SASS Wire Forum

CCW weapon adjustment?

Trigger Mike

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I carry a S&W model 36 (5 shot 38. spl) with Hornady critical defense ammo as a pocket gun for most this and that running around, and in the summer.

Once fall hits it is a Colt Defender .45acp with 2 spare mags in all cases.

momentary discomfort is more acceptable than permanent death or injury as a result of being un-armed.

I believe everyone should have some means of self protection on them at all times as it makes the old adage "An armed society is a polite society" work.

I carry a S&W model 36 (5 shot 38. spl) with Hornady critical defense ammo as a pocket gun for most this and that running around, and in the summer.

Once fall hits it is a Colt Defender .45acp with 2 spare mags in all cases.

momentary discomfort is more acceptable than permanent death or injury as a result of being un-armed.

I believe everyone should have some means of self protection on them at all times as it makes the old adage "An armed society is a polite society" work.

Lefty, I did the same thing a year ago with Hornaday in all my guns, then I started reading multiple range reports and was shocked. Their Critical Duty line is the only thing that comes close to minimum FBI penetration criteria, I'd take a serious look at the Speer Gold Dot line of ammo. ;)

Your friend..BSD

I have a pocket sized 9mm (KelTec P11). Do I carry it much? Nope. What I mainly carry is either a Ruger SP101 or a Smith 65, both .357's. My carry load is Fiocchi .357 that come from the factory loaded with 158 grain Hornady XTP. I like heavy bullets, and I've seen what Hornady XTP bullets do to meat, and after talking to an LEO or two who knows from experience, that's what I settled on.

Like UB said, carryin' a gun concealed all the time is most definitely not physically comfortable, but if you're gonna carry ya gotta carry. It would really suck to reach for a holstered gun and suddenly realize it's at home in the safe because it wasn't comfortable carryin' it. That would most definitely emotionally uncomfortable, to say the least. As has been said, my opinion (which all know is worth what you pay for it) is that one should carry the biggest gun one can possibly conceal, and adjust your wardrobe accordingly...

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I do carry the vast majority of the time, so y'all can take the above for what it's worth to ya...

I saw an ad in a gun mag with Clint Smith (I think) that says, "Carrying a concealed weapon isn't supposed to be comfortable, its supposed to be comforting."

sorta. I have a S& W 6906 that I may try out for concealment use. I want a good pocket gun.

My wardrobe and amount of junk that I need to carry doesn't allow for pocket carry.

I slide mine in m y waistband and have at it. I have been carrying in this location for over 30 years. Why change now,, just because pockets are a new fad....

Plus, I can get my snubbie out of my waistband faster than anybody using a pocket carry and pistol in a holster for safe carry as long as they are not walking around looking like they are playing pocket pool...........LOL

Frankly - I think one needs to come at it from a different perspective.

If you accept that you carry a handgun because you feel that you should be armed in the event of a bad event - and

that carrying a combat rifle is probably not going to work very well, then you carry the next best thing - a combat

capable handgun.

Then you get into the most common trade space - do you carry enough gun and dress for it, or do you dress for

comfort and convenience, and pick a gun to suit?

If your priority is the gun being adequate to the need - pick that gun, and alter your wardrobe to suit.

If you're more worried about your style of dress - just pick the biggest handgun your clothes will conceal.

Either way -

Have a gun,

make sure it always goes bang,

make sure it hits where you point it,

make sure it hits that point as often as needed.

Everything else is debatable . . . .

Shadow Catcher

BTW - I am not comfortable with anything less than a.38 or 9mm. Gave up on the .380 and .22 long ago . . .

I also hate being in crowded places that lack cover and easy exit . . .

Truer words were never spoken.

I read somewheres if you strip naked and start masturbating, most anyone will leave you alone.

You just blinded my mind's eye....

This type of question has been popping up on several forums after the Colorado shootings, even on a LE board where the person was asking how they could conceal carry their duty weapon off duty. Let's remember that unless you could make a 15 yard moving head shot in the dark with tear gas deployed, no handgun caliber listed would defeat this wacko's body armour. 22 mag or 44 mag, no difference. ;)

BSD

I routinely carried my duty weapon before I retired. I didn't give twoo hoots about there being a slight bulge. I carried a Ruger Security Six, Colt Government Model. S&W Model 39. S&W Model 469, S&W Model 4516 and finished with a Glock 17. Now that I am retired and have a CCW, I try to keep the bulge less noticable with my S&W Model 640 in .357 Magnum loaded with maggies and my Glock 17 for cooler days.

Okay here's the deal. My opinion based on toting guns daily for several decades.

People want to be comfortable. That's understandable. But there are some sacrifices you must make if you want to carry a concealed firearm.

One is that in most areas you need a permit so you'll have to fork over cash and maybe go to some training. That may be uncomfortable for some.

Then you have to shell out cash for an adequate weapon that you can use to save your life and your loved ones. This is where people become uncomfortable again with the money aspect and look for the least expensive alternative. They have convinced themselves that they'll "probably never need it".

Then having looked at a variety of guns and listened to gun shop employees, friends, ccw instructors, etc. they go for a gun that is the most comfortable to wear. That usually means small and light, and probably a small caliber as well. The overriding thought of many is that it beats carrying a ball point pen or a rock. And of course that's true.

But...you might want to think for a minute if your life is worth just being "comfortable". Guns just aren't comfortable to carry despite the claims of firearm and holster manufacturers. It's just not very comfortable carrying around a concealed piece of steel, plastic, and wood. It takes a lot of getting used to. After a considerable period of time, and I'm talking months or years not weeks here, you will get used to it. Just like an infantryman gets used to living in a dirty hole and a trucker gets used to long hours on the road. They are not comfortable but they do what they have to. But who likes being uncomfortable? Nobody. So after awhile the gun gets left at home or a tiny pocket pistol is carried until it becomes uncomfortable and inconvenient too and that goes away. But it's okay because you'll probably never need it.

Carrying a gun takes some dedication. Dedication to self preservation, dedication to protecting your family, dedication to the Constitution if you will.

We can't have it the way we want all the time. Life just ain't that simple. Now I'm not saying you can't find a carry weapon that you won't like. I'm not saying there are not folks who will say they don't even notice their Model 29, or 1911, Thompson, or KelTec. I'm just saying that for me, carrying a gun has never been comfortable either physically or psychologically. I do it because I want to have some small amount of control over my own destiny and if it takes being a little uncomfortable, I can get used to it. Sometimes being comfortable is overrated.

Just my view. You may disagree. All I ask is you give it some thought.

Also very true...

Except the occasional hooker

and

the cops.

:lol:

I aint goin' there.....

At least with a 44 Mag or 45 ACP, the dude will have to pick his can off the floor to continue. Most likely, he will drop what he's shooting too. By then, there would be a chance to subdue him. The bigger the bullet, the better.

I was involved in a shooting incident where my partner took a dead center hit and wearing body armor, from a .44 magnum and immediately dropped the guy with a .38 Special Plus P. That addage of hitting people with big calibers and them dropping like rocks is so much hogwash...

The NAA .22 is an excellent choice for CONCEALED CARRY. It is p--- poor choice for PERSONAL DEFENSE.

Blackfoot :ph34r:

Better than a fist...

We have to face that fact that as soon as this guy walked in the room unless you were carrying a FNH Five Seven with the LE / Military only load you were totally outgunned.

As an aside I was looking a week ago and found about 10 of the Five Sevens on various wholesale sites. Sunday afternoon when the thought came to my head I went looking again and they were all gone. Coincedence? Doubt it.

I aint goin' there.....

Already been there ain't ya? ;)

Me too. :rolleyes:

Lefty, I did the same thing a year ago with Hornaday in all my guns, then I started reading multiple range reports and was shocked. Their Critical Duty line is the only thing that comes close to minimum FBI penetration criteria, I'd take a serious look at the Speer Gold Dot line of ammo. ;)

Your friend..BSD

I saw that same stuff, and wondered about it myself so I did some home grown testing, shooting the ammo at 'stuff' in my man cave. The bullets seemed to perform and expand as expected so, for now, they are where they are.

I do carry the Speer Gold Dots in my .45, the ones made for short barrel automatics.

This looks interesting

http://www.extremesh...fo.html&setup=1

Already been there ain't ya? ;)

Me too. :rolleyes:

No, I used to work the prostitution detail and I know how skanky most of them are.....

An aside note here is that this is a two edged sword. Folks will be wanting to buy hand guns to carry which will mean more gun owners. More weight for the second amendment devotees.

More folks will be paranoid about guns and will want to ban them all the more.

I am sure that a gun ban would not have had any effect on the current Colorado situation,

but I fear what will happen after the legal beagles and talking heads get through with it.

Two days after the fact, the talking heads were still carrying it as the breaking news story

of the day. I do not mean to belittle the fact, but if you had not heard all of the details about it

within those two days, that it was on every station on the airways, you are probably

not very well informed about the events surrounding the world.

I understand that this idiot has already dyed his hair red for some reason. I suppose it is to bolster a

plea of insanity. Or maybe he just wants to make a fashion statement.

A .22mag in the pocket is better than a .44 mag in the safe.

That said, I would not chose a .22 mag as a defensive handgun. There are too many reliable sub-compact 9mm's available today to bother with a sub-caliber pistol.

I will reevaluate. I had picked it based on what will fit in my pocket. I will try out other methods to carry. The mag was coming out of the 380 so I stopped using it. A buddy who was robbed told me to stop carrying in his back pocket as he could not get it out in time and it almost cost him. I had switched to the front.

I saw that same stuff, and wondered about it myself so I did some home grown testing, shooting the ammo at 'stuff' in my man cave. The bullets seemed to perform and expand as expected so, for now, they are where they are.

I do carry the Speer Gold Dots in my .45, the ones made for short barrel automatics.

This looks interesting

http://www.extremesh...fo.html&setup=1

No problem, just thought I'd mention it. My eyes were opened when I tried putting an injured Deer down with my 1911 loaded with their Critical Defense ammo, a point blank shot behind the ear didn't penetrate the skull and it took 2 shots to the heart to dispatch it. It seems like most of their line is light and under powered. ;)

BSD

My wardrobe and amount of junk that I need to carry doesn't allow for pocket carry.

I slide mine in m y waistband and have at it. I have been carrying in this location for over 30 years. Why change now,, just because pockets are a new fad....

Plus, I can get my snubbie out of my waistband faster than anybody using a pocket carry and pistol in a holster for safe carry as long as they are not walking around looking like they are playing pocket pool...........LOL

SP; I too have tended to carry a Colt 380 in my waistband and have never had an issue and I've always had enough belly to hide as well as secure it in place. I have a few snubbies, but haven't carried one in awhile.

For those carrying semi autos....do you carry an extra mag in the event of the need for a quick mag change in the event of a malfunction? Just asking...I make it a habit to always have at least one extra mag for whatever semi I'm carrying.

There has been a lot of good posting on this thread.....KK

No, I used to work the prostitution detail and I know how skanky most of them are.....

You missed my meaning. :lol:

SP; I too have tended to carry a Colt 380 in my waistband and have never had an issue and I've always had enough belly to hide as well as secure it in place. I have a few snubbies, but haven't carried one in awhile.

For those carrying semi autos....do you carry an extra mag in the event of the need for a quick mag change in the event of a malfunction? Just asking...I make it a habit to always have at least one extra mag for whatever semi I'm carrying.

There has been a lot of good posting on this thread.....KK

I always carry an extra mag.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Trigger Mike... don't worry 'bout it. I carry a .22 as my main CCW weapon...

But I also carry as backups... my two Springfield longslides in .45, Heckle and Jeckle... along with a Taurus PT 99AF in 9mm.

ts

But remember,

A .22LR to the BG's eye-socket,

Iz better'n a .45ACP that misses completely.

Shoot/Carry the gun you're comfortable/accurate with (the bigger the better, of course). ;)

[/size]For those carrying semi autos....do you carry an extra mag in the event of the need for a quick mag change in the event of a malfunction? Just asking...I make it a habit to always have at least one extra mag for whatever semi I'm carrying.

I never have. I know that it is a good idea for clearing a malfunction/etc, but I don't want to feel like I'm wearing a Batman utility belt just to run to Walmart. A P-11 with 13 rounds of 9mm should be enough. If not, the professionals should be handling the situation, not me.

Frankly - I think one needs to come at it from a different perspective.

If you accept that you carry a handgun because you feel that you should be armed in the event of a bad event - and

that carrying a combat rifle is probably not going to work very well, then you carry the next best thing - a combat

capable handgun.

Then you get into the most common trade space - do you carry enough gun and dress for it, or do you dress for

comfort and convenience, and pick a gun to suit?

If your priority is the gun being adequate to the need - pick that gun, and alter your wardrobe to suit.

If you're more worried about your style of dress - just pick the biggest handgun your clothes will conceal.

Either way -

Have a gun,

make sure it always goes bang,

make sure it hits where you point it,

make sure it hits that point as often as needed.

Everything else is debatable . . . .

Shadow Catcher

BTW - I am not comfortable with anything less than a.38 or 9mm. Gave up on the .380 and .22 long ago . . .

I also hate being in crowded places that lack cover and easy exit . . .

WOW!!! This is one of the absolute best posts I've ever seen on this subject. Bravo ShadowCatcher. :FlagAm:

I will reevaluate. I had picked it based on what will fit in my pocket. I will try out other methods to carry. The mag was coming out of the 380 so I stopped using it. A buddy who was robbed told me to stop carrying in his back pocket as he could not get it out in time and it almost cost him. I had switched to the front.

Once you decide what you want to carry, check out Crossbreed Holsters

Ugly as sin but, the most comfortable holster I've ever worn, inexpensive and lifetime gurantee. :FlagAm:

We all would carry a 12g on Tuesday if we knew that Tuesday the bad guy was going to come to get us.

You should always carry what ever you can handle and carry every day.

I am self employed so wile I am working I carry a LCP 380 .

Is it what I would prefer to carry ?

NO,

But I can carry my LCP and my customers dont know I am armed and they dont see a holster on my side.

When I am not working I prefer to carry my 1911 45 acp.

Now on the other hand my wife.

She is 5'3 98 pnds .

She has tried to shoot and carry several different guns .

None of witch she was comfortable with or could shoot well.

She finely found a 7 shot .22 auto, she shoots good and can carry comfortably.

Loaded with CCI stingers .

Some will say a .22 is to small for a CCW gun.

I will say No it is not ideal for everyone for a CCW gun.

But if you think most people are so tough they cant git hurt by that little .22

Two to the face three to the chest and two to the stomach .

I would say you read to much hype !

And you need to start carrying a 12g

You know, this post and recent events has got me to thinking and reviewing my CCW attitude. While I do shoot my carry gun a lot less than I should, I do try to religiously once a month. I am involved in tactical shooting which does raise ones awareness and hones the skills, but probably the biggest thing is what my buddy says all the time: "You should be looking/thinking about what you would do in a given circumstance.....at least a dozen or more times a day" if you do it a couple of hundred times....seek help.

His point is just like in the theater....survey the area when you go in....where do you want to sit....where are exits, etc.....do you sit on a aisle....best area for observation, etc. ....and at the gas pump, .....while in the bank .....at the mall ...the parking lot. We all probably could do a better job of being aware of our surroundings. I know we all do it part of the time....is it enough? I'm not going to get to the point of being paranoid...just prepared.

I've always said that in the rest of my life I will never have to fire my gun in selfdefense, but lately I think that may not be true. Things are getting weird....thank God most of my good friends are pro 2nd ammendment.

KK

I wonder about some of these perps. No doubt the North Hollywood boys were more than willing to fight to the end but I think they were exceptions not the rule. More than one wannabe gunman has ceased and fled when a little lead was sent back their way so I'm not convinced I buy into this "a CCH wouldn't have worked". It might not have but would sure as hell been better than a ball point pen.

KK makes and extremely valid point: situational awareness. Know what's in front of you instead of just waltzing along fat, dumb and happy...

A number of years ago, my wife and I attended a conference in Montreal. The conference was at the Wyndham on Saint Catherine Street, which is a major shopping thoroughfare in Montreal, so the sidewalks are always crowded. Being in a country other than that of my birth, no weapons except a pocket knife. An altercation developed about a half block ahead of us as we were walking toward the Hudson Bay megastore, and I had us across the street before my wife realized anything was wrong. Along with a bunch of the other people on the sidewalk, because several of them blundered right into the middle of the fight. Moral of the story: avoid trouble if at all possible. Running away from a fight before it becomes one doesn't make you a coward, it makes you smart. Deadly force is a last resort.

Never said "ccw wouldn't have worked" just said it was a real bad situation and the bad guy had all the advantage. Just kinda tired of all the "I would have done this" Monday morning quarterbacking from folks all over the internet, when they honestly can't say what they would have done in that real bad situation. Some of em watch too much TV.

As far as thee nutjob in this case, often severely mentally ill subjects are real difficult. They can be hyper focused, detached from reality to the point they feel no pain. I've seen em ignore tasers, chemical spray, punches and baton blows. This was no gang banger in droopy pants but unless I'm wrong, a real headcase..

But the bottom line is

If you have a shot, take it. And more power to ya.

You know, this post and recent events has got me to thinking and reviewing my CCW attitude. While I do shoot my carry gun a lot less than I should, I do try to religiously once a month. I am involved in tactical shooting which does raise ones awareness and hones the skills, but probably the biggest thing is what my buddy says all the time: "You should be looking/thinking about what you would do in a given circumstance.....at least a dozen or more times a day" if you do it a couple of hundred times....seek help.

His point is just like in the theater....survey the area when you go in....where do you want to sit....where are exits, etc.....do you sit on a aisle....best area for observation, etc. ....and at the gas pump, .....while in the bank .....at the mall ...the parking lot. We all probably could do a better job of being aware of our surroundings. I know we all do it part of the time....is it enough? I'm not going to get to the point of being paranoid...just prepared.

I've always said that in the rest of my life I will never have to fire my gun in selfdefense, but lately I think that may not be true. Things are getting weird....thank God most of my good friends are pro 2nd ammendment.

KK

Good for you. Jeff Cooper always preached that. ALWAYS be aware.

Years as cops have made it second nature for some of us. How many doors does this place have? Any weird looking customers around? (Saloonatics excepted)

Employees look nervous?

Where's some good cover if I need it?

And maybe the best but hardest to define: Does something just not feel right?

It's not paranoia, it's just good survival practice.

I have relied on a North American Arms .22 mag mini-revolver for many years. Of course it was in a hip pocket as backup to my duty pistol or my current carry, a Colt LW Government Model. I always carry a spare mag no matter where I go as long as it is legal for me to be armed.

In the theater scenario, if the perp had given me a good clear, close shot at the back of his head I might have obliged him. Otherwise I would be covering my loved ones and trying to melt into the floor. On the other hand there wouldn't be much chance of me being there. I don't take in many movies and I'm in bed by 10pm.

KK makes and extremely valid point: situational awareness. Know what's in front of you instead of just waltzing along fat, dumb and happy...

A number of years ago, my wife and I attended a conference in Montreal. The conference was at the Wyndham on Saint Catherine Street, which is a major shopping thoroughfare in Montreal, so the sidewalks are always crowded. Being in a country other than that of my birth, no weapons except a pocket knife. An altercation developed about a half block ahead of us as we were walking toward the Hudson Bay megastore, and I had us across the street before my wife realized anything was wrong. Along with a bunch of the other people on the sidewalk, because several of them blundered right into the middle of the fight. Moral of the story: avoid trouble if at all possible. Running away from a fight before it becomes one doesn't make you a coward, it makes you smart. Deadly force is a last resort.

\\

I really like that expression of "Situational Awareness". We really need to be aware of our surroundings. Back to the subject at hand I have been pm'ing a bud about this and we both agree that we would both be kissing the concrete in this situation....protecting our family and looking for a means of escape. I do know that wherever I decided to go it would be crawling and not standing and being a target.

On another note, out of curiosity, I called three gun shops and asked about AR's to find that "AR's" were the hot item....flying off the shelf.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Good for you. Jeff Cooper always preached that. ALWAYS be aware.

Years as cops have made it second nature for some of us. How many doors does this place have? Any weird looking customers around? (Saloonatics excepted)

Employees look nervous?

Where's some good cover if I need it?

And maybe the best but hardest to define: Does something just not feel right?

It's not paranoia, it's just good survival practice.

"Awareness."

Reminds me of the Robert De Niro charactor in the movie, Ronin.

ts

"Awareness."

Reminds me of the Robert De Niro charactor in the movie, Ronin.

ts

What's the color of the boathouse at Hereford? :lol:

Archived