measure.

Archived