SASS Wire Forum

Jerky

Noz

I made a batch of vbeef jerky a couple of days ago.

I couldn't find my recipe so I winged it.

Yep-I missed it. It's edible but just.

Anybody got a good jerky seasoning recipe?

I don't want it to be overly hot but some spice is desired.

Here Is One That I Have:

4 lbs beef Round Steak or 4 lbs Round Roast. Sliced 3/8th Inch Thick.

2 teaspoons black pepper

2 teaspoons chili powder

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, more if you like it hot

2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon liquid smoke

1/4 cup soy sauce or 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce

1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup Frank's red hot sauce

1/2 Bottle Of Good Beer,Other Half Goes in Cook!!

I Generally Soak Overnight Then in To Dehydrator.

Here Is One That I Have:

2 teaspoons black pepper

2 teaspoons chili powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon liquid smoke

Looks good except for the liquid smoke. Make me puke way over there. Some reason I can't handle it.

Anybody else?

I normally just use a mix of coarse black pepper, salt, and garlic. Nothing fancy. That way you get the taste of the meat, rather than having it masked with teriyaki, brown sugar, etc.

However, that being said, here's a recipe my wife, daughter, and daughters-in-law prefer. All my sons and son-in-law prefer the above.

For two pounds of meat, mix:

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

3 Tbls brown sugar

¼ cup Worchestershire sauce

¼ cup Tumari sauce

1/8 tsp chopped chives

Soak meat in marinade in refrigerator for 6-12 hours.

Just from my experience, the ladies prefer the sweetened version while the guys prefer the "meat-taste" version. Fair warning, though. Both types of jerky have a very high vapor pressure around our place. That is, they evaporate rapidly. :)

Here Is One That I Have:

2 teaspoons black pepper

2 teaspoons chili powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon liquid smoke

Sounds good....

From THIS...I made THIS

I use brisket now instead of the top round...

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>

I always wing it but heres whats marinating now:

4 lbs deer meat

2 tsp black pepper

2 tsp red pepper

2 tsp salt

1 tsp season all

2 tsp garlic powder

2 tsp onion powder

1 tsp chile powder

1 tsp cumin

1 tbsp of soy sauce (I usually put Worcestershire in but my grandson likes the soy)

Sometimes I use more salt but it gets eaten so fast theres no point.

Gonna get smoked using pecan wood.

I sure wish I had replaced my smoker when it rusted out a few years ago. :(

I sure wish I had replaced my smoker when it rusted out a few years ago. :(/>

Dang Bob...I didn't know you were that bad off! :lol: Man if you haven't a smoker you..you..you...well...you just ain't living right!! :lol:

You're an ole Floridian so heres a little tale. Buddy of mine from Brady, TX was the lab director at the Belle Glade Experiment Station. He'd go home and win the cabrito smoking contests by secretly hauling guava wood to use in his smoker. I never used it but what he cooked was great!

Dang Bob...I didn't know you were that bad off! :lol:/> Man if you haven't a smoker you..you..you...well...you just ain't living right!! :lol:/>

You're an ole Floridian so heres a little tale. Buddy of mine from Brady, TX was the lab director at the Belle Glade Experiment Station. He'd go home and win the cabrito smoking contests by secretly hauling guava wood to use in his smoker. I never used it but what he cooked was great!

I had a Guava tree outside my office but the Chief probably woulda frowned on taking a chainsaw to it. :lol:

Simple is good. I know of some commercial jerky producers who simply marinate beef strips in soy sauce or teriyaki sauce for a few hours, then heat and dry the meat. They make lots of money off their products.

When making jerky at home, make sure you get the meat up to a high enough temperature to kill Salmonella, or else you might not enjoy the results. The magic number to kill the bad bacteria is 165 degrees F. If jerky dries out too much before reaching a peak temperature, the bacteria can form heat resistant spores. Not good. Thin strips heat up easier than thick strips.

More than you ever wanted to know about making jerky:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/pdf/compliance_guideline_jerky.pdf

I've made it for decades with a very simple recipe.....CHEAP soy sauce and black pepper (preferably a bit courser than normal, but too course it will fall off). I usually put it in a ziplock and add a bit of water or it can get too salty if you leave it too long. I use,,,,say, 1/4 water, enough to mush all the air out and keep the meat submerged. Soak 6-8 hours , lay out on paper towels to absorb excess liquid, pepper, and into the dehydrator. I don't like Kikomann or fermented soy on jerky, makes it taste soured. The soy sauce gives it a smoky/salty flavor. It has a very short life expectancy! I made a batch onct and didn't even get any! :angry:/> Wife, "kids" and grandkids ate the whole batch (or toted it off) while I was at work one day!

There's about 1,000,010 recipes. Personally most of them just cover up the taste of the meat to me. I've experimented, always came back to this. I like to use eye of round roast for lack of marbling (fat tastes funky, remove all you can) but it's gotten $$$$$ :angry:

Good luck!

JHC

I've made it for decades with a very simple recipe.....CHEAP soy sauce and black pepper (preferably a bit courser than normal, but too course it will fall off). I usually put it in a ziplock and add a bit of water or it can get too salty if you leave it too long. I use,,,,say, 1/4 water, enough to mush all the air out and keep the meat submerged. Soak 6-8 hours , lay out on paper towels to absorb excess liquid, pepper, and into the dehydrator. I don't like Kikomann or fermented soy on jerky, makes it taste soured. The soy sauce gives it a smoky/salty flavor. It has a very short life expectancy! I made a batch onct and didn't even get any! :angry:/> Wife, "kids" and grandkids ate the whole batch (or toted it off) while I was at work one day!

There's about 1,000,010 recipes. Personally most of them just cover up the taste of the meat to me. I've experimented, always came back to this.

Good luck!

JHC

My jerky gets snatched up by my wife and daughter. Brought a lb to Cali for the family visit. Gone in a couple hours LOL!

GG

Archived