SASS Wire Forum

Black rifles

Utah Bob #35998

Was thinking about the M400 for myself..should feel just like an AR since it's based off that platform.

I am actually looking to invest in the Sig 556 eventually.

Curious to see the responses.

GG

I dont know .

But I like the Ruger SR556 :FlagAm:

UB, I bought the S&W M&P 15 Sport several months ago and have ben very pleased with it. Its also about $400-$500 less expensive and the only thing you give up is the dust cover and charging handle.

S&W M&P 15 Sport

I paid $600 + tax for mine.

Hmmm...not to hijack UB, but two of you have expressed interest in the Ruger 556 and the Sig 556 - both piston designs. I've been looking too, and reading a bit. As I understand it, the piston's claim to superiority is the cleaner operation; but the direct impingement folks say dirt matters not if the rifle is kept "wet", and that the piston design imposes forces on the Stoner configuration that were not originally intended.

For somebody with absolutely NO AR experience, does any of this really matter? Is one "better", or is this another distinction without a difference in real-world use?

LL

Hmmm...not to hijack UB, but two of you have expressed interest in the Ruger 556 and the Sig 556 - both piston designs. I've been looking too, and reading a bit. As I understand it, the piston's claim to superiority is the cleaner operation; but the direct impingement folks say dirt matters not if the rifle is kept "wet", and that the piston design imposes forces on the Stoner configuration that were not originally intended.

For somebody with absolutely NO AR experience, does any of this really matter? Is one "better", or is this another distinction without a difference in real-world use?

LL

Direct impingment AR's have fewer moving parts (simpler is better, possibly more accurate). Piston AR's are easier to clean (carbon build-up on bolt tail and carrier) at the expense of a more complicated system using proprietary parts. As far as reliability goes, for the range commando firing a semi-auto gun, there should be no difference. For someone doing full auto mag dumps in extreme environments, a piston gun might be advantageous. I'm sticking with DI; and I run my AR's very wet.

Here are a couple other companies a freind told me about....He said stay away from Olympic Arms AR's...will have to investigate why...but...

https://danieldefense.com/rifles/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v7.html

http://www.lewismachine.net/

http://www.americanspiritarms.com/rifles-and-carbines/asa-m4a2-ar-15-rifle-m4-carbine/

http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_23_35&products_id=170

and even more :wacko:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many choices. I guess the ONE thing I do like about the AR is how many part sthere are for it!!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Not so far, UB...let me see if I can get us back on track after I steered to port....

Has anyone shot a Sig M400?

LL

Wasn't that question already asked? ;):lol:

UB - although we like to get our pards opinions ya might want to steer over to the AR forums for a faster (and probabaly more complete) answer....

Wasn't that question already asked? ;):lol:

UB - although we like to get our pards opinions ya might want to steer over to the AR forums for a faster (and probabaly more complete) answer....

I would prefer getting an answer from someone I trust here rather than the denizens of those other boards. I find them occasionally useful for prices and such but you never know who's being honest, who's a shill and who's just a nutcase.

UB,

I own a few Rock Rivers. I have shot about 100 rounds through a M400 at the gun range (a guy had one and I shot his and he shot mine, you know how that works).

The one he had was set up for CQB with a 1-4 Leupold on it. From a front rest/rear bag I was shooting into about 2" at 100 yds with M855 (62 gr ball) LC surplus ammo. That is as good as that ammo can do.

I tried 20 rounds of my handloads shooting 69 gr SMK's over CFE223 in LC brass. This is a .25 MOA round in my 20" heavy barrel. I was getting just under 1" and that recticle was not helping at all. I suspect with a finer recticle and a bit more magnification I could have cut that in half.

Not my rifle so no clue what it was like inside for fit and finish. I would buy one.

Hope that helps.

I would prefer getting an answer from someone I trust here rather than the denizens of those other boards. I find them occasionally useful for prices and such but you never know who's being honest, who's a shill and who's just a nutcase.

Well - that's good and dandy with honorability, but there are excellent & credible informational sources from folks who LIVE AR's daily beyond us 'cowboy' folks in said AR forums. It's usually pretty easy to detect the BS posts...

Besides - shills and nutcases will be found in EVERY forum - including this one ;)

G (the shill)G ~ :FlagAm:

I saw a fellow once shoot the sig 556 and we traded ammo as it would not fine his wolf and other cheap brands. I was shooting federal and other domestic brands and my Smith & Wesson could feed his cheap brands. first time I ever saw a sig not work right. like the idea of the sig400 and wondered if it was worth the price.

s...

Besides - shills and nutcases will be found in EVERY forum - including this one ;)

G (the shill)G ~ :FlagAm:

Yeah but I KNOW the ones here. :lol:

Here are a couple other companies a freind told me about....He said stay away from Olympic Arms AR's...will have to investigate why...but...

https://danieldefense.com/rifles/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v7.html

http://www.lewismachine.net/

http://www.americanspiritarms.com/rifles-and-carbines/asa-m4a2-ar-15-rifle-m4-carbine/

http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_23_35&products_id=170

and even more :wacko:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many choices. I guess the ONE thing I do like about the AR is how many part sthere are for it!!

My AR is an Olympic, have had no complaints. It did have a couple of bugs when I bought it at a gun show (I THINK it was a kit gun someone didn't assemble very well). Barrel nut was loose, and it doubled. Tightened up the nut and replaced the trigger/sear and have had no more trouble. Like the dark black finish. Of course I bought mine 20 years ago at a time AR's were dang hard to find and even harder to afford. Things may have changed since.

My 2 cents (apology to UB for taking off on a tangent)

JHC

Thanks guys. I am aware of most of the AR platforms commercially available and have used a number of them. I am just curious about the Sig as I have not seen or fired one..

My AR is an Olympic, have had no complaints. It did have a couple of bugs when I bought it at a gun show (I THINK it was a kit gun someone didn't assemble very well). Barrel nut was loose, and it doubled. Tightened up the nut and replaced the trigger/sear and have had no more trouble. Like the dark black finish. Of course I bought mine 20 years ago at a time AR's were dang hard to find and even harder to afford. Things may have changed since.

My 2 cents (apology to UB for taking off on a tangent)

JHC

Thanks for the input Captain ;)

Archived