SASS Wire Forum

Winchester Value

Anyone have any ideas on what a Winchester 94 in .45LC would be worth. It is in superb shape no marks or dings on it. It has checkering and pistol grip. :unsure:

Anyone have any ideas on what a Winchester 94 in .45LC would be worth. It is in superb shape no marks or dings on it. It has checkering and pistol grip. :unsure:/>

I don't know whut the dullar value of it would be.

But just a word of warning.

The Winchester 94 action was designed for long cartridges ( .38-55 - .30-30 - etc. ) and is generally not considered to feed reliably with pistol caliber cartridges ( ie. .45 Colt - etc. ).

The toggle-action Winchesters (1860, 1866 and 1873) are certainly much faster and easier to slicken than the 1894, but we have a local cowboy who shoots a 1894 Trapper in .45 who can shuck 10 Schofields through an unaltered action pretty quick and with no failures to feed.

The real problem with shooting the pistol-length cartridges in the 1894 action is that a round can go under the carrier and lead to a complete teardown.

I have seen $450-$650 on these guns in good condition.

I tried to sell one for a friend at the Montana state match last year. Brand new in the box - I put it on my table for $450. No interest AT ALL. He finally sold it for $375 to someone he worked with.

I am aware of what the limitations are on the 94 concerning the short length of the .45LC in the Winchester. I have shot this one for about 15 years at SASS shoots. Went to the 73 many years ago. Just wondering what the rifle might sell for as I don't use it much anymore except to get it out and have a go with it for old time sake. Never had even one problem with it. It performed flawlessly every time I worked the action, whether it be smokeless or Black. Just wanted a possible value on it not a lesson on what I should be shooting. (said with no bad feelings toward anyone). :rolleyes:

I am aware of what the limitations are on the 94 concerning the short length of the .45LC in the Winchester. I have shot this one for about 15 years at SASS shoots. Went to the 73 many years ago. Just wondering what the rifle might sell for as I don't use it much anymore except to get it out and have a go with it for old time sake. Never had even one problem with it. It performed flawlessly every time I worked the action, whether it be smokeless or Black. Just wanted a possible value on it not a lesson on what I should be shooting. (said with no bad feelings toward anyone). :rolleyes:/>

The "word of warning" wus with the though that ya might be lookin' to buy one. I've known of folks concerned about the cost of '66s - '73s and looking at '94s as being more affordable.

Yer lucky if ya can get 500 smackers for that. A friend of mine had one and since he died his wife has been trying to sell of some of his stuff. I told her to ask 600-700 for the Winny in .45. They just don't sell very well.

:) Rye

real value 700 to 750 in excellent condition

+1 That is a fair value - just not among the cowboy crowd. Outside of SASS, many folks appreciate the model 94 for it's classic design, and strength, which makes for a rather nice brush gun.

I have a 94AE Legacy in .44mag and love it to death. Not the fastest gun but neither am I It makes a GREAT hunting rifle. The trigger is a little heavy but the action is smooth (but long). $700.00 sounds about right as an asking price.

Wolfgang..I thought that is what you were doing,hope I didn't come off too strong. After reading my post I realized that It looked like I might be the one doing the buying. It was my first SASS rifle back in '96' and it served me well. Never failed me. Just don't seem to shoot it anymore so thought I would let someone have it(for the right price ;) ). Also have a nice Henry Goldenboy in .22LR for sale for the right price but here again I need to find out what they are going for. Haven't put a box of shells through it since I bought it and decided to let it go. Try to buy something that I will shoot more often. thanks to all who have replied. :rolleyes:

Archived