SASS Wire Forum

CCW weapon adjustment?

Trigger Mike

\\

On another note, out of curiosity, I called three gun shops and asked about AR's to find that "AR's" were the hot item....flying off the shelf.

And so it starts.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An AR, the perfect concealed carry weapon....if you're Paul Bunyon. :unsure:

I carried a 1911 for years, but they're hard to conceal in the summer and my back hurts. Nowadays as I'm pushing 50 to close for comfort a nice little S&W .38 snubbie fits my needs nicely, though I have been drooling over the Ruger LCR.

And so it starts.

I like my Mini-14, but if I could afford one right now, I would probably pick one up.

My neigbor asked me a while back why I shoot outdated guns instead of nice black rifles and glocks like him. So I 'suggested' that I could get off ten rounds quicker and more accurately out of my '73 than he could out of his fancy dancy AR with red dot blah blah. No contest, mine was empty on the table with ten rounds on target before he put his down empty with 4 rounds on the target. I don't much care for ARs, nor for the .223, I would much rather have an M1 in 30.06 or .308.

I don't much care for ARs, nor for the .223, I would much rather have an M1 in 30.06 or .308.

Capt., if you're talking about the so-called US Navy conversion M1 Garands in .308, please rethink your options. I just saw something on the DCM-Anniston website about the dangers of those guns.

.308 Warning

That's interesting Bama! I should have been more precise, a M1A in .308 would be nice, I had a SOCOM, and it was a nice gun but unfortunately I let it go to help get the funds for cowboy shooting. I would love to have a Garand, but in 30.06 of course. I had a chance to get a very minty one years ago, but didn't move quickly enough. :angry:

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

What's the color of the boathouse at Hereford? :lol:

movie line

ts

My neigbor asked me a while back why I shoot outdated guns instead of nice black rifles and glocks like him. So I 'suggested' that I could get off ten rounds quicker and more accurately out of my '73 than he could out of his fancy dancy AR with red dot blah blah. No contest, mine was empty on the table with ten rounds on target before he put his down empty with 4 rounds on the target. I don't much care for ARs, nor for the .223, I would much rather have an M1 in 30.06 or .308.

I am with you on that one, Captain Bill.

Capt., if you're talking about the so-called US Navy conversion M1 Garands in .308, please rethink your options. I just saw something on the DCM-Anniston website about the dangers of those guns.

.308 Warning

I guess I am a purist. Mine is in 30-06. Sergeant Buxton would kick my a$$ up between my ears if I had anything other. :lol: And I have to say, she is a beauty. :)

"How the hell would I know?"

ts

I have never been ambushed by a cup of coffee however.

Cup of whiskey..maybe. :lol:

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I have never been ambushed by a cup of coffee however.

Cup of whiskey..maybe. :lol:

ts

"You ever kill anybody ?"

"I hurt somebody's feelings once."

ts

Great movie. :D

Not to argue, just wondering. How close is a "typical" ccw gunfight? When I took my original ccw class and all renewals since, my instructors (4 different men) all said that if you are not really close, you should be looking for a way out of a gunfight. Makes me think that if the threat isn't really close, I'd be using a cell phone or my feet to cure the situation. I've never pulled mine, hope I never have to, and I have carried an 8 shot .22mag revolver before. I think that at up to 15' I could hit a 6" target with the .22mag at least a few times, even double action. It has a laser also, which I practice with and without. With the laser on, I find myself looking at the target much more and the gun less. What if a guy on the front row had a .22 mag and could get a few good shots in before 60+ people were engaged? Maybe less would be hurt. I still haven't heard how long this lasted. My much more typical carry gun is a Kahr pm9, 8+1 DA. Second would be Gov't S&W 1911 .45acp.

Cash

Not to argue, just wondering. How close is a "typical" ccw gunfight? When I took my original ccw class and all renewals since, my instructors (4 different men) all said that if you are not really close, you should be looking for a way out of a gunfight. Makes me think that if the threat isn't really close, I'd be using a cell phone or my feet to cure the situation. I've never pulled mine, hope I never have to, and I have carried an 8 shot .22mag revolver before. I think that at up to 15' I could hit a 6" target with the .22mag at least a few times, even double action. It has a laser also, which I practice with and without. With the laser on, I find myself looking at the target much more and the gun less. What if a guy on the front row had a .22 mag and could get a few good shots in before 60+ people were engaged? Maybe less would be hurt. I still haven't heard how long this lasted. My much more typical carry gun is a Kahr pm9, 8+1 DA. Second would be Gov't S&W 1911 .45acp.

Cash

I'm by no means an expert, but I believe the typical distances have been reported to be between ten and twenty feet for gunfights, not sure about CCW gunfights.

At ten feet, 8 rounds from a .22mag has to be some deterent. Don't get me wrong, I prefer large caliber, but a .22mag may have made a huge difference in body count/injuries.

Cash

The story of Les Moore:

Here lies Les Moore

Shot four times with a forty-four

No Les, no more

Pistol gunfights are very up close affairs, almost always within a few feet.

Could somebody in the front row of the theater stood up and engaged with a 22 mag?

Sure. Assuming he wasn't disoriented by the tear gas, gunfire, and screams.

Is it likely? In my opinion no, unless the person had undergone considerable tactical training under stress.

Pistol gunfights are very up close affairs, almost always within a few feet.

Could somebody in the front row of the theater stood up and engaged with a 22 mag?

Sure. Assuming he wasn't disoriented by the tear gas, gunfire, and screams.

Is it likely? In my opinion no, unless the person had undergone considerable tactical training under stress.

Well put.

The question isn't about whether a particular gun, when fired under range conditions,

will be potentially capable of killing or at least stopping a bad guy.

The question needs to be more focused on does the person using a handgun in defense

have the training and skills to handle the confusion and stress of sudden conflict,

as well as powerful enough weapons to stop the attack? Accurately hitting a bad guy

in a movie theater from 75 feet with tear gas, shouting, panicked crowds, gun fire and

chaos around you does not contribute to you hitting someone with an effective shot if

you're using a 3 inch barreled .22 pistol.

You might well be better situated to seek cover and perhaps escape with your loved one's

still under your protection. Small handguns and limited training will potentially

allow you an escape, but if you're going to go on offense, you really want to have a

fairly well honed skill-set and tools sufficient unto the task.

The small gun & knife combo is really suited to the survival/escape mind-frame - "I do not

want to hunt down the bad guy and stop him, I want to stop him from hurting me and mine

while I get them clear of the conflict."

There are a number of folks posting on this sight who've seen that elephant, and know

they can do it, I'm sure a lot of the rest of us believe or hope that we could do it,

but until you're faced with it, all you can do is train, and optimize your chances by

making tactically sound choices, not convenient ones.

Shadow Catcher

Archived