SASS Wire Forum

Founders Ranch Zoning Change

Founders Ranch is requesting a zoning change to allow public shooting and not just SASS events and sporting clays. Here is a video by a local TV station. The antis get most of the coverage. I'm for the change as it will greatly increase practise opportunities for local CAS shooters.

(While this is a local, ABQ issue there are those on the Wire that may have an interest.)

why wood SASS say anything to us

we would tear them up on the wire

the (wire) the very free service that they provide for our entertainment / enlightenment

we (sass / cas shooters) cant seem to stand together as a group

not even when it comes to founders ranch

“well they –cudda-shudda-bla-bla-crap needs to end”

what if:

if is true, that the Ranch seeks a zoneing change, to further the ideal of: Shooting legally

than why not consider this

what if:

for the sake of solidarity

all CAS, legal gun owners stood together

what if

for the sake of solidarity

all SASS shooters (active 30,000+-)

sent to the zoning board

reasons to allow the change at Founders Ranch

NO-emails, that can go to spam, or simply be deleated

But: real honest to God letters, in stamped envelops

Or even post cards, stamped and delivered

My 35+ years in construction and dealing with zoning laws

Has me thinking, it would work

sassmaddmike@yahoo.com

if you disagree, send me an email

what if we wasted 20 minutes and a stamp

cuz, shucks it might pass anyway

they will love their decision even more, if we did it

How about because if SASS wants my support then they should clearly state what the issue might be and ask for it along with a means to do just what you suggest? Or is that too damn reasonable?

FWIW, I think SASS HQ did say something about this a while back when it first started out. Can't remember if I saw in in an email, Facebook, or maybe even here on the wire.

Being that local government moves at the speed of molasses in January in Minnesota, the issue is just now reaching the critical stage.

I don't normally comment on subjects such as this and I am as uninformed as most of you on the matter. This is the first I have heard of the subject. My instincts tell me that SASS being a business and having a BOD and this being a business matter and as such in the eyes of the BOD of SASS they see it as of no concern to the members. Least some of you forget that we as members do not have a VOTE where business is concerned.

I am not taking any side of this please understand that because I don't have a dog in this fight. I can't travel and I probably won't ever see Founders Ranch but I wouldn't get my feelings hurt if the powers to be didn't ask for my support in this matter.

I am however confused as to why they haven't solicited local testimonials.(maybe they already have)Perhaps someone will tell us. Maybe!

CC

Cherokee, they have been leading the good fight and have encouraged the "locals" to lend support! As I am 5 hours south, I sent a letter to the county in support of the ranch!

They have (asked for our help), and MANY of us SASS locals have responded. We have written letters of support (including mine). We've signed petitions. Several have testified at previous zoning hearings, and will do so again on Wednesday next week (Jan 9th). It is not too late (yet) if you wanted to get a first class letter that describes the importance of Founders Ranch and it's events to you, to the

Torrance County Planning and Zoning Department, PO BOX 48, 205 9th Street, Estancia, NM 87016

or to the

SASS Headquarters, 215 Cowboy Way, Edgewood, NM 87015.

But you would have to do it quick.

And if you cannot attend or even write, at least you should realize that Misty Moonshine, and members of the Wild Bunch, and SASS office staff are working this very hard and very efficiently.

This "rezoning" effort in general would increase the scope of special use permits beyond what SASS can do with Cowboy Shoots (from EOT down to monthly matches), and generate more revenue and (perhaps more importantly) more community enjoyment and utilization of Founders Ranch property.

It is an effort we local shooters are supporting.

Good luck, GJ

I don't normally comment on subjects such as this and I am as uninformed as most of you on the matter. This is the first I have heard of the subject. My instincts tell me that SASS being a business and having a BOD and this being a business matter and as such in the eyes of the BOD of SASS they see it as of no concern to the members. Least some of you forget that we as members do not have a VOTE where business is concerned.

I am not taking any side of this please understand that because I don't have a dog in this fight. I can't travel and I probably won't ever see Founders Ranch but I wouldn't get my feelings hurt if the powers to be didn't ask for my support in this matter.

I am however confused as to why they haven't solicited local testimonials.(maybe they already have)Perhaps someone will tell us. Maybe!

CC

They are soliciting local testimony. I got my latest e-mail from Misty yesterday. This matter is very much for the SASS HQ organization with the support of the local shooting community. I posted this thread simply because any news coverage of FR is of interest to many SASS members. Just seeing footage of the ranch covered with light snow might interest some who have shot EoT in the dust of June. BTW in the video I noticed pictures of shotgun shells laying on the ground. I think the reporter was trying to give the impression that the Bubbas who shot up the neighbors NO TRESSPASSING signs were the same people who use the Ranch's sporting clays operation.

I suspect the Wild Bunch has not asked for widespread support for this from "the masses" is that it does not affect most of us. I don't own SASS or any part of Founder's Ranch. If this move is approved and generates revenue and does not interfere with regularly scheduled SASS events then there is no issue. More power to them.

SASS is a shooting entity

They should support other shooting styles, beyond CAS

Oh, guess what ?

They do !

By changing the zoning, they can support and encourage other venues

That would also mean more revenues to the local area, sales tax &

Support workers employed by

Hotels

Restaurants

Retail stores

Fueling locations

etc